Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going on EAD - steps

My H1B is going to expire soon. Neither myself nor my employer have any intention to do further extension.

So as I understand, I have to give I-9 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9.pdf, page 3) to my employer and I am on EAD.

Anything I am overlooking in H1B -> EAD process?

Last edited by Dhundhun; 06-13-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2008
Compare
panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhundhun View Post
My H1B is going to expire soon. Neither myself not my employer have any intention to do further extension.

So as I understand, I have to give I-9 to my employer and I am on EAD.

I think you are good to go. That's what my attorney told me last time I checked with her. Make sure you renew EAD/AP's on time though.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My H1B is going to expire soon. Neither myself not my employer have any intention to do further extension.

So as I understand, I have to give I-9 to my employer and I am on EAD.

nope that it. From your point of view the I-9 is enough. The employer might want to infiorm USCIS that you are no longer on H1, but thats the employers responsibility. make sure you keep copies of all payslips until you move to EAD so you have records of your H1 status being valid until you started using EAD (actually until EAD approval date is enough)

Old 06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2008
Compare
panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of panky72 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiani.planum View Post
nope that it. From your point of view the I-9 is enough. The employer might want to infiorm USCIS that you are no longer on H1, but thats the employers responsibility. make sure you keep copies of all payslips until you move to EAD so you have records of your H1 status being valid until you started using EAD (actually until EAD approval date is enough)
Do you think that employer has to inform USCIS that you have moved to EAD.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks "panky72" and "meridiani.planum" for inputs.

As far as I know, it is optional for employer to inform USCIS. I don't think, they have time to do so (since it is optional). This is one of the grey areas, where an I485 applicant should maintain documents perfectly.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of
Default Am I still on H1 Or EAD

Sorry to post this here...but it is very relevant to my case too...

I had my H1 extended for 3 years, have EAD and AP. Went to India and came back using AP....

Am I still on H1 Or EAD ? My employer says I have nothing to do. I work for the same employer who sponsered my GC..

Thanks
Attended the Advocacy days in DC - 2011

Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGC View Post
Sorry to post this here...but it is very relevant to my case too...

I had my H1 extended for 3 years, have EAD and AP. Went to India and came back using AP....

Am I still on H1 Or EAD ? My employer says I have nothing to do. I work for the same employer who sponsered my GC..

Thanks
As far as I Know coming on AP does not affect H1B/H4 status (despite the fact AP is stamped or you get I94 for one year).

My case is different - H1 is expiring and I have to show EAD to employer (by submitting I-9) as a proof for eligibility status to continue work.
(Employer does not get EAD and so they need to know my eligibility status in order to keep me as employee - Form I-9 and photocopy of EAD).

Last edited by Dhundhun; 06-13-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2008
Compare

Quote:
Thanks "panky72" and "meridiani.planum" for inputs.

As far as I know, it is optional for employer to inform USCIS. I don't think, they have time to do so (since it is optional). This is one of the grey areas, where an I485 applicant should maintain documents perfectly.
I think you have to inform USCIS only if you plan to use AC-21 to change employers. But to stay with the same employer you can just fill out I-9 and start using EAD.