Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   All other Green Card Issues (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/)
-   -   non-permanent aliens or non resident aliens (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/16313-non-permanent-aliens-or-non-resident-aliens.html)

KanME 12-26-2007 01:05 PM

non-permanent aliens or non resident aliens

Hello all,
not sure if this topic has been touched before; if we have a i-485 application filed; do we qualify as:
1) non-permanent resident aliens
OR
2) non-resident aliens?

thanks

WeShallOvercome 12-26-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KanME (Post 209886)
Hello all,
not sure if this topic has been touched before; if we have a i-485 application filed; do we qualify as:
OR
2) non-resident aliens?

thanks

Filing I-485 makes you an 'adjustee' (Under Adjustment of Status).
But you continue to be a non-resident alien under AOS if you keep working on H1. If you switch to EAD/AP, you are just an Adjustee waiting for your status to be adjusted to that of a permanent resident.

KanME 12-26-2007 01:15 PM

Thanks for reply... that clears things a little. :)

venram 12-26-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KanME (Post 209886)
Hello all,
OR
2) non-resident aliens?

thanks

I suppose you are living in USA.

On the second option "non-resident alien", if you are residing in USA, then you are not considered as non-resident. So I would eliminate this option.

On the first option "non-permanent resident alien", if you are residing in USA, I would choose this as the right option. Since holding an H1B means that you are a temporary (non-permanent) resident alien. Holding an EAD does not allow you to stay here permanently. It is only a temporary authorization to allow you to work without H1B. Remember that it requires renewal every year.

To answer your question, you are a non-permanent resident alien.

kumar1 12-26-2007 01:48 PM

Context.

Context is very important here. IRS has its own rules, USCIS has got its own and then universities have their own set of rules. I have had a lot of fight with university to get in-state tution fee on H-4 visa. So please explain your context and I can shed some more light on this topic (based on my own experience).

WeShallOvercome 12-26-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venram (Post 209889)
I suppose you are living in USA.

On the second option "non-resident alien", if you are residing in USA, then you are not considered as non-resident. So I would eliminate this option.

On the first option "non-permanent resident alien", if you are residing in USA, I would choose this as the right option. Since holding an H1B means that you are a temporary (non-permanent) resident alien. Holding an EAD does not allow you to stay here permanently. It is only a temporary authorization to allow you to work without H1B. Remember that it requires renewal every year.

To answer your question, you are a non-permanent resident alien.

Venram,

I'm afraid your understanding of the term 'resident' or 'non-resident' is not correct.

In US immigration jargon, a resident-alien is someone who lives and works in US on a permanent basis- like on a Green card.
The term non-resident here does not mean that you are not residing in the US. It only means that you are an alien, living and/or working in the US on a temporary basis, and you are not a (Permanent) resident.

Resident alien - An alien living here on a permanent basis
NonResident Alien - An alien living here on a temporary basis

I've never heard of the term 'non-permanent Resident alien'.. I think it is same as non-resident alien..

Pineapple 12-26-2007 02:05 PM

On a lighter note..

Given that many have spent 10 years, or almost a third of their lives here, they can hardly be called "aliens". Also, given that nothing is permanent, I propose the following term:

Non-permanent, resident, non-alien :D

hpandey 12-26-2007 02:31 PM

Well

Both are wrong answers .. no one is an alien .. we are all human beings :D

Just kidding ..

But on a serious note I think we fall under non-resident alien.

kumar1 12-26-2007 02:58 PM

H1/H4/L1/L2... - Non-Permanent Resident Alien
F1/F2 - Non-Permanent Non-resident Alien.
Green Card - Permanent Resident Alien.
Citizen - Naturalized citizen

Resident and Non-resident make a difference in taxation.

Non Permanent Resident Alien - If you are on H-1, they call you non-permanent resident alien. “Non-Permanent” because you are on a temporary visa, resident because IRS treats you just like any other US citizen living in that state.

Non-Permanent Non-Resident alien - Foreign students fall in this category (but it is not limited to them). “Non Permanent” comes from F-1 visa which is a temporary visa and Non Resident because you do not have intentions to live in the US permanently (or at least that is the farce that US embassy wants to listen). If you are on F-1 visa during, that time period you are not supposed to pay social security (6.5%) and Medicare taxes. Thanks to Non-Resident status. This is also applicable during 1 year OPT work permit that comes after F1.

Permanent Resident Alien - Permanent word is there because you have long term visa (yes, green cars is nothing but a long term visa) and resident because IRS will tax you like any other resident citizen.

Let me know if I am wrong anywhere. Thanks

gjoe 12-26-2007 03:32 PM

I want my alien ship

I am not able to find the alien ship which I parked at JFK when I came here. Is it with NASA or the CIA?

;)

kumar1 12-26-2007 03:37 PM

It is with Laloo Prasad Yadav.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjoe (Post 209915)
I am not able to find the alien ship which I parked at JFK when I came here. Is it with NASA or the CIA?

;)

WeShallOvercome 12-26-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjoe (Post 209915)

;)

Check out the USCIS headquarters and look for the junk yard there..

GKBest 12-26-2007 07:31 PM

In-state tuition for H-4

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumar1 (Post 209892)
Context is very important here. IRS has its own rules, USCIS has got its own and then universities have their own set of rules. I have had a lot of fight with university to get in-state tution fee on H-4 visa. So please explain your context and I can shed some more light on this topic (based on my own experience).

Can you tell me more about your fight with universities in getting an instate tuition under H-4? My son have been a CA resident for the past 7 years and has studied in CA schools. Doesn't this qualify him for an in-state tuition? What documents does he need to present to the university to show that he is qualified?

whattodo 12-26-2007 09:20 PM

Well said, Kumar1. It seems like you have done PhD on immigration matters. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumar1 (Post 209906)
H1/H4/L1/L2... - Non-Permanent Resident Alien
F1/F2 - Non-Permanent Non-resident Alien.
Green Card - Permanent Resident Alien.
Citizen - Naturalized citizen

Resident and Non-resident make a difference in taxation.

Non Permanent Resident Alien - If you are on H-1, they call you non-permanent resident alien. “Non-Permanent” because you are on a temporary visa, resident because IRS treats you just like any other US citizen living in that state.

Non-Permanent Non-Resident alien - Foreign students fall in this category (but it is not limited to them). “Non Permanent” comes from F-1 visa which is a temporary visa and Non Resident because you do not have intentions to live in the US permanently (or at least that is the farce that US embassy wants to listen). If you are on F-1 visa during, that time period you are not supposed to pay social security (6.5%) and Medicare taxes. Thanks to Non-Resident status. This is also applicable during 1 year OPT work permit that comes after F1.

Permanent Resident Alien - Permanent word is there because you have long term visa (yes, green cars is nothing but a long term visa) and resident because IRS will tax you like any other resident citizen.

Let me know if I am wrong anywhere. Thanks

keshmahajan 01-07-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKBest (Post 209986)
Can you tell me more about your fight with universities in getting an instate tuition under H-4? My son have been a CA resident for the past 7 years and has studied in CA schools. Doesn't this qualify him for an in-state tuition? What documents does he need to present to the university to show that he is qualified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1
Context is very important here. IRS has its own rules, USCIS has got its own and then universities have their own set of rules. I have had a lot of fight with university to get in-state tution fee on H-4 visa. So please explain your context and I can shed some more light on this topic (based on my own experience). ?[/quote]

Hi GKBest/Kumar1
Can you please let me know how to get in-state tution fee. What documents does he need to present to the university to show that he is qualified?