Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stocks 101

Considering the lowered cost of stock I am planning to gets my hands dirty in stock. But I don't have much knwoeldge about it. Also, by the time I find resouces to learn more about stock, the prices might ahve gone up.

So can anyone provide good online tools to know more about investing on stocks and buying stocks online...

Thanks

We have two futures; future of desire and future of faith. Man has not learnt to reconcile both.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
krishna.ahd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletpc View Post
Considering the lowered cost of stock I am planning to gets my hands dirty in stock. But I don't have much knwoeldge about it. Also, by the time I find resouces to learn more about stock, the prices might ahve gone up.

So can anyone provide good online tools to know more about investing on stocks and buying stocks online...

Thanks
Start with this - much simpler
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...ey101/lesson4/

or this
http://www.fool.com/investing/basics...ltnvpnv0000001

Good Luck
BTW , there are supposed to be lot of police around here , looks like all are set with GC

Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
for_gc is infamous around these parts for_gc is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Thanks
Really nice to see that someone is willing to bet his money on Wall Street.

Looks like everybody else is deserting it at the moment.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold

look this

http://www.investopedia.com

Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
sanjay02 has a spectacular aura about sanjay02 has a spectacular aura about

moneyreallymatters.com

Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of

Guys,

Lets not repeat this type of threads. We recently had to ban ScratchingHead for similar type of threads. This diverts attention and energy. There are other money related forums and communities available.

RD: 6/7/07, ND: 6/19/07, FP: 7/21/07
485 LUDs: 7/23, 7/24 & 7/28
EAD Approved: 9/12
AP Approved : 9/24

Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute tabletpc has a reputation beyond repute

I understand this is not a valid thread to be in this forum. In past I have seen similar post(ex: "Is it a good time to buy house in India"), I would not have posted this today.

We have two futures; future of desire and future of faith. Man has not learnt to reconcile both.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of

Quote:
I understand this is not a valid thread to be in this forum. In past I have seen similar post(ex: "Is it a good time to buy house in India"), I would not have posted this today.
There is no personal comment here. This is forum, people get together and talk. At least on this forum, we need to just keep in mind that the energy and concentration should be on immigration issues. The other post you mention is also equally wrong. Somehow most of the time this is voluntary action and its our responsibility to maintain this. By the way, investopedia is one the best sites.

RD: 6/7/07, ND: 6/19/07, FP: 7/21/07
485 LUDs: 7/23, 7/24 & 7/28
EAD Approved: 9/12
AP Approved : 9/24

Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shree772000 is just really nice shree772000 is just really nice shree772000 is just really nice shree772000 is just really nice shree772000 is just really nice
Default Wrong Place to discuss stocks...

Quote:

Thanks
There are way better places than this forum to discuss about stocks. You will get much more response from those sites as the people there share similiar intrests as you. I do not understand the point in discussing stocks here.

Would you go to liquor store and buy groceries?

What you are trying to do is similiar.

485 Mailed On: 08/13/2007
485 ND: 09/13/2007

Old 10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
indyanguy has a spectacular aura about indyanguy has a spectacular aura about indyanguy has a spectacular aura about

Interesting thread. For all those who've gotten their hands dirty in the stock market, can you recommend any message boards that conducts healthy discussions for taking advantage of the volatility in the short term. I have looked at yahoo, aol, msn and google and most of them are non sensible discussions without much factual info.

Thanks!

Donated $100 so far.

Last edited by indyanguy; 10-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
sanjaymk will become famous soon enough

Actually, IMO, stocks is a loosers game. Many have tried it and have lost a "lot" of money(including myself). If you would like to make money through investments(i didn't say *stocks*), you should go with something like mutual funds and have a well diversified portfolio across different asset classes.

