Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   All other Green Card Issues (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/)
-   -   Timeline for Green card process for parents of US citizens? (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/3094376-timeline-for-green-card-process-for-parents-of-us-citizens.html)

foobar2001 01-03-2013 08:47 AM

Timeline for Green card process for parents of US citizens?

hi fellow IVers,

posting for a friend who is a US citizen and wishes to apply for GCs for their parents through the family based quota. Had a couple of questions -

(a) I believe for parents of citizens, there is no priority date queue -- is that correct? (thus, there is no wait period beyond regular application processing times, and their nationality doesnt matter - right?)

(b) Does anyone know how long it typically takes for parents to get their GCs after a citizen files for their permanent residence?

thanks!
-fb

foobar2001 01-04-2013 08:40 PM

Pinging thread once.....anyone?

greyhair 01-05-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foobar2001 (Post 3565796)
hi fellow IVers,

posting for a friend who is a US citizen and wishes to apply for GCs for their parents through the family based quota. Had a couple of questions -

(a) I believe for parents of citizens, there is no priority date queue -- is that correct? (thus, there is no wait period beyond regular application processing times, and their nationality doesnt matter - right?)

(b) Does anyone know how long it typically takes for parents to get their GCs after a citizen files for their permanent residence?

thanks!
-fb

(a) Corret

(b) My friend applied for his wife's parents and it took 8-9 month for the complete process from the date of the application to final approval. The elderly couple came and then left after a few months and did not want to come for long duration. My friend filed for 2 year one time waiver but elderly couple do not want to settle here. So they spent around 15K but not of much use.

foobar2001 01-05-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhair (Post 3565901)
(a) Corret

(b) My friend applied for his wife's parents and it took 8-9 month for the complete process from the date of the application to final approval. The elderly couple came and then left after a few months and did not want to come for long duration. My friend filed for 2 year one time waiver but elderly couple do not want to settle here. So they spent around 15K but not of much use.

thanks for the info - i also checked the USCIS processing times and it seems to be about 6 months for I130 stage, and the time the next step (family based I485) was not given there.

Yes, even in this case my friends parents are not sure how long they will be able to stay at a time (initially - ultimately they would like to move here, but not right away i believe) -- so they'll need to figure out how much of a hassle it is to "maintain" permanent residence status (by filing waivers etc) - and whether they may want to delay applying in case the hassle is non trivial.