Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/11/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
KanME has a spectacular aura about KanME has a spectacular aura about KanME has a spectacular aura about
Question non-permanent aliens or non resident aliens

Hello all,
not sure if this topic has been touched before; if we have a i-485 application filed; do we qualify as:
1) non-permanent resident aliens
OR
2) non-resident aliens?

thanks
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MA_Immigration_Voice/
Recurring contributions to IV ...
Attended Advocacy in DC April 2011 and September 2011
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanME View Post
Hello all,
not sure if this topic has been touched before; if we have a i-485 application filed; do we qualify as:
OR
2) non-resident aliens?

thanks

Filing I-485 makes you an 'adjustee' (Under Adjustment of Status).
But you continue to be a non-resident alien under AOS if you keep working on H1. If you switch to EAD/AP, you are just an Adjustee waiting for your status to be adjusted to that of a permanent resident.

Chapter : WA

ATTENDED DC RALLY
Contacted Law-makers
Contributed $275 so far
Brought 3 new contributing members to IV

Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/11/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
KanME has a spectacular aura about KanME has a spectacular aura about KanME has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for reply... that clears things a little.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MA_Immigration_Voice/
Recurring contributions to IV ...
Attended Advocacy in DC April 2011 and September 2011

Old 12-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Compare
venram has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanME View Post
Hello all,
OR
2) non-resident aliens?

thanks
I suppose you are living in USA.

On the second option "non-resident alien", if you are residing in USA, then you are not considered as non-resident. So I would eliminate this option.

On the first option "non-permanent resident alien", if you are residing in USA, I would choose this as the right option. Since holding an H1B means that you are a temporary (non-permanent) resident alien. Holding an EAD does not allow you to stay here permanently. It is only a temporary authorization to allow you to work without H1B. Remember that it requires renewal every year.

To answer your question, you are a non-permanent resident alien.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Context.

Context is very important here. IRS has its own rules, USCIS has got its own and then universities have their own set of rules. I have had a lot of fight with university to get in-state tution fee on H-4 visa. So please explain your context and I can shed some more light on this topic (based on my own experience).

Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by venram View Post
I suppose you are living in USA.

On the second option "non-resident alien", if you are residing in USA, then you are not considered as non-resident. So I would eliminate this option.

On the first option "non-permanent resident alien", if you are residing in USA, I would choose this as the right option. Since holding an H1B means that you are a temporary (non-permanent) resident alien. Holding an EAD does not allow you to stay here permanently. It is only a temporary authorization to allow you to work without H1B. Remember that it requires renewal every year.

To answer your question, you are a non-permanent resident alien.
Venram,

I'm afraid your understanding of the term 'resident' or 'non-resident' is not correct.

In US immigration jargon, a resident-alien is someone who lives and works in US on a permanent basis- like on a Green card.
The term non-resident here does not mean that you are not residing in the US. It only means that you are an alien, living and/or working in the US on a temporary basis, and you are not a (Permanent) resident.

Resident alien - An alien living here on a permanent basis
NonResident Alien - An alien living here on a temporary basis

I've never heard of the term 'non-permanent Resident alien'.. I think it is same as non-resident alien..

ATTENDED DC RALLY
Contacted Law-makers
Contributed $275 so far

Old 12-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of
Default On a lighter note..

Given that many have spent 10 years, or almost a third of their lives here, they can hardly be called "aliens". Also, given that nothing is permanent, I propose the following term:

Non-permanent, resident, non-alien

Old 12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well

Both are wrong answers .. no one is an alien .. we are all human beings

Just kidding ..

But on a serious note I think we fall under non-resident alien.

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

Old 12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

H1/H4/L1/L2... - Non-Permanent Resident Alien
F1/F2 - Non-Permanent Non-resident Alien.
Green Card - Permanent Resident Alien.
Citizen - Naturalized citizen

Resident and Non-resident make a difference in taxation.

