Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   All other Green Card Issues (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/)
-   -   All Lou Dobbs discussions: don't start new threads on him (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/624-all-lou-dobbs-discussions-dont-start-new-threads-on-him.html)

thuristic 04-18-2006 06:44 PM

All Lou Dobbs discussions: don't start new threads on him

Lou Dobbs at CNN is doing a quick vote to justify his oppinions against amnesty. So far, the majority of the vote is "against" rather than "for". I myself am not a big fan of the proposal becauses it deminishes efforts put in by legal immigrats like ourselves but regardless consider it necessary for us to support as it currently is the only bill alive including retrogression relief along with amnesty.

Media generates publicity by twisting a small fraction of reality. Imagine what Lou would say if he gets a unanimous vote against amnesty. I am sure he will make the best of it to promote negativism towards any relief efforts regardless of it being amnesty or retrogression relief. Please go to the URL below and cast your support vote!

Question: Do you believe Congress should first demand that our borders and ports be secured before taking up immigration reform?

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

cpolisetti 04-18-2006 07:09 PM

I don't believe votes such as this are scientific. Also only people who like the opinion given by him watches the show, so everyone knows it will be biased.

Anyway I did vote NO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuristic
Lou Dobbs at CNN is doing a quick vote to justify his oppinions against amnesty. So far, the majority of the vote is "against" rather than "for". I myself am not a big fan of the proposal becauses it deminishes efforts put in by legal immigrats like ourselves but regardless consider it necessary for us to support as it currently is the only bill alive including retrogression relief along with amnesty.

Media generates publicity by twisting a small fraction of reality. Imagine what Lou would say if he gets a unanimous vote against amnesty. I am sure he will make the best of it to promote negativism towards any relief efforts regardless of it being amnesty or retrogression relief. Please go to the URL below and cast your support vote!

Question: Do you believe Congress should first demand that our borders and ports be secured before taking up immigration reform?

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

jkays94 04-18-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpolisetti
I don't believe votes such as this are scientific. Also only people who like the opinion given by him watches the show, so everyone knows it will be biased.

Anyway I did vote NO.

Last week Lou (who is a Harvard Economics graduate) said he was sending one of his poll results to the WH. Very unfortunate for a non-scientific poll. The other thing is that often a lot of people in decision making capacity ie some congressmen and senators watch Lou Dobbs and are often misled which is why it is key that groups like IV tell the true side of the story. Right now Lou has an anti-H1-B agenda and has been trying to lump H1-Bs as a bad thing for America.

gc03 05-17-2006 11:56 AM

Dobbs: Bush speech satisfies nobody...

Wouldn't it have been nice as well for this president to suggest that the U.S. government would also take seriously its responsibilities to create a new and efficient immigration system to accommodate the backlog of millions of people trying to do the right thing? The same agency that would have to oversee Mr. Bush's amnesty program could not begin to do so because the Citizenship and Immigration Services already faces a backlog of millions of people who are trying to enter this country lawfully.

Read on full

Should we thank CNN Writer Lou Dobbs?

learning01 05-17-2006 12:30 PM

A firm No.

gc03:

Go and search for Lou Dobbs in this forum.

This forum is purely for discussing issues related to problems and difficulties of high skilled legal immigrants., affected by inefficiency of backlog centers, LCs and lack of visa numbers, GC issues and the consequent retrogression.

I haven't gone to the link you provided, because I don't need to. Has Mr.Dobbs advocated our issues, our goals anytime in his effort to highlight immigration issues? I don't think so. He does what is convenient for him and for his ratings and viewership.

So, please let's end this discussion here and please refrain from quoting and promoting the foul mouth Lou Dobbs.
I hope you will understand. Thanks.

qualified_trash 05-17-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by learning01
gc03:

Go and search for Lou Dobbs in this forum.

This forum is purely for discussing issues related to problems and difficulties of high skilled legal immigrants., affected by inefficiency of backlog centers, LCs and lack of visa numbers, GC issues and the consequent retrogression.

