Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of
Default Simple question on EB3 -->EB2 Conversion

Simple question on EB3 -->EB2 Conversion,

Guys I know this has been discussed before but would appreciate a yes/no answer on the feasibility of this plan. I will approach my company lawyer/HR only if I receive confirmation if this is possible/reasonable.

Background.

I am EB3 India with a PD of August 2001. I have Masters degree from US. I have worked for the same company since nearly 7 years and have no intent to change companies. My job is a non IT job and my firm is in the management consulting business.

When I started my job I started in an analyst position where only a bachelors degree was required. After 2 years of employment my company filed for my LC. However my LC got stuck in TWC, DOL-Dallas, and BEC-Dallas until last August 2005 when it was approved. Since then I have filed for I140 which was approved in October 2005 and have since been waiting for PD to become current.

Question.

Since the 7 yrs I started with my firm (5 yrs since applied for LC) I have been promoted twice. My current position requires 5 yrs working experience.

I would like to explore the possibility of applying for PERM on the new position under EB2, and then porting my old PD at I 140 stage to the EB3 petition. Can I do this ? I have no intent of leaving my firm as I am quite sure they will transfer me to Canada and give me my same hjob there if it comes to it. I have heard that you can only do what I want to if you have experience from another employer.

Please let me know if my plan is workable, and what are the risks if any.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future

No. You cannot do it. Because experience gained while employed with the same firm that is applying for your LC cannot be used to justify your employment.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2005
Compare
raydhan has a spectacular aura about raydhan has a spectacular aura about raydhan has a spectacular aura about
Default Master's Degree

Nozerd,
bkarnik is right. However, you can apply for EB2 showing that your new position absolutely requires a Master's Degree.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of

But this is a different role/job. It is a manager position. Doesnt that matter ? This job requires 5 yrs exp.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare

New position does not absolutely require masters degree but does absolutely reguire BS plus 5 yrs experience. Would that do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerd
But this is a different role/job. It is a manager position. Doesnt that matter ? This job requires 5 yrs exp.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2005
Compare
raydhan has a spectacular aura about raydhan has a spectacular aura about raydhan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerd
New position does not absolutely require masters degree but does absolutely reguire BS plus 5 yrs experience. Would that do ?
Regardless of the position, you cannot use experience gained from your current employer.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future

No. Again if those 5yrs that you are talking about are from the same employer, the DOL will probably deny your LC as you cannot claim that experience to justify your suitability for the job. The reasoning is that instead of you, if they had hired an American or a PR, he would have gained that experience and thus would be qualified for the job. Don't ask me about the logic behind this...I don't make the regulations or the laws

Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare

Looks like there is no other choice but to wait.

Does anyone know if there is a marketplace out there for EB2 with current PD's in the financial field for someone with an MBA and 5-7 yrs experience. Wonder what price something like this would go for, any ideas ?

Old 04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mrajatish will become famous soon enough mrajatish will become famous soon enough

You could get in trouble for doing this - regardless, I think playing by the law will help in the long run