Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
coolest_me is infamous around these parts coolest_me is infamous around these parts coolest_me is infamous around these parts coolest_me is infamous around these parts
Default Driver's License renewal in CA, no EAD

Hi.

Does anyone know how to renew the Driver's License in CA without EAD. My Wife's license is about to expire and she doesn't have EAD. H-4 is expired on Passport.

I see that I can mail the renewal application and its not asking any document but I m not sure if that will work.

Please reply if anyone has any information regarding this.

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolest_me View Post
Hi.

Does anyone know how to renew the Driver's License in CA without EAD. My Wife's license is about to expire and she doesn't have EAD. H-4 is expired on Passport.

I see that I can mail the renewal application and its not asking any document but I m not sure if that will work.

Thanks
If they didn't ask for something why do you have to reveal more than you have to?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all

Exactly.....mine and my wife's DL renewal (CA) was automatic - we just received it in the mail, we didn't even have to renew it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshitijnt View Post
If they didn't ask for something why do you have to reveal more than you have to?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
aubGC will become famous soon enough
Default Very Easy for renewal

Same with us... Just had to go there for new photo and we got it with no issues at all..

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
Singapore
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Compare
bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of bbenhill has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB View Post
Exactly.....mine and my wife's DL renewal (CA) was automatic - we just received it in the mail, we didn't even have to renew it!
Yep .. I renewed mine using internet (after DMV sent me the renewal letter).. I got it easily.

No need to worry .. DMV will send you renewal notice 2 months before ur DL expires.

worst come to worst is if you are not lucky then you have to go to DMV and do another written test

============
Motto : I am collecting green ... so I can get my "green" card faster

Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
kittu1991 is a jewel in the rough kittu1991 is a jewel in the rough kittu1991 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Take it easy

Quote:
Hi.

Thanks
If your address is current, you will get a renewal notice and you can renew it online for another 5 yrs.

But if you don't get the renewal notice walk into your nearest DMV and get it renewed as anybody else who is GC holder or citizen. For renewal they are not checking any documents in CA. I renewed my license this path 2 months ago, since my address on file with DMV was not updated somehow.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all

BTW, that only happens if you have an outstanding Ticket in your name - it happened with me - they told me to take the written test first time I went for renewal (I hadn't completed traffic school to void my ticket) - so, I completed the traffic school and went for the test after about a week or so - as soon as I reached the counter to get the score; the lady asked me why did I take the test.......she said you don't need to - she threw away the question paper and renewed the DL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenhill View Post

worst come to worst is if you are not lucky then you have to go to DMV and do another written test

============
Motto : I am collecting green ... so I can get my "green" card faster

Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
coolest_me is infamous around these parts coolest_me is infamous around these parts coolest_me is infamous around these parts coolest_me is infamous around these parts

Thanks for all the reply. I haven't got the renewal notice in the mail yet. The license is expiring on 09/18. In CA DMV site there is another option to renew it by mail. I m going to try that .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all desitechie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittu1991 View Post
If your address is current, you will get a renewal notice and you can renew it online for another 5 yrs.

But if you don't get the renewal notice walk into your nearest DMV and get it renewed as anybody else who is GC holder or citizen. For renewal they are not checking any documents in CA. I renewed my license this path 2 months ago, since my address on file with DMV was not updated somehow.

Any specific good DMV's in bay area, CA?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/03/2011
Compare
belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute belmontboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desitechie View Post
Any specific good DMV's in bay area, CA?

Thanks
there is no good DMV in CA.

they come with lot of attitude. works like our government office!
485 approved on Jan 25,2012.
Physical cards received on Jan 30, 2012
one time contribution - 100$
one time contribution for April 2011 Advocacy days - 50$

Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lakersnba08 is on a distinguished road

hey, i had my green card already but i found out that it has incorrect data (DOB), USCIS advised me to apply for I-90 to replace it. the problem is it will take some time to have it done (up to six months according to USCIS), the DMV is not honoring that green card which has incorrect data, can there be other means to apply to the DMV as i need to have a driver's license as soon as possible for work? thanks...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute PavanV has a reputation beyond repute

RANT WARNING

If you dont have an EAD, and your H1 B case is filed and is waiting for apporval, you wont have a your license during that period, I am one that is in that situation. I talked to the DMV folks but they wont accept the H1 B extension receipt , they need the I - 797, so basically i cannot drive for next 2 months. A couple of member suggested it was very easy for them, i guess i am being targeted
As of now i feel really privileged staying here , no license, no green card, been here for past 10 years and have a post graduate degree from a US university. I guess even if you are good professionally and academically it does not matter, so much for truth, honesty , liberty and pursuit of happiness !!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Hi.

Thanks
They did not ask me for any document in CA.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lakersnba08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavanV View Post
RANT WARNING

If you dont have an EAD, and your H1 B case is filed and is waiting for apporval, you wont have a your license during that period, I am one that is in that situation. I talked to the DMV folks but they wont accept the H1 B extension receipt , they need the I - 797, so basically i cannot drive for next 2 months. A couple of member suggested it was very easy for them, i guess i am being targeted
As of now i feel really privileged staying here , no license, no green card, been here for past 10 years and have a post graduate degree from a US university. I guess even if you are good professionally and academically it does not matter, so much for truth, honesty , liberty and pursuit of happiness !!
i don't have H1B filed, im a permanent resident and has only incorrect data on my green card that was recently issued to me, i have I-797C Notice of Action Welcome Notice with me. is that enough document to show to DMV so they will let me take the exam? or i have to file first the I-90 and wait for six months? thank you...

Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2004
Compare
485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute

Just mail the renewal application, you just need to send the check to DMV (payable to 'DMV renewal' and write your license number on the check). Other documents are not required, i had talked to the DMV during my first renewal, they just get confused if we give unnecessary information. My wife and I have renewed our CA license twice by mail without any issues (yes twice, its my 13th year in the US..waiting for GC).

Quote:
Hi.

Thanks

Last edited by 485Mbe4001; 08-05-2009 at 02:34 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.