Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold
Default 485 approved, but no card yet. Travel?

Hi, My wife and I received three emails each regarding 485 approval ("notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident," "CPO ordered," and "approval notice sent") on 9/8. My wife received her "welcome notice" and the card itself within a few days. But I have not received either yet.

1. I know the CPO email says wait 30 days, but given that my wife has already received hers, I suspect that mine was either sent to an incorrect address or there's some other hold up. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

2. I guess I can wait 30 days and then apply for a replacement card with an I-90 (for which the current processing time is 3.5 months). How can I travel internationally in the interim? If anyone is aware, please let me know; I am trying to have a plan in place, in case an emergency arises.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anai View Post
Hi, My wife and I received three emails each regarding 485 approval ("notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident," "CPO ordered," and "approval notice sent") on 9/8. My wife received her "welcome notice" and the card itself within a few days. But I have not received either yet.

1. I know the CPO email says wait 30 days, but given that my wife has already received hers, I suspect that mine was either sent to an incorrect address or there's some other hold up. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

2. I guess I can wait 30 days and then apply for a replacement card with an I-90 (for which the current processing time is 3.5 months). How can I travel internationally in the interim? If anyone is aware, please let me know; I am trying to have a plan in place, in case an emergency arises.
Take infopass, go with your welcome notice, get 551 stamp - it will allow you to travel until you get the physical card. Usually, 551 stamp is valid 1 year from the date of stamping.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Per my lawyer stamp is risky as it can be forged. carry your GC approval notice with you if you have it else have it fedex to you. Carry an advance parole if you have one valid. I suggest travel only if emergency else avoid.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Thanks to the two other posters, for their informative replies.

Here's a follow up. I just called USCIS to discover the following:
About two years ago, we moved and filed AR-11s. The address in their system shows a mix of old and new for me (whereas the address is right for my dear wife). And my card was sent to this incorrect address. What should happen next is that the card will be returned to them and then get mailed out again, but this time with the correct address. What will happen in reality is anybody's guess.

Updating here in case this is helpful to anyone else.

By now I am so used to having a constant 'green card concern' gnawing on a corner of the mind. We've probably grown so fond of each other over the years that even after 485 approval, it lingers on.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Chargeability
:
Singapore
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Compare
fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold fittan is a splendid one to behold

vxg...I disagree with your statement that "stamp...can be forged'. Anything can be forged (e.g. passport, money). If the I-551 is legit what do you have to be afraid of?

wandmaker is correct. Take infopass, tell them you may have to travel soon and get the stamp. I've done it...nothing wrong with that. By the way, since your I-485 is approved, your AP is no longer valid and you should not use it.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandmaker View Post
Take infopass, go with your welcome notice, get 551 stamp - it will allow you to travel until you get the physical card. Usually, 551 stamp is valid 1 year from the date of stamping.
I know some people who have traveled using 551 stamp in the past. They had to go through secondary inspection, carried all their docs with them, but everything went fine.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittan View Post
vxg...I disagree with your statement that "stamp...can be forged'. Anything can be forged (e.g. passport, money). If the I-551 is legit what do you have to be afraid of?

wandmaker is correct. Take infopass, tell them you may have to travel soon and get the stamp. I've done it...nothing wrong with that. By the way, since your I-485 is approved, your AP is no longer valid and you should not use it.
What is stated came from my lawyer and a friend of mine ran into trouble in India where immigration folks gave him hard time and did not believe the stamp when he was returning. At US entry point you will be OK with stamp however you need approval notice as local office will not stamp passport without you having the notice.