Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future
Default Fastest and Cheapest way to get MS

Hi,

I have 3 yrs degree + 1 yr PG diploma. I have been working in industry for past 17 years, and don't think any degree or even doctorate would add much to my qualification for the job that I am doing.

I am currently filed in EB3 category, and new company I am changing job to are ready to refile my GC. But they won't file my GC in EB2 category, as I don't meet the 4 yr BS requirement.

My son will be in the highschool in 4 years, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on getting MS to myself. But for the GC I am looking for fastest and cheapest way to get MS program. I have no idea how it works, what qualifies me for a degree, what can I get credits for. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Lok_sumi is infamous around these parts Lok_sumi is infamous around these parts Lok_sumi is infamous around these parts Lok_sumi is infamous around these parts
Smile

Try Tri Valley
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute

MS - Fast and Cheap.

Fast - Typically MS degree requires 30 to 36. credits or more. Typical full time student takes 9 credits per semester. Assuming you are going to take Course Only option.

Maximizing your Study Plan - 12 (Fall) + 12 (spring) + 9 (Summer). There you have it the Fastest way. I don't see a way to get MS faster that 1 year.

Cheap - Cheap can be in the form of Scholarship, Financial Aid or atleast In-State Fees. If you plan to work full time and study 12 credits, get ready for a bumpy ride for 1 year.

These days, you get RA/TA only if you work for a professor and that will take you into Thesis Option. Completing Thesis + Course work in 12 months is no simple task, when schools generally require 2 semester of Thesis work in addition to course work.

Online MS is another option, but its not cheap. Find a nearby school where you have established residency. Talk to schools Admission office to see if you qualify for In-state Fees based on your resident status.
  • PERM Approved - Oct/20/2011
  • I-140 - To be Filed Nov 1st week [Premium]
  • Category - EB3
  • 6th Year H1 Ends - Feb 2012

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute optimist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_rip View Post
Hi,
I have 3 yrs degree + 1 yr PG diploma.
But they won't file my GC in EB2 category, as I don't meet the 4 yr BS requirement.
Here is a list of accredited institutions that offer online MS degrees at reasonable tuition:
Best Buy Masters Computer Science & Information Technology | Ratings & Rankings | GetEducated.com

You can also consider getting a US bachelor's degree through online courses and credits-by-testing from one of these:
Thomas Edison State College/ Academic Programs
http://www.excelsior.edu/ecapps/degr...Table.jsf?gw=1
List of Programs Available at Charter Oak State College

If you do an official evaluation of the 3-yrs degree that you already have, it can be equivalent to up to 90 credits from a US School (which is equal to 3 years of undergrad education here). All these credits may or may not be transferable to the school/degree that you choose to enrol in. But you would have to research and find a school that would let you use most of them. That way you can complete your degree much faster than the standard process.

Whatever you choose, make sure that the school is regionally-accredited by one of these organizations:
CHEA: Directory of Regional Accrediting Organizations (2009-2010)

Remember every long journey begins with just one baby step... Good Luck!

Contributions to IV so far: $1500+

Lady Macbeth: We fail? But screw your courage to the sticking-place, And we'll NOT fail!

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Everything written here is my personal opinion and may or may not be legally valid. Please consult a qualified legal advisor before making any decision.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

I have 3 yrs degree + 1 yr PG diploma. I have been working in industry for past 17 years, and don't think any degree or even doctorate would add much to my qualification for the job that I am doing.

Thanks!

I think with 17 years of Experience you can easily be filed in EB2. You need better Education evaluation certificate.

Try talk to these guys and see.......they are wonderfull and best i know.

The Trustforte Corporation
271 Madison Avenue, 3rd FloorNew York, NY 10016
Phone: 212-481-4870Fax: 212-481-4971
http://www.trustfortecorp.com/

My post is NOT legal advice and it's my personal opinion.
Take Advise from Immigration Attorney.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok_sumi View Post
Try Tri Valley
Dear friend, Please dont make fun of him. he is asking a genuine questions, if you can answer then answer otherwise just keep quite. I can understand his pain, where so many new kids qualify for EB2 without any experience this gentleman is looking for MS degree to prove his 17 years of experience for EB2.

Thanks

MC

2 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute Michael chertoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwak View Post
I think with 17 years of Experience you can easily be filed in EB2. You need better Education evaluation certificate.

Try talk to these guys and see.......they are wonderfull and best i know.

The Trustforte Corporation
271 Madison Avenue, 3rd FloorNew York, NY 10016
Phone: 212-481-4870Fax: 212-481-4971
Trustforte Corporation
agreed.

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future gc_rip has a brilliant future
Default Thanks you all of you!

This is an amazing forum, and I would like to thank you all for the useful information.

I know, it's going to be a long journey, but a start would definitely help.

Thanks,

Old 02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your new journey!
Quote:
This is an amazing forum, and I would like to thank you all for the useful information.

Thanks,

Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks,
I did online MS degree and it took 3 years, although I could have completed it in 2.5 years. First year I completed only 1 course per sem, then I started doing 2 per sem. I took non-thesis option and the total cost was aprx 15K from ISU. Thye charge flat rate fee per subject ( aprx 3 credits) irrespective of residency requirements (you can actually do this course from anywhere in the world and it would cost the same) . This degree requires 30 total credits (one of them must be a project, so technically only 9 subjects/courses to take).

Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

On a financial note, open up a 512 account for yourself with your state. This would save you some money from state income tax.
I-140 - Approved
I-485 - July 2007 and pending
Filed 2nd labor in 2009
Filed 2nd I-140 in 2009
Ported the PD
GC in 08-2010 almost 10 years after coming to the US.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of s416504 has much to be proud of

Do you mean 30 credits with 3 year degree from India to complete MS?
$15K for 30 credits means $500 for 1 credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_A View Post
I did online MS degree and it took 3 years, although I could have completed it in 2.5 years. First year I completed only 1 course per sem, then I started doing 2 per sem. I took non-thesis option and the total cost was aprx 15K from ISU. Thye charge flat rate fee per subject ( aprx 3 credits) irrespective of residency requirements (you can actually do this course from anywhere in the world and it would cost the same) . This degree requires 30 total credits (one of them must be a project, so technically only 9 subjects/courses to take).

Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s416504 View Post
Do you mean 30 credits with 3 year degree from India to complete MS?
$15K for 30 credits means $500 for 1 credit?
ISU - Iowa State University; Not from India. Yes, $15K for a total of 30 credits. Aprx 3 credits per subject => total 10 subjects. One of them must be a project, so total of 9 subjects ( with 3 credits each).

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
dudes2006 is a jewel in the rough dudes2006 is a jewel in the rough dudes2006 is a jewel in the rough

Project_A - Were you ablle to file Eb2 and got approval after doing online MS ? How does USCIS treat online MS compared to full time MS for approving under eb2 ?

I also have 3 year degree + 1 year PG+ 20 years progressive experience. How can I file under eb2 ? I heard that USCIS looks for 4 year degree for approval under eb2.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
dudes2006 is a jewel in the rough dudes2006 is a jewel in the rough dudes2006 is a jewel in the rough

Project_A - Were you able to file eb2 and got approval after completing online MS ? Also how does uscis treat online MS compared to full time MS for eb2 approval ?

I also have 3 year degree+1 year PG+ 20 years progressive experience. how can i get approval under eb2 ? I heard that uscis is now stricly looking for 4 year degree for all eb2 approvals.