Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/09/2007
Compare
dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough
Default CIR Introduced

I read on www.immigration-law.com

01/08/2009: Bill Introduced in the House for Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Rep> Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas introduced H.R.264 yesterday to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to comprehensively reform immigration law, and for other purposes. For the full text of the bill, please stay tuned.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmesh.pariawala View Post

Rep> Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas introduced H.R.264 yesterday to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to comprehensively reform immigration law, and for other purposes. For the full text of the bill, please stay tuned.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d111:8:./temp/~bdW24V::|/bss/111search.html

H.R.264

Title: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to comprehensively reform immigration law, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] (introduced 1/7/2009) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 1/7/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committees on Homeland Security, and Oversight and Government Reform, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

Text:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.264:

I don't think they will act on this until the economic issues are resolved.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
Marphad is infamous around these parts Marphad is infamous around these parts Marphad is infamous around these parts Marphad is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmesh.pariawala View Post

Keep the fingers crossed

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/09/2007
Compare
dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough dharmesh.pariawala is a jewel in the rough
Smile Good start

This gives me hope that atleast this bill will be picked by by March.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here is an outline of my proposal

from an old article: http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/H1BSum...df?popup=false

Here is an outline of my proposal:
To be eligible to an H-1B, the employer would be required to have not have laid off Americans
in similar jobs within the last 6 months, and not employ H-1Bs in more than 15% of its technical
workforce.
An employer who wishes to hire an H-1B would be required to advertise the job on a central Dept. of
Labor (DOL) Web page for 30 days. If the employer did not hire an American during this period, the
employer would have automatic permission to hire the H-1B.
The wage paid to an H-1B would be required to be at least the national median for all workers in the
field, including those with all levels of experience.
After hiring the H-1B, the employer would update the entry in the database, stating the qualifications
of the H-1B who was hired.33
The visa would be valid for 3 years. During this time, the worker could move from employer to
employer at will, providing that each new employer goes through the 30-day ad procedure on the
DOL database.
If the worker were to stay employed in the tech field for all but 60 days during the 3-year period, the
worker would be deemed as having proved his/her value to the economy, and would automatically be
granted permanent-resident (i.e. green card) status.
If on the other hand, the worker were to become unemployed for more than 60 days, he/she would be
required to leave the country within 15 days.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post

To be eligible to an H-1B, the employer would be required to have not have laid off Americans
in similar jobs within the last 6 months, and not employ H-1Bs in more than 15% of its technical
workforce.
An employer who wishes to hire an H-1B would be required to advertise the job on a central Dept. of
Labor (DOL) Web page for 30 days. If the employer did not hire an American during this period, the
The wage paid to an H-1B would be required to be at least the national median for all workers in the
After hiring the H-1B, the employer would update the entry in the database, stating the qualifications
The visa would be valid for 3 years. During this time, the worker could move from employer to
employer at will, providing that each new employer goes through the 30-day ad procedure on the
DOL database.
If the worker were to stay employed in the tech field for all but 60 days during the 3-year period, the
worker would be deemed as having proved his/her value to the economy, and would automatically be
If on the other hand, the worker were to become unemployed for more than 60 days, he/she would be

One major flaw in this one :

What if I want to change job 4 times in 3 year. Total advertise period will be 120 days and I wont be able to get GC. What if I am laid off and future company is just have requirement with in that week. They cannot hire me till they pass 30days and what if they get lots of resume from USC and DOL audit ..will company wait ??

More administrative process will encourage to hire only USC. When I graduated from school in USA , I applied to 4-5 big companies and I got reply back too. but when I told I need sponsership I was denied. I went to desi and I checked with one of company to see if they have same job. Lucky I found and I told them H1b transfer will be in week if they spend 1000 USD .. Guess what they agreed. and I am still with same company.

I think for permant residency it is good but for h1b.. bad for us. Eventully desi firms will sell 30 days approved labor.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default his proposal

since it was a techslaves personal proposal.. i bet he didnt think it through..;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post

workforce.
DOL database.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold pyaradesi is a splendid one to behold
Default H1b and the American Dream

Hi H1TechSlave,

I am guessing you are basing your proposal on the UC Davis report/link in your post. Yes, there are companies and individuals who are misusing the H1b system, but this is the case with any law, regulation not just immigration. You will never have a perfect system. An example of this is democracy, we are well aware that democracy with its virtues, comes with a price of chaos and corruption. This does not mean we opt for a totalitarian system.

The H1b represents the American Dream for Indians and a lot of other folks from across the world. Plumbers, carpenters, coal workers, homeless people, and literally bums were allowed to immigrate thorough Ellis Island without even needing a visa. Now to come and say that you need to be a genius to get an H1b visa, and IITs are not the best institutions is just preposterous. This report basically states that mojority of H1bs are incompetent folks who come from weak US universities. The Amercican Dream is a universal concept that should be protected at any cost. Protectionist legislation with stymie growth.
The report focuses on H1bs stealing American Jobs, is there any data on the kind of people being displaced, their qualifications?
Put aside the h1b for a minute, what about the agricultural workers who come here, do you need to be the best cherry picker in all of Mexico to work in the US?
Now, this report was published in 2003, it has been buried for good reason.

How do you define "Genius", is Albert Einstein a genius? Is this a measurable concept? Do geniuses create jobs? History tells us that geniuses made a lot of news and history but very little else. The world runs not because of geniuses, but because of a few smart people and millions of average folks.

Do we need to tackle mom&pop h1b sweatshops? yes, but not by changing the fundamental nature of "h1b".