Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Indonesia
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
maccaid will become famous soon enough
Default Spouse change last name

Hi,
I just got married not long ago.

I'm planning to apply I-485 this july.
My question:
Should she change her name prior to applying I-485 or she can do it after we applying I-485.
How easy itíll be to change last name while I-140 and I-485 pending?

Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks in advance.
maccaid
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute
Default doing it later would be a good idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccaid
Hi,

My question:
Should she change her name prior to applying I-485 or she can do it after we applying I-485.

Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks in advance.
maccaid
If she were to change her name now.. and get a new passport or ID.. it might take longer and jeopardize your ability to file for AOS. Good would be to apply for AOS in her current name now.. and once you get your AOS approved.. then she can change her last name.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
venky08 is a jewel in the rough venky08 is a jewel in the rough venky08 is a jewel in the rough

there is no rule that says your spouse must have your last name. it is just your personal preference. (i am talking from the prespective of immigration application)

Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Indonesia
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
maccaid will become famous soon enough
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7810456
If she were to change her name now.. and get a new passport or ID.. it might take longer and jeopardize your ability to file for AOS. Good would be to apply for AOS in her current name now.. and once you get your AOS approved.. then she can change her last name.
to get AOS approved will take very long time right? depending whether I'll be stuck in FBI name check and the date not retrogress when they process my AOS.

I'm EB3-ROW
PD March 23, 2007

Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
vaishnavilakshmi has a spectacular aura about vaishnavilakshmi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
to get AOS approved will take very long time right? depending whether I'll be stuck in FBI name check and the date not retrogress when they process my AOS.

I'm EB3-ROW
PD March 23, 2007
HI,

Iam also sailing in the same boat.i want to change my maiden name to married name now.Just about to file for i-485.My concerns and doubts are :-

- I need to send it by mail to sanfransisco and what if it gets delayed?
-Will name check be done on two names(married and maiden) and endup in delays and pending of my application?
-All my certificates,recent affidavits till now show my maiden name.But i got written in my son(usa born)'s birth certificate with married name as last name and maiden name maiden name itself.So will that create a problem?...

So with the above issues,can anyone suggest me if i can wait till I-485 approves or it doesnot matter if i change it now?If i travel to sanfransisco and visit consulate general in person and apply will they issue the new passport within the same day??

Awaiting for ur golden responses,
vaishu

Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaishnavilakshmi
HI,

Iam also sailing in the same boat.i want to change my maiden name to married name now.Just about to file for i-485.My concerns and doubts are :-

- I need to send it by mail to sanfransisco and what if it gets delayed?
-Will name check be done on two names(married and maiden) and endup in delays and pending of my application?
-All my certificates,recent affidavits till now show my maiden name.But i got written in my son(usa born)'s birth certificate with married name as last name and maiden name maiden name itself.So will that create a problem?...

So with the above issues,can anyone suggest me if i can wait till I-485 approves or it doesnot matter if i change it now?If i travel to sanfransisco and visit consulate general in person and apply will they issue the new passport within the same day??

Awaiting for ur golden responses,
vaishu
If i were you,I will prioritize what i want ?Filing 485 or a Married Name.If you want to change your name it can be done on any day after getting the GC ,after becoming a Citizen.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute p7810456 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Right on money!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royus77
If i were you,I will prioritize what i want ?Filing 485 or a Married Name.If you want to change your name it can be done on any day after getting the GC ,after becoming a Citizen.
Royus.. said it right. I don't think changing the last name before GC is a "must". Name can be changed at anytime after GC is done.. even if taking GC takes few years. There are millions of couple in US where husband and wife uses different last name. My wife has been the same way for last 7 years.. and never faced any issue. She got it changed last year just for grins.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
vaishnavilakshmi has a spectacular aura about vaishnavilakshmi has a spectacular aura about
Default Thankyou so much!

Hi friends,

thanq so much for the suggestions.Now i have decided not to change my last name until i get my greencard in my hand.Hope everything goes fine .

vaishu

Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gctex is on a distinguished road
Default Name split in passport while I-485 is in process

Hi all,

In her passport, my wife's name appears as follows :

Given name = <blank>
Surname = <First name> <Last Name>

Now visa stamping has this :

Given Name = FNU
Surname = <First name> <Last Name>

We are filing I-485 this week and in all the forms we were thinking of giving :

Given Name = <First name>
Surname = <Last Name>

At the same time initiating a Name Split in the passport. Is it advisable to have name split in passport while I-485 is in process?.

There is actually no "name change" per se. Just splitting it and putting it under the correct first and last names. If we file it using FNU, then all her records like DL, SSN, EAD, AP & then GC all will be starting with FNU, which is what we want to avoid.

The ideal way would've been to split the name in passport first and then file it, but we are afraid we could get stuck with retrogression again, if the process gets delayed!

Please advise !

Thanx

-Gctex

Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
factoryman is on a distinguished road
Default I have a feeling that I posted a reply to this.

Keep it as it is. Then you can do FB based GCs on either side.

Talk of 'having the cake and eat it too'. Perfectly possible in this case.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gctex is on a distinguished road

Thanx. But I didn't quite clearly get that. You mean, we need to fill the forms with :

<blank> for given_name as in passport or,

<FNU> for given_name as in visa stamp or,

<First_name> for given_name the way we want ?.

Please explain. When we go for FP, the names on the application forms must match the names on the passports, right ?.

Thanx again.

-Gctex

Last edited by gctex; 07-02-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

My question:

Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks in advance.
maccaid
i would not hcange until ur done with ur gc....its a pain...wait if u can wait