Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abishagenaden is on a distinguished road
Question Convert employment-based petition to marriage-based petition?

I initiated my employer-based petition back in 2006, and have since gone through biometrics and the medical check up. I believe I am now just stuck at the last stage of the petition, i.e. waiting for the backlog to clear.

I recently got married to a US citizen -- I understand that I am free to file a separate marriage-based petition, but at the same time I have heard that it might be possible to 'transfer' my current employment-based petition into a marriage-based petition (so that I do not have to go through certain steps again, such as the medical check-up, etc.). Is this true, and if so, what are the steps involved?

Thanks in advance!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not true

FAMILY IS completely different from EB.
You can jump between categories EB3 to EB2 but you can't jump from one system to another.
Why?

The way FB is processed is very different from EB.
In FB you need I-130 which should be filed by spouse, she is the sponseror.
In FB there is different BIO METRICS INFORMATION NEEDED.
IF you are filing all these things it is as good as fiing a new application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishagenaden View Post
I initiated my employer-based petition back in 2006, and have since gone through biometrics and the medical check up. I believe I am now just stuck at the last stage of the petition, i.e. waiting for the backlog to clear.

I recently got married to a US citizen -- I understand that I am free to file a separate marriage-based petition, but at the same time I have heard that it might be possible to 'transfer' my current employment-based petition into a marriage-based petition (so that I do not have to go through certain steps again, such as the medical check-up, etc.). Is this true, and if so, what are the steps involved?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute

You may have your spouse file I-130 and after it's approved you may send a copy to the Service Center where your I-485 is pending and ask that they interfile the I-130 into your pending I-485. It's a hit or miss as I've read of cases where this procedure worked and others where USCIS insisted that another I-485 be submitted. Who knows, it may be your lucky day. All the best.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnaija View Post
You may have your spouse file I-130 and after it's approved you may send a copy to the Service Center where your I-485 is pending and ask that they interfile the I-130 into your pending I-485. It's a hit or miss as I've read of cases where this procedure worked and others where USCIS insisted that another I-485 be submitted. Who knows, it may be your lucky day. All the best.
Thanks fromnaija -- does anyone know why interfiling would work in some cases, but not in other cases?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Also, I found some instances where folks have had some success in their interfiling process, like here as an example.

Can anyone (who has possibly been through the process) shed some light on whether it is a feasible option, and what the pros and cons are?