Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to avoid Lay off - Tips

I read this one and only sharing it. If you dont like it, please ignore and move on.

In the turbulent, toss-about world of work in America, all kinds of people are worried about getting fired. Who among us hasn't seen a helpful, smart, hard-working person get laid off? Being let go is not for last-place performers anymore. Everyone is at risk.
Can you avoid the pink slip? You can sure try. While no one may guarantee you a gig these days, here are five expert tips on making yourself indispensable.

1. Talk Directly to Your Manager

Lay it all out on the table and sincerely ask for advice from your boss about your situation. You're not asking them to butter you up or paint a rosy picture. You're asking for the truth.

Ron Mitchell, career coach and founder and CEO of New York City-based Gotta Mentor, advises, "You should take control of this process. In this meeting you should ask two questions. First, what can I improve upon? Second, what additional things can I do to help you do your job better?"

Is it kissing boss booty? Maybe a bit, but your manager is likely under a lot of stress, too, so finding ways to help them and make them look better means you're less likely to be sent packing.

2. Learn Other People's Jobs

It sounds calculating, but it's true. If you can do the work of two, you have a better chance of out-staying your peers. As with any worthwhile fitness program, you must cross-train for greater strength and resiliency. Sean Ebner, regional vice president of the IT outplacement firm Technisource, emphasizes why this productivity makes a difference, saying, "Make it so that two people would have to replace your work effort, not just half of a person."

And, once you pick up some new skills or strengthen old ones, let people know. Executive coach Peggy Klaus says, "Connect the dots for people and show them how your strengths can be utilized in other departments, capacities, or fields."

3. Be Profitable

If you're not clear how your work either makes the company money or cuts costs -- or both -- you'd be wise to figure that out soon. If you need help, talk to trusted friends, coworkers and even your boss. Letting your boss know that you're trying to improve your contribution to the bottom line can't hurt. Plus, it's a reminder of how essential you are.

Klaus says, "Be certain that the results you are focusing on and producing are the ones your boss and company value most. Translation: efficiency, cost-cutting and revenue."

4. Toot Your Own Horn -- Loudly!

No one appreciates arrogance, but staying quiet about your contributions isn't wise right now. Whatever you do to move the company forward -- stay late to complete a project, have a great call with a client, train someone else in a new skill or improve your output -- make sure that your boss knows about it. Your resourcefulness and willingness to work hard are attributes most managers want to keep in-house.

John M McKee, founder and CEO of BusinessSuccessCoach.net, says "Successful professionals don't wait to get noticed while they toil away on a project."

5. Rise Up and Take Command

Amidst the devastation that layoffs leave behind, you have a unique opportunity to collect the remaining pieces and move quickly into management. As Allison Hemming, founder of The Hired Guns talent agency, says, "Be the phoenix. This could be your opportunity to rise to the top." She recommends that when departments are combined, "Take advantage of a re-shuffled deck. Management will be looking for new leaders to prevail."

Plus, that way, when the company is back on its feet, you'll be a time-tested veteran who helped lead everyone through the worst of times. Your job could be more secure and well-paid than ever.

Some Layoffs Simply Are Inevitable

All advice aside, don't be too hard on yourself. Many experts agree that you can only do so much to protect yourself from a layoff. Sometimes, even your best won't be enough.

Ron Mitchell reminds you to chin up and stand proud should that moment come. "One thing this current job environment has taught us is that no one is immune to layoffs. Companies have for the past few rounds of layoffs been cutting bone not fat. They are laying off people that have been doing a good job."
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down this all stuff is B***S**t

Well I was let go and I know how much was I doing. I was actually handling five different profiles. I showed the complete roadmap and breakeven for the profitable revenue in 8 months. But the F***** management doesn't understand all this , all they know is no matter how good or bad an employee is , do they have the budget to keep him or not , thats it ... FULL STOP!!!
Try to become ireplaceable, indispensable.. all BULL!!

I was working continuously for 12-14 hours a day trying to keep my job and working as Developer, Analyst, Project manager, Assisting VP for Project portfolio, DBA and last but not the least Product manager. AND YESS I was doing everything.. made and showed the difference. Couple of months back I was appreciated by the CEO.

BUT NO.. ITS NOT THE WORK THAT COUNTS, ITS THE MONEY AND THE INVESTORS.
THEY WANT TO REAP THE MOST PROFIT AND CUT THEIR LOSSES BY LAY OFFS.

AS SAID "LOVE YOUR JOB NOT YOUR COMPANY AS YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR COMPANY STOPS LOVING YOU."

well guys the clock is ticking and 2 weeks now sitting at home, I think I vented a lot frustation on this post.. sorry for B word and the F word.