If you really want to get yourself into stock market investing, the best book(Holy Grail for people like Warren Buffet and many other Mutual Fund managers) to get started on is is The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. There are tons of discussion forums like morningstar.com that has discussions about finance related topics. You could also get started with Mutual Funds for Dummies, Common Sense book on Investing by John Bogle, The Intelligent Asset Allocator by Bill Bernstein etc., There are tons of other ones, but this would get you started.

But, my 2 cents, have a long term goal, educate yourself on what investing(again, I didn't say stocks) is and get started. Investing is a marathon not a sprint.

Hope this helps.

Sanjay.

Last edited by sanjaymk; 10-19-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light

For new investors starting with index funds, mutual funds is best. You can see good value in banking area funds like KBE,XLF or when NASDAQ plunges buy qqqq.
Quote:

Thanks

Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
indyanguy has a spectacular aura about indyanguy has a spectacular aura about indyanguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymk View Post
Actually, IMO, stocks is a loosers game. Many have tried it and have lost a "lot" of money(including myself). If you would like to make money through investments(i didn't say *stocks*), you should go with something like mutual funds and have a well diversified portfolio across different asset classes.

If you really want to get yourself into stock market investing, the best book(Holy Grail for people like Warren Buffet and many other Mutual Fund managers) to get started on is is The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. There are tons of discussion forums like morningstar.com that has discussions about finance related topics. You could also get started with Mutual Funds for Dummies, Common Sense book on Investing by John Bogle, The Intelligent Asset Allocator by Bill Bernstein etc., There are tons of other ones, but this would get you started.

But, my 2 cents, have a long term goal, educate yourself on what investing(again, I didn't say stocks) is and get started. Investing is a marathon not a sprint.

Hope this helps.

Sanjay.
Thanks for the info. This is helpful. I see what you are saying. However, don't you think that considering there are a lot of stocks that are at bargain prices (due to the downturn in the economy and not necessarily due to the company's performance), this would be the right time to buy and hold and build up the portfolio. As Buffet himself said "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful."

I strongly feel investing in well known companies' stocks which are battered temporarily is a nice way of expecting better returns when the stock market revives.

Donated $100 so far.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Buy only if you have a time horizon of over 5 yrs now. Preferably 10 yrs.

If you are in the enviable position of having a lot of cash or a big income ie cash flow. Then buy in steps every few months over the next 12-18 months, depending on when you see the recovery coming. Generally stocks predate the economy by 6 months and vice versa.

Here is my guess. This recession will be deeper and longer than other recent ones. I'm thinking recovery by 2010 at best here. So, I'm guessing the stocks markets will languish here or hereabouts for atleast a few months. If the credit markets improve, you might see a relief rally of 20% or so, but when the economic reality of deleveraging sets in, a pull back is likely. So much of 2009 will likely be ripe with long term investment opportunities.

The recovery will be more anemic than previous credit driven expansions as credit will almost certainly be more difficult to obtain going forward. So forget the days of 20 plus percent stocks gains, if you're making 10% you are making a killing going forward. If doubling or slightly better for your money in 10 yrs sounds like a good deal to you, that is the kind of deal you can probably expect and should go ahead and invest. If you feel you can do better elsewhere, buy that. We will see virtually no home price appreciation for the next 5 yrs, and perhaps a little longer. The concept of real estate as an investment is now out of vogue and will be so for some time, that along with tougher credit, and an inventory overhang will flatten any price appreciation anytime soon.

Taxes will almost certainly go up in some way or the other and future earnings power will probably erode in the coming decade. From the immigrant community perspective the best we can hope for is that the US decides to use the tax code to encourage savings by switching to a consumption tax and encourage savings and investments. It remains to be seen what approach they will take to taxes. In my view to purely tax the rich will not be as successful (though it will almost certainly be part of the mix of measures) as a more comprehensive and thoughtful overhaul.

Good luck!

Last edited by alterego; 10-19-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute

immigration related only please.... imagine, I post related to a car, other did for which course is good, which school is good.. Lets stick to immigration issues for now.