Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
indio0617 has a spectacular aura about indio0617 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS1 View Post
I do not see any issue here at all. Most of the housewives (including mine) and sons/daughter take EAD/AP and do not work. EAD is just an authorization, not a compulsion to work. Being legal here stems from the fact that her petition to adjust status (I485) is pending for decision from USCIS.
BMS1:

Thank you. Yes, that's my opinion as well. A pending 485 status is valid immigration status by itself.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
canadianinnyc is on a distinguished road
Default Just laid off: need I-140 advice

I just got laid off.

I am an EB2 (Jul 15, 2007 priority date). I jointly filed my I-140/I-485 5 months ago (1 month inside the 6 month period to become 'portable'). I was at Merrill Lynch; they said they do not typically inform immigration of laid off employees and the lawyers feel that I should still be able to get my I-140/I-485 (hence, my greencard) desp. They said, due to the current economic conditions (and subsequent large numbers of layoffs) US immigration is not to 'stick'y on the 6 month requirement for portability.

Does this sound plausible? Is there anything I need to be aware/careful of? Does it seem likely I will need to start my greencard (PERM) process from the beginning again?

Your knowledge is urgently appreciated. Many thanks!!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Very sorry to hear this news. If you have EAD, please use AC21 portability after one more month (after six months of I-485 filing). If your employer gives you severence pay, use it as a pay for a month instead of accepting lumpsum.

Hopefully your I-140 gets approved in the mean-time.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks. I do have my EAD. Just fearful that since I wont be at the 6 month period, I wont get to portability.
Does US immigration check up on this stuff? If so, how? I'm thinking that the Texas processing center (where my info is being processed) is too busy working on my papers (and other folks' papers) rather than inquiring about everyone's employment status.
Is this wishful thinking?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
raj2007 will become famous soon enough raj2007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianinnyc View Post
Thanks. I do have my EAD. Just fearful that since I wont be at the 6 month period, I wont get to portability.
Does US immigration check up on this stuff? If so, how? I'm thinking that the Texas processing center (where my info is being processed) is too busy working on my papers (and other folks' papers) rather than inquiring about everyone's employment status.
Is this wishful thinking?
Everything is randomly generated.. I feel you will be OK..

Old 02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianinnyc View Post
Does US immigration check up on this stuff? If so, how? I'm thinking that the Texas processing center (where my info is being processed) is too busy working on my papers (and other folks' papers) rather than inquiring about everyone's employment status. Is this wishful thinking?
It does not matter. According to the law, you can invoke AC21 after six months of I-485. Also GC is for future employment. So if the company does not withdraw I-140 petition, you can always go back to them when the GC is approved finally.

Make sure your employer does not withdraw I-140. Ask your attorney to send you the approved I-140 petition. And switch jobs after six months of I-485 and notify USCIS of the job change. You should be set. Thank AC21 for that.

Also you should prepare for the eventuality that I-140 gets an RFE. I do not know what your recourse would be then. Better to consult an immigration attorney. May be you can start second PERM, I-140 with your new employer. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thank you very much to the above for your replies. This is very helpful.

A couple basic questions:

a) What is AC21? Is it a form I send to USCIS?

b) What is an RFE (re: I-140)?

Many thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future Jerrome has a brilliant future

If you friends spouse was on H1 then i think her current status with USCIS would be H1.

Since she is not working with the current employer she need to do the following things to void H1 status.

a) Start using EAD to work.
b) Use AP to re-enter the country.
c) Get H4 status change.

Otherwise her current status would be in H1.it could create some problem if beyond couple of weeks.

Last edited by Jerrome; 02-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Please disregard above posting; I did my research and have figured out my above questions.

Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future

Is anyone here in SAP? If so, I would really appreciate some help. Please PM me. Thx.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCard_Dream View Post
Is anyone here in SAP? If so, I would really appreciate some help. Please PM me. Thx.
What sort of help are you looking for? Please elaborate so that someone can help you.
Thanks.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Last edited by amsgc; 05-14-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future GCard_Dream has a brilliant future

It seems like the group I am currently working in will shutdown in few months and more than half of the people have left the group already. I, therefore, need to find a job in next 4 months or so. I am a computer engineer by profession but trying to pursue a career in SAP functional field or DBA and looking for some advise from professionals in the field on training requirements/opportunities, career opportunities in different SAP modules, and how to basically get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsgc View Post
What sort of help are you looking for? Please elaborate so that someone can help you.
Thanks.

Last edited by GCard_Dream; 05-14-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCard_Dream View Post
It seems like the group I am currently working in will shutdown in few months and more than half of the people have left the group already. I, therefore, need to find a job in next 4 months or so. I am a computer engineer by profession but trying to pursue a career in SAP functional field or DBA and looking for some advise from professionals in the field on training requirements/opportunities, career opportunities in different SAP modules, and how to basically get started.
There are variety of options available for you, Don't worry about it. It just depends on what are your skill set and how can you showcase your skills.

If you need any further help or advise you can pm me i can send you my contact info

Old 05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Hungary
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
doxa will become famous soon enough
Question Uscis>nvc

Hi to us!My i-140 approval notice was send from uscis to nvc in 13 May 2008.When I called them,they said haven't recived my case.How can we have uscis send the notification to nvc and how long does it take to get there? thanks Your reply.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
rajarao is a jewel in the rough rajarao is a jewel in the rough rajarao is a jewel in the rough rajarao is a jewel in the rough
Default shut down in coming years

Management announced that our US plant of my division will shut down in next 3-4 years (about 2000 employees). There are no immediate lay-offs but may start anytime,as this is a progressive multi-year transfer to out of country or to a third party.
What is the impact on 485 processing?.
I got an RFE for employment verification a week before the announcement and it was replied. Will there be any issue at the approval stage or in the future?.

Thanks

EB2/India
PD June 2004