Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of
Default Can I travel with H1/AP??

Hi there,

I have an approved EAD/AP but I am still on my H1B and I don't want to switch to EAD yet.. My question is:

1. Can I travel to India with AP without having to activate my EAD? If so, do I have to go to H1 stamping to enter US back?

Please share your experiences..

Thanks in advance,
vmb7
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yes you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmb7 View Post
Hi there,

I have an approved EAD/AP but I am still on my H1B and I don't want to switch to EAD yet.. My question is:

1. Can I travel to India with AP without having to activate my EAD? If so, do I have to go to H1 stamping to enter US back?

Thanks in advance,
vmb7
Using AP has no effect on your EAD status. You dont have to go for H1 stamping when you are using AP. I am on H1 (8th year) I used AP 2 times to enter US. Once I got H1 stamped in between which was not necessary, I don't why I got my H1 stamped which was a huge risk but thank God everything went well. Make sure you carry the copies of all the approved H1s right from the day you entered US for the first time. Although no one asked me for my previous H1s except the latest one, I was reading on this forums from others that some IOs were asking for all the approved H1s. Have a safe journey and good luck.

Oh, just forgot to tell you that when you are using AP you will be directed to an office after the regular immigration queue which is normal. You will be made to sit and wait till they verify all the details and stamp your I-94 and AP. You will be paroled till the date mentioned in AP. Once you enter US and start working on H1 again your H1 will take precedence over AP & I-94. So automatically your I-94 attached to H1 will kick in so you dont have to worry about the expiry of I-94 issued at the port of entry. As I said I have done this twice, you can also take a legal advise from your attorneys.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can travel on AP

I am on my H 1 ( 11 th Year). I have traveled on Advance Parole 3 times and still continue to use my H 1. As the previous poster pointed out be prepared to go the secondary inspection area and have all the documents with you.
To contribute, please click here: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate

https://twitter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/
http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/ind...282011-2012%29

Got Greened in October 2013.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of vmb7 has much to be proud of

Thanks a lot guyz! I will plan my India trip now

Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hi Guyz,

To my original post on 'If I can travel with H1/AP', below is the response from my attorney

If you return to the US using the AP, you can resume working for your H1B employer and this employment is authorized even without the EAD. However, a person who enters on AP is a "Parolee" and is not officially in H1B status even though the person can lawfully work for the H1B employer. To get back into H1B status after entering on AP, an individual will have to re-apply for the H1B.

I am confused now.. Is it true that one has to re-apply for H1B after entering US on AP? Please share your experiences..

Thanks in advance!
-m

Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute njverifier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmb7 View Post
Hi Guyz,

To my original post on 'If I can travel with H1/AP', below is the response from my attorney

If you return to the US using the AP, you can resume working for your H1B employer and this employment is authorized even without the EAD. However, a person who enters on AP is a "Parolee" and is not officially in H1B status even though the person can lawfully work for the H1B employer. To get back into H1B status after entering on AP, an individual will have to re-apply for the H1B.

I am confused now.. Is it true that one has to re-apply for H1B after entering US on AP? Please share your experiences..

Thanks in advance!
-m
That is not correct. Once you start working on H1B after re-entry you will be on H1 status. There is no need to reapply your H1. I have done this twice in 2008 and 2011.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks njverifier!

In continuation to my initial question, I just got to know that my project is ending in Aug and I was wondering if it is a good idea to take a 1 month break and go to India before I find the next project. I am not sure how not having a client would hurt me at the port of entry as I would still be on H1 but just using my AP for travel purposes.

Thanks in advance!
-mv

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute

You are wrong. H1B normally covers a person for two things.

1) To stay in USA in legal status through H1B I-94 issued at port of entry.
2) To work legally in USA for the H1B petitioning employer.

But when you enter USA using AP then you lose the H1B I-94 instead you enter as a Parolee which is also a valid legal status but not H1B status. Your work status would be still H1B if you resume your work under the same employer. Bottom line entering USA on AP would retain only no.2 point from above and your legal stay status would change from H1B to I-485 Parolee status.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by njverifier View Post
That is not correct. Once you start working on H1B after re-entry you will be on H1 status. There is no need to reapply your H1. I have done this twice in 2008 and 2011.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that once you renew your H1B then it would reinstate your stay status to H1B from 'Parolee' again. Though your work status would remain unchanged as H1B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suva View Post
You are wrong. H1B normally covers a person for two things.

1) To stay in USA in legal status through H1B I-94 issued at port of entry.
2) To work legally in USA for the H1B petitioning employer.

But when you enter USA using AP then you lose the H1B I-94 instead you enter as a Parolee which is also a valid legal status but not H1B status. Your work status would be still H1B if you resume your work under the same employer. Bottom line entering USA on AP would retain only no.2 point from above and your legal stay status would change from H1B to I-485 Parolee status.

Thanks