Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
CamilaFeldstein can only hope to improve
Thumbs down Green Card lost in mail!Help

On august first I was sent the "welcome to the united states" letter saying that my green card would arrive in 2 weeks. I have the permanent resident status given from my husband.
Since it was taking a while and I needed the stamp on my visa(the 60 day stamp) so I could travel to my home country on December, I went to the USCIS. They told me that my green card was sent to me on august 11th and it was probably lost in the mail!!!In order to get a new one I would have to apply for an I-90 to replace it and pay 370.00!!!!
I'm extremely disappointed that after all efforts and money spent I have to wait more and pay more for something that I did not do. Apparently, this happens to way more people that I thought and it sounds like a big scam to me. Identity theft is a crime and it should be dealt with as a crime. Now we are trying all our resources to find other known people that this happened to and hopefully send it to the homeland security. This needs to be changed, an important document like this shouldn't be sent by regular mail. I asked if when I apply for another copy if I can come and pick it up,or have it sent with insurance and my answer was a big NO!!
Does anybody know about this? Did it happen to anybody?
Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
kart2007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilaFeldstein View Post
On august first I was sent the "welcome to the united states" letter saying that my green card would arrive in 2 weeks. I have the permanent resident status given from my husband.
Since it was taking a while and I needed the stamp on my visa(the 60 day stamp) so I could travel to my home country on December, I went to the USCIS. They told me that my green card was sent to me on august 11th and it was probably lost in the mail!!!In order to get a new one I would have to apply for an I-90 to replace it and pay 370.00!!!!
I'm extremely disappointed that after all efforts and money spent I have to wait more and pay more for something that I did not do. Apparently, this happens to way more people that I thought and it sounds like a big scam to me. Identity theft is a crime and it should be dealt with as a crime. Now we are trying all our resources to find other known people that this happened to and hopefully send it to the homeland security. This needs to be changed, an important document like this shouldn't be sent by regular mail. I asked if when I apply for another copy if I can come and pick it up,or have it sent with insurance and my answer was a big NO!!
Thanks

I hear you. The same thing happened with my wife's EAD. Its a lot of hassle and explaining at every step. Its time USCIS started sending such important documents via certified mail.

I dont know what process you could follow but someone should be able to help you. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, My H1 extension approval was lost in mail. My employer never got it, and you have to wait 30+ days before they can entertain your request for a second one.
It is just a piece of paper, why do they have to wait 33+ days And everytime the "Petitioner" that is either the lawyer or your boss has to call them.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future

It's high time that USCIS asks the beneficiary to include a prepaid express mail envelope along with any application for immigration benefit so that the documents get delivered on time to the right address.

CIC Canada does the same by asking the beneficiary to include one prepaid express mail envelope while requesting passport for immigrant Visa stamping.

Last edited by americandesi; 10-23-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
wait4ever is just really nice wait4ever is just really nice wait4ever is just really nice wait4ever is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilaFeldstein View Post
Thanks
The only way to replace a mispalced/stolen Green Card is through filing a I-90 form - if it can be demonstarted that the card got lost due to no fault of the applicant - then you do not have to pay the fee - if you moved or the address on file is the same one that USCIS sent the card to and you are no longer at the adddress you will have to pay the new fee and get new biometrics done - since a fresh card will be generated.

Check with USCIS where it was sent and if they did all the right things if not then you are in luck - else tough luck !