Non Permanent Resident Alien - If you are on H-1, they call you non-permanent resident alien. “Non-Permanent” because you are on a temporary visa, resident because IRS treats you just like any other US citizen living in that state.

Non-Permanent Non-Resident alien - Foreign students fall in this category (but it is not limited to them). “Non Permanent” comes from F-1 visa which is a temporary visa and Non Resident because you do not have intentions to live in the US permanently (or at least that is the farce that US embassy wants to listen). If you are on F-1 visa during, that time period you are not supposed to pay social security (6.5%) and Medicare taxes. Thanks to Non-Resident status. This is also applicable during 1 year OPT work permit that comes after F1.

Permanent Resident Alien - Permanent word is there because you have long term visa (yes, green cars is nothing but a long term visa) and resident because IRS will tax you like any other resident citizen.

Let me know if I am wrong anywhere. Thanks

Last edited by kumar1; 12-26-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all
Post I want my alien ship

I am not able to find the alien ship which I parked at JFK when I came here. Is it with NASA or the CIA?

I485 Appl Mailed - 5Jul2007
I485 Appl ND - 7Sep2007
FP date -??
I485 Approval - ??

Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare

It is with Laloo Prasad Yadav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post
I am not able to find the alien ship which I parked at JFK when I came here. Is it with NASA or the CIA?

Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post

Check out the USCIS headquarters and look for the junk yard there..

ATTENDED DC RALLY
Contacted Law-makers
Contributed $275 so far

Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GKBest is on a distinguished road
Default In-state tuition for H-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
Context is very important here. IRS has its own rules, USCIS has got its own and then universities have their own set of rules. I have had a lot of fight with university to get in-state tution fee on H-4 visa. So please explain your context and I can shed some more light on this topic (based on my own experience).
Can you tell me more about your fight with universities in getting an instate tuition under H-4? My son have been a CA resident for the past 7 years and has studied in CA schools. Doesn't this qualify him for an in-state tuition? What documents does he need to present to the university to show that he is qualified?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/10/2008
Compare
whattodo is on a distinguished road

Well said, Kumar1. It seems like you have done PhD on immigration matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
H1/H4/L1/L2... - Non-Permanent Resident Alien
F1/F2 - Non-Permanent Non-resident Alien.
Green Card - Permanent Resident Alien.
Citizen - Naturalized citizen

Resident and Non-resident make a difference in taxation.

Non Permanent Resident Alien - If you are on H-1, they call you non-permanent resident alien. “Non-Permanent” because you are on a temporary visa, resident because IRS treats you just like any other US citizen living in that state.

Non-Permanent Non-Resident alien - Foreign students fall in this category (but it is not limited to them). “Non Permanent” comes from F-1 visa which is a temporary visa and Non Resident because you do not have intentions to live in the US permanently (or at least that is the farce that US embassy wants to listen). If you are on F-1 visa during, that time period you are not supposed to pay social security (6.5%) and Medicare taxes. Thanks to Non-Resident status. This is also applicable during 1 year OPT work permit that comes after F1.

Permanent Resident Alien - Permanent word is there because you have long term visa (yes, green cars is nothing but a long term visa) and resident because IRS will tax you like any other resident citizen.

Let me know if I am wrong anywhere. Thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
keshmahajan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKBest View Post
Can you tell me more about your fight with universities in getting an instate tuition under H-4? My son have been a CA resident for the past 7 years and has studied in CA schools. Doesn't this qualify him for an in-state tuition? What documents does he need to present to the university to show that he is qualified?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1
Context is very important here. IRS has its own rules, USCIS has got its own and then universities have their own set of rules. I have had a lot of fight with university to get in-state tution fee on H-4 visa. So please explain your context and I can shed some more light on this topic (based on my own experience). ?[/quote]

Hi GKBest/Kumar1
Can you please let me know how to get in-state tution fee. What documents does he need to present to the university to show that he is qualified?