Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default For all Greencard holders: Post your experience

As our members get greencards, we are happy for them and wish them good luck for future. Please continue to support Immigrationvoice and visit this site to help others waiting in line. If there are sufficient greencard holder members, we can even take up issues confronting greencard applicants in future.

This thread is to start a discussion and hear experiences from members who have received their greencard. Please write –

- How has greencard changed your life after receiving it?
- What did you do on the day you received it?
- How did the long wait upset your life?
- How did immigrationvoice help you during this long wait?
- Would you like to continue your support to immigration voice and help others waiting?
- Any advice for everyone?

Once anyone received his greencard, please update the IV tracker too. We like to see how many members in IV are greencard holders and what is the current trend of approvals in our membership

http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...cker&Itemid=63
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2005
Compare
EB2_Jun03_dude will become famous soon enough
Default I think this is important

Just like many of us, I am living in this country legally for the last 10 years. After some anxious 5 years wait, I finally got GC last month. IV is definitely the best thing to happen to legal-immigration in US.

Many of us come to this country to escape the rotten bureaucracy in our native places and are completely taken back when we face a similar system in US. The work IV is doing and can do is enormous.

Getting GC is an important milestone in an immigrant's journey. But again remember it is just a milestone and not the destination(CZship). I know you do not want to look beyond GC, but after surviving through the GC processs and paying regular taxes for 10 years I think we deserve a speed pass for CZship and should not sent in another line.

I wish all IV members a fast and safe GC/CZ journey !

Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

To all the sufferers, please pursue your case with vigor at every opportunity.

I am glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I saw a welcome e-mail from USCIS today in the morning. Took 6 years to get the GC with a total stay of 10 years.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold kevinkris is a splendid one to behold
Default bump..

can't wait to see responses from GC holders..

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
webm will become famous soon enough
Default Freed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCwaitforever View Post
To all the sufferers, please pursue your case with vigor at every opportunity.

I am glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I saw a welcome e-mail from USCIS today in the morning. Took 6 years to get the GC with a total stay of 10 years.
Congrats!! pal..

Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
As our members get greencards, we are happy for them and wish them good luck for future. Please continue to support Immigrationvoice and visit this site to help others waiting in line. If there are sufficient greencard holder members, we can even take up issues confronting greencard applicants in future.

This thread is to start a discussion and hear experiences from members who have received their greencard. Please write –

No Material Change, except i can go to Canada on business trips without any hassle and dont have to get fingerprinted while re-entering US

Since i had gotten the email from USCIS that its in mail - so no surprises

I only waited 7 months - so no upsets - even before my GC was filed - i was in US for only about 2 years or so - so no big deal - in those 2 years - my employer did not discriminate in terms of promotions/ pay hikes etc. I had bought a house even before my GC was filed and spouse could work because of my L1 status

Not Applicable since IV is not really focused (and rightly so) on my GC category

- Would you like to continue your support to immigration voice and help others waiting?

Sure - some of my closest friends are in H1B and i see how the long wait affects them and their families - having said that - i like to make up my mind (rightly or otherwise) about which initiatives are good or bad/ effective or ineffective- so as and when I see initiatives i get excited about like flower campaign, letters to various lawmakers etc- happy to help

GC and Citizenship should not prevent anyone from pursuing their career and personal dreams - if not US - there are other countries where your skills would be welcome. Personally - i have given priority to career and family life ahead of visa issues and rest has automatically fallen into place

Once anyone received his greencard, please update the IV tracker too. We like to see how many members in IV are greencard holders and what is the current trend of approvals in our membership

http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...cker&Itemid=63
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Last edited by sayantan76; 05-08-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hypersphere is infamous around these parts

EB2, India, PD-oct 2003, RD-June 2007, I485- May 1st 2008.

o Nothing materially and noticeably. A minor nuisance out of the way.
o Was glad but no celebration.
o Yes for a while. But the entire episode changed my outlook and showed me a different perspective. After being frustrated for a while I realized I should not called myself “skilled” if I cannot navigate the rather simple green card mess. People are successful despite extraordinary physical handicaps and here I was restraining myself under the simple excuse of GC. I realized that I had to and could create oppurtunities for myself, without GC and without being in the US. Fortunately at that very time I got my EAD (June 2007). I gave myself a hard limit of 1 year and if GC did not materialize in a year I would ditch the effort and move to plan B. By april this year I began taking steps towards a change of job. My prospective job title was going were different but I was willing to risk the GC. Now I was wishing I should not get a GC since I would need to shelve plan B for 6 months. And suddenly on May 1st I got the GC, just when I did not want it!
o Tremendously. When GC was important to me, it gave me a platform where I could act to make a change. I haven’t been active but just contributed a couple of hundred dollars to the cause.
o No, the cause has long ceased to be important to me.
o Don’t create impediments for yourself by hanging onto GC and getting frustrated. Move on, there is plenty of good life outside clutches of GC!

