Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future
Default Prospects/Future for IT (QA) jobs in USA

I am in non-IT engineering field having stressful job, as my job is always challanging. Though, I have good career record, I want to get into relaxing job. I am getting advise to change my field to IT. Few of them advise me to take course in QA or SAP to change the field.

As most of the forum members are in IT field, perhaps this is a right place to get some advise.

I want to have a relaxing/flexible job as I want to enjoy the job (no brainy job, as I have done enough in my field). Are these QA or SAP jobs are stress free? What is the prospects or future for those jobs in long term? Before giving up 10 year career in engineering, I would like to do trade studies.

Thanks..
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
monkeyman has a spectacular aura about monkeyman has a spectacular aura about

Let me start off by saying this is simply not the right forum for such discussions. You are better off using monster.com or some other job related sights.

As far as changing the fields go, assuming you have the authorization to work - you can change. But QA jobs these days are hard to come by and mostly happens in different countries and most of the existing jobs have been bangalored. And an effective QA job requires some kind of experience in the software development or related field. A non effective QA job is simply testing and chances of you retaining the job for more than 2 years is very slim. The thinking behind that is a more person gets involved with testing, the more he/she understands the testing and less rigorous the testing becomes.

SAP courses are good once you understand the nuts and bolts. But its challenging and requires you to have lots of people skills and ability to convince people that their business must run per SAP and not viceversa. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Notice Date: 9/7/2007
EAD Approved: 9/27/2007
FP Notices Received: 9/23/07 (App. Dt 10/13/2007)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ups has a spectacular aura about ups has a spectacular aura about

I think QA jobs are relaxing. I don't know about SAP job. And there are only few engineer QA in my company. All other are just with some other bachelor degree. I think company has very hard time finding expert QA and they hire anybody for that job and pay decent salary.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold ski_dude12 is a splendid one to behold

lol @ Bangalored
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
the existing jobs have been bangalored...

Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

Most SAP jobs are stressful. SAP Functional consultant jobs does not require heavy coding but most jobs are stressful and also contract jobs are uncertain and short but can get good rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ups View Post
I think QA jobs are relaxing. I don't know about SAP job. And there are only few engineer QA in my company. All other are just with some other bachelor degree. I think company has very hard time finding expert QA and they hire anybody for that job and pay decent salary.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2007
Compare
GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts
Default QA job is just like any other job

Hi

First let me tell you that QA jobs are not relaxing & easy as some people think about it.It all depends on whats you aim & where you want to go in your career.There ample of QA-Testing jobs here & in India too.I have been working in QA for last 7-8 years & have worked on 3-4 assignments. I have hardly been on bench for more than 1 month.Its the way you look at things. I have also earned decent money in these years & I still make good money compared to some friends in development.
There are lot of QA-testing tools available from different vendors which you should try to learn , They will give you lot of exposure & demand in the market place.

Remember, Every job has its own value.No job is worthless.

Thanks
GCcomesoon

Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
mheggade is just really nice mheggade is just really nice mheggade is just really nice mheggade is just really nice mheggade is just really nice

I hear SAP Functional jobs are very short term though you make good money. Some companies want you to be ready for 100% travel.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
aquarianf is on a distinguished road

in NY/Nj area QA rates are really getting down. Last couple of weeks I conducted few interviews and found that people are ready to work at $25.00 and some non-experiences candidates offered their services free for couple of months to just gain some real experience.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lkapildev is infamous around these parts lkapildev is infamous around these parts

[quote=Ramba;211906] You be better in that stressfull Job. Donot judge before seeing IT QA Jobs. This job is firing or else you will be fired and someone from BLR and HYD will take your job.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future

Thanks all for the advise/comments. Mixed opinion. I was hearing that, because of Indian Rs gaining stongly aganist US$, outsourcing to India is not cheap anymore. I also informed that hiring fulltime/permanent employee in US is cheaper than outsourcing. I do not know howmuch true it is.

IS all QA jobs are shorterm in nature? As I have already a GC, is it easy to get fulltime (longterm)/permanent job in QA?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/18/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
HumHongeKamiyab is on a distinguished road
Default How to get a QA job?

How to get a QA/Tester job in software? My wife is MCOM from india (no work experience), what are the things she need to know to get a job in Q/A?
Are there any courses/tools she can learn?

Thanks,

Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
laksmi is on a distinguished road

I think H1B quota should be decreased because lots of people available with no jobs in the market, it looks like survival of fittest, even person with good skill set not getting job immediately due to new new consulting company coming into market doing irregular things like less rates etc etc……………. to survive themselves.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
va_217 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

they even do interviews for them to get the job and pay less to the consultant

Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

No offense to anyone but I think this is how the market is flooded sometimes with short term trained and oppurtunisticly timing decisions made by people.

Before you change careers I think you ought to see whether it really fits ur goals and aspirations..my 2 cents... CHances are you may not even like that job and want ot get trained in something else...I dont make a boat load of money but I like my job so far...however if money is the sole (please dont confuse this with means of living) reason to get into any job there are so many jobs and fields one can explore and change often...Its all your personal choice...

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laksmi View Post
I think H1B quota should be decreased because lots of people available with no jobs in the market, it looks like survival of fittest, even person with good skill set not getting job immediately due to new new consulting company coming into market doing irregular things like less rates etc etc……………. to survive themselves.

kinda agree with u on this