Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   All other Green Card Issues (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/)
-   -   Hiring americans for IT? (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/19553-hiring-americans-for-it.html)

alseethis 06-11-2008 03:00 PM

Hiring americans for IT?

How is the market? I want to share my history and see if the situation is the same in other places.
I work in a small financial company in NJ since 2003 in IT. They are sponsoring my gc now. It's a growing company.
At that time it was my boss, me (programmer) and an american girl (crystal reports). She left and we replace with an indian guy green card holder. Later he left and we hire 2 crystal reports developers, an indian and a russian both green card holders. Later we decided to hire another developer. Join us a hong kong born citizen. I think he is naturalized now. Anyway. Later we hired another programmer, come an indian gc holder. She left and we hired another indian programmer (i think she's in h1)
Today we are trying to hire another programmer and so far, 1 month, no one show up.
I don't know if this situation is happening in other places, but from our experience since 2003.
- there are not many americans interested in IT ?!?
- the unemployment is not affecting IT so much ?!? No one is showing up to fulfill our position now and in the previous years.
- due to visa backlogs and restrictions, it's impratical to sponsor h1 or gc.

My opinion, this a good example that immigration not so bad for US. With good immigration we would had filed our position and not took an american job.

Again, anyone seeing the same in other places...

Dhundhun 06-11-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alseethis (Post 254669)
How is the market? I want to share my history and see if the situation is the same in other places.
I work in a small financial company in NJ since 2003 in IT. They are sponsoring my gc now. It's a growing company.
At that time it was my boss, me (programmer) and an american girl (crystal reports). She left and we replace with an indian guy green card holder. Later he left and we hire 2 crystal reports developers, an indian and a russian both green card holders. Later we decided to hire another developer. Join us a hong kong born citizen. I think he is naturalized now. Anyway. Later we hired another programmer, come an indian gc holder. She left and we hired another indian programmer (i think she's in h1)
Today we are trying to hire another programmer and so far, 1 month, no one show up.
I don't know if this situation is happening in other places, but from our experience since 2003.
- the unemployment is not affecting IT so much ?!? No one is showing up to fulfill our position now and in the previous years.

My opinion, this a good example that immigration not so bad for US. With good immigration we would had filed our position and not took an american job.

Again, anyone seeing the same in other places...

Specialized people are not easily available.

ss2005 06-11-2008 03:20 PM

Depends on the Salary

[quote=alseethis;254669]How is the market? I want to share my history and see if the situation is the same in other places.

One of my friend is trying to recruit SAP guy in FL but he is not able to get GC guy due to pay. His company is not able to pay more than 110K.

jetflyer 06-11-2008 03:24 PM

Also depends what is the compensation for the position. As what I see normally (applies to contracting only) any job under $50/hr goes unfilled or takes longer but jobs with $80-$100 gets filled in 2-3 days and creates shortage for those.
May be because immigrants (H1 & GC) who came in around 1997-2001 have over 7+ yrs of US experience and get paid really well :D

kshitijnt 06-11-2008 04:30 PM

Pay

I dont know about other IT like SAP etc, but software and hardware majors like Microsoft, Intel , Cisco, Yahoo, Google are facing tremendous shortage of skilled labor. For eg:

My wife recently graduated in CS. At the career fair, if the companies declared they wanted to get resumes only from Citizens and GC holders, their booths were empty and were waiting for people to turn up to them. If they allowed F1 students, there used to be a big queue and even the citizens were happy to be part of the queue. Bottomline is in addition to skills its also company culture. Companies that dont discriminate by visa types grow faster and have better work cultures.

Also in a graduating class of 100 people, there were barely 5-6 white or african american citizens, 5-6 Iranians, 5-6 others, rest were Indians and chinese in ratio of 60 to 40 pecent.

When it comes to PhDs there were suprisingly again higher number of US citizens and chinese but very few indians which led me to think that americans go for higher education in very small numbers or their number is small in graduate school but they go all the way up and complete PhD. Where as most Indians and chinese drop out after MS which is good but not really innovative research.