Good luck to all, with or without GC life will work out good for you and your families!!
EAD approved

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2004
Compare
priti8888 will become famous soon enough priti8888 will become famous soon enough

EB3 INDIA
PD AUG 2004
LABOR APPROVED NOV 2004
485 FILED DEC 2004
485 APPROVED JULY 2007

Labor first applied in 2000, Went down the drain in 2003(husband got laidoff). Applied again through another employer in 2004

No change. But the sense of relief and freedom is good.

Woke up parents in India to share news. Did not get off work early. But went to a Thai Restaurant for dinner.
I shopped till I dropped the following Saturday. Felt guilty about spending too much and returned everything next Sunday

Quite a bit. It was always on back of the mind.Once bitten twice shy.Was
always worried about economy. Unable to buy home.Paid 30 % more on home due to GC delay. Unable to change job responsibilities (most upsetting)

Had never heard of IV belfore July 2 fiasco. Kudos to IV for the San jose rally. I was there. -

Would you like to continue your support to immigration voice and help others waiting?

Yes yes of course-

Any advice for everyone?

Believe me , GC related problem is better then any other problem. Count your blessing because the hurdle of your life at this pont is a freedom card called "GC". You all know that there are several BIGGER obstacles in life that each of us will have to face.
After your GC is done, another problem(big or small) will knock on your door

http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...cker&Itemid=63[/quote]

Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Compare
venram has a little shameless behaviour in the past

No big change in my life. Just continuing to live my life as I have been doing all the time. I had never restricted myself due to not having green card in my hand.

Called my wife first after seeing the emails to share the news. Then immediately called the near and dear ones in India to share the news.

It did not impact my life as such. Since the time I entered US, I have been having a good job that pays well (I work for a top financial company). Only impact was that I could not travel to India freely due to the H1B stamping requirement. Every time I travelled to India, I had to spend additional time here in US to collect documents and the required things for visa stamping and hand to spend invaluable time in India to go through the visa stamping process.

The internet site was very helpful as there were lot of people sharing information and ideas.

Yes

Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Bpositive is a splendid one to behold Bpositive is a splendid one to behold Bpositive is a splendid one to behold Bpositive is a splendid one to behold Bpositive is a splendid one to behold Bpositive is a splendid one to behold Bpositive is a splendid one to behold
Default re-entry permit

Now that you have green cards, you may have considered/thought about reentry permits.

Can you get multiple reentry permits i.e one 2 permit followed by a second 1 or 2 year permit?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2004
Compare
chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold chmur is a splendid one to behold
Default Well Said

"GC and Citizenship should not prevent anyone from pursuing their career and personal dreams - if not US - there are other countries where your skills would be welcome. Personally - i have given priority to career and family life ahead of visa issues and rest has automatically fallen into place"

I know this is easier said than done but I think for most part I have moved on .I have not got my GC yet (PD Nov 2003 EB3 -India) but allow me to chime in .

Actually I had little interest in pursuing GC to begin with(Mistake). Could have started earlier than I actually did and was lucky to breeze thru Labour and 140 stages(< 6 months) and did not follow I-485 progress till June -1 st 2007

Then suddenly in next 4-5 months browsed every info /problems/issues with GC. Made 3 info pass appointments(Name Check cleared), initiated 2 separate inquiries one thru OMBUDSMAN. must have called USCIS about 10 times and checked the online status atleast 3 times a day . Pedantic. Mostly because my application was pre-approved and lot applications around my PD's were approved and I thought I was really close . Alas, that was not to be . I was pretty dissapointed for a few months.

However in the last 6 months I have moved on mentally, I browse IV and consider other options like switching to Eb2 but gone are those pedantic days followed by huge disappointments.