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

--------------------------
Result for psaxena:
Your position is 53193 in the Green Card Queue based on your Country of Chargeability "India", Priority Date "Aug-06" and Category "EB3" .
Your Expected Date of Adjudication is Sep, 2028.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-22-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-11-2007
Compare
jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future
Post same thing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaxena View Post
Well I was let go and I know how much was I doing. I was actually handling five different profiles. I showed the complete roadmap and breakeven for the profitable revenue in 8 months. But the F***** management doesn't understand all this , all they know is no matter how good or bad an employee is , do they have the budget to keep him or not , thats it ... FULL STOP!!!

I was working continuously for 12-14 hours a day trying to keep my job and working as Developer, Analyst, Project manager, Assisting VP for Project portfolio, DBA and last but not the least Product manager. AND YESS I was doing everything.. made and showed the difference. Couple of months back I was appreciated by the CEO.

AS SAID "LOVE YOUR JOB NOT YOUR COMPANY AS YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR COMPANY STOPS LOVING YOU."

well guys the clock is ticking and 2 weeks now sitting at home, I think I vented a lot frustation on this post.. sorry for B word and the F word.

I worked for 12 hours to 14 hours everyday. However in the end they laid me out. I am laid out from one week. Claim uninsurance and study something new. Right now i started studying C#.

the guys who talk and do nothing are still working in the same company. I have no idea how the company will survive or later fire everybody because nobody works.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all

Absolutely agree; as a matter of fact, I believe, 50% of the lay-offs that are going on are totally avoidable but the greedy greedy shareholders/investors just want to maximize the profits and suck the last drop of juice out of it.

I think Investors have a lot of control over company operations which should be stopped and that's when companies will become productive and efficient and be able to shelve out good products. By looking at only short term gains, Investors are shooting at their own foot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaxena View Post

Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcnotfiledyet is infamous around these parts gcnotfiledyet is infamous around these parts gcnotfiledyet is infamous around these parts gcnotfiledyet is infamous around these parts gcnotfiledyet is infamous around these parts gcnotfiledyet is infamous around these parts

My friend's company just outsourced nearly 100jobs to India. They interviewed here for positions and then all of a sudden jobs sent overseas. All to save almighty dollar. All this keeping manager happy is bull. They do not have anything in their hands. They are worried about their jobs. We are all number in excel sheet. The sooner we realize that the better off we are. Its all about budget for specific department.

Eventhough things mentioned in original article may not help, it surely cannot harm to follow them. It will always help to follow those advice. Company budget and policies are not in your hand but things mentioned above are in your hands. I think one major thing that lacks is networking. If you network aggressively then chances are you can land a job sooner.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcnotfiledyet View Post
My friend's company just outsourced nearly 100jobs to India. They interviewed here for positions and then all of a sudden jobs sent overseas. All to save almighty dollar. All this keeping manager happy is bull. They do not have anything in their hands. They are worried about their jobs. We are all number in excel sheet. The sooner we realize that the better off we are. Its all about budget for specific department.

Eventhough things mentioned in original article may not help, it surely cannot harm to follow them. It will always help to follow those advice. Company budget and policies are not in your hand but things mentioned above are in your hands. I think one major thing that lacks is networking. If you network aggressively then chances are you can land a job sooner.
This actually is true - managers are just that..manage ppl under them, do their performance reviews, take crap from both both sides, and manage to stay calm pretty much everything would be in the hands of much higher ups..director/VP level..the managers dont even know that someone reporting to them is getting laid off, until the last minute... I have seen this happen in many big companies that i have worked in so far...

If you really have to kiss a**, then do that during the get-togethers with the upper levels of management. SOmetimes it helps to have one on one conversation with such higher ups, who might, just might, save your a** during a RIF. Coz ppl are more likely to put a face to the "resource" only when they know in-person, that "resource"...
Sent letters to the President and IV

Old 03-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts svr_76 is infamous around these parts

I think soon the time will come when legal immigrant on the path of becoming "permanent residents" (AOS) will stand side-by-side with the citizens and permanent residents in opposing temporary work-permits or non-permanent work visa (H1B) on which they themselves came; to save the job in US.

We might loose our local job to a person just like us who is here on a non-immigrant dual-intent work visa, sponsered by a IT out-sourcing firm (just as our past employers, or even current employers i might say). The new guy will first learn the trick of trade and then act as "Onsite Coordinator" and get the same stuff done from remote site...

EB3 India (PD Sep 2006).
I-140 approved. I-485 (....yep. Pending peding pending)