Planning a career move with AC21/EAD option.
contributed $200 so far
Sent the letters for Administration Reforms
Called the congressmans- All the listed ones

Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayantan76 View Post
There is something seriously wrong here.....one gets red dots for even simply truthfully recording answers to some questions asked by administrator......or are the red dots simply to protest/ express displeasure with the fact that my GC process was not as difficult as some other people.......its like "misery likes company" - i am miserable bcos i dont have a GC and hence am pissed off at this guy who despite not being crazy about GC got his in 7 months.........so i will give him red dots..............

Guys - get over it.........look at the general tone of posts from all on this particular thread - GC did not make any "big" change to most folks.......

For the more rational beings - i genuinely hope that you get your gcs within reasonable wait times and the waiting time does not take away from the personal and professional successes you deserve!
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Last edited by sayantan76; 05-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayantan76 View Post
There is something seriously wrong here.....one gets red dots for even simply truthfully recording answers to some questions asked by administrator......or are the red dots simply to protest/ express displeasure with the fact that my GC process was not as difficult as some other people.......its like "misery likes company" - i am miserable bcos i dont have a GC and hence am pissed off at this guy who despite not being crazy about GC got his in 7 months.........so i will give him red dots..............

Guys - get over it.........look at the general tone of posts from all on this particular thread - GC did not make any "big" change to most folks.......

For the more rational beings - i genuinely hope that you get your gcs within reasonable wait times and the waiting time does not take away from the personal and professional successes you deserve!
I gave you a green, if that helps.. perhaps someone did not notice the EB category in your signature. In any case, I agree it was unfair.
I hope you will stay engaged with the IV community, and help the rest of us in achieving our goals. We need everyone, not just those waiting for a GC, in this effort.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

A big weight off my shoulders. Much more freedom in getting new jobs. Easier to travel. Planning to buy a house finally!!!
Went out with friends and just enjoyed the feeling of freedom
-How did the long wait upset your life?
The feeling of uncertanity was terrible. Had to put lots of stuff on hold, like buying a house.
-How did immigrationvoice help you during this long wait?
The forum on this web site was like a gem. Learnt a lot from the experiences of the others.
YES
Don't give up but ALWAYS have a back up plan. If you are not interested in returning home, consider a second option like the Canadain PR status as plan B

Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dhurinder is on a distinguished road
Default EB3-India : PD : May 2002 , GC AD : June 2007

It was a relief. No change on the work or personal side of life. Still at the same job. It pays well (always has) and I like it.

Called my wife (who was in India). Bought a bottle of 'Blue Label' and polished it off in one night. Skipped the next day at work b'cos of the hangover.

** For people who wonder what happens if your GC is approved when you are in India. My wife was in India when our GC was approved. I did not mail her the GC. She entered US using Advance Parole. At the POE, she was asked if she was aware that her GC was approved. She did say "yes" and she was welcomed into US without any hassles.

The wait was long (PD : May 2002 , GC AD : June 2007). The initial stage (2002 to 2004) was carefree (not worried about GC. More focussed on establishing career). The middle stage (2005 to 2006) was painful. We were in the I485 stage for almost 3 years. Then the final stage (2006 onwards) was carefree again. We had given up on the GC process and had decided that it will come when it has to come. We even bought a house in 2006 and decided to live life as we always wanted to. And then suddenly the GC arrived in June 2007 (interestingly there was no email .. nor any LUDs).

The only frustrating thing in the I485 stage was the annual renewal for EAD, AP. Fortunately, my employer paid for all that (including spouse). But it was hassle to get the papers ready, fill in the forms, interact with the immigration department ..so on. This was a little irritating every year.

The immigrationvoice leaders are very inspiring. It is very heartening to see everyone so excited and willing to stand up for a common cause. Of course, there are the occasional "wet towels" in the forums who want to see the negative in everything. But I have seen the IV leaders learn to ignore them.

Sure. We are hard pressed for time. But have contributed financially in the past (anonymously). We believe in doing a deed and not talking about it. (so please do not read more in the financial contribution part). We will continue to send in the few dollars as usual.

It is very easy to say that do not let this process affect you. And we are not going to say it. It is like preaching to the choir.

All we can say is "Hang in there". Plan for your future. Have your goals and work towards them. And we hope GC is just one of them.