I haven't gone to the link you provided, because I don't need to. Has Mr.Dobbs advocated our issues, our goals anytime in his effort to highlight immigration issues? I don't think so. He does what is convenient for him and for his ratings and viewership.

So, please let's end this discussion here and please refrain from quoting and promoting the foul mouth Lou Dobbs.
I hope you will understand. Thanks.

Why are members on this forum so eager to ask others to refrain from this or refrain from that? Are we all not adults leading professionally successful lives. Can we all not have a discussion with varying points of view? I am asking someone - WAIT - begging someone from the core group to ask everyone to stop doing this? What use are our degrees and experience if we cannot listen to dissent? I would like to call this 'EDUCATED ILLITERACY' if I may.

The question posed by the other user was rhetorical in nature. I am not sure why he should understand and refrain. I think the others should either agree/disagree/no comment with him and refrain from asking him to keep quiet.

learning01 05-17-2006 01:39 PM

It is a suggestion and

we could not prevent your postings. Lou Dobbs is fould mouth. Please answer my direct questions:
Can you quote or tell when Lou Dobbs has highlighted our side of the story. Why now? A passing line. It is to support his premise of the article.
So, leave Lou and other foul moths alone. Don't dance with them.

We need focus and we have no focus groups. These forums in IV are the focussed forums for us. So, I suggested that we need to concentrate our efforts and channel them. That's my point.

Your conclusion otherwise is childish and please grow up. I am not from the core group. Call it whatever you want. But stick to the focus and reach the goal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualified_trash
Why are members on this forum so

gc03 05-17-2006 01:54 PM

Not to divert from IV core goals

learning01, I do not agree with you. You should better use different language. I am not here to promote or demote anyone.

Let me ask you a quick question.
Have you contacted Lou Dobbs to publish our stories? probably not.

It's ideal to say thanks and indirectly ask him to publish legal immigration problems.

Berkeleybee 05-17-2006 01:59 PM

Qualified_trash,

We (IV Core) have no problem with dissent or discussion. Both gc03 and learning01 each expressed their opinions on reacting to Lou Dobbs.

On the issue of what to do about Lou Dobbs:

(1) Lou Dobbs is no friend of ours (immigrants) -- he absolutely doesn't make the list of people we should thank! A little googling will tell you more about Dobbs and his immigration politics. He is using this argument today to further his ends. Not just Dobbs but other anti-immigrants are on a divide and conquer path to kill this version of CIR.

(2) IV as a group has plenty else to do, so there will be no IV-wide response to Lou Dobb's comment of the day.

On the other hand, all of our members are individuals, and they are free to express their opinions by calling or writing, so long as they do not claim that these are the opinions of IV as a group.

best,
Berkeleybee

qualified_trash 05-17-2006 02:08 PM

I totally agree with gc03 and learning01 expressing their views. It is when someone starts using terms like "refrain" etc. I get all worked up. gc03 and learning01 are entitled to their thoughts. What they are not entitled to is to tell each other or anyone else to "do this" OR "do not do that". Are we on agreement on this? I can see some name calling going on in these forums which is rather disappointing.

Someone very funnily called me an individual from the US Army who has infiltrated IV.

As for learning01, I know that getting the GC process fixed is of paramount importance here. My only suggestion to learning01 and IV is this.......... If Lou Dobbs can help you you should use his help. You do not know what his thoughts are on legal immigration. If he says that he does not support your cause, you can move on and atleast know where he stands.

If IV is talking to lawmakers from both parties, why cant we speak to all sides of the media?

Berkeleybee 05-17-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualified_trash
My only suggestion to learning01 and IV is this.......... If Lou Dobbs can help you you should use his help. You do not know what his thoughts are on legal immigration. If he says that he does not support your cause, you can move on and atleast know where he stands.

If IV is talking to lawmakers from both parties, why cant we speak to all sides of the media?

Qualified_trash,

IV core members have only 24 hours a day to do IV work and their full time jobs. As such, we have to channel our resources in the most productive way possible. Lou Dobbs is the media equivalent of FAIR, NumbersUSA, Tom Tancredo and company [Do get on to Lexis-Nexis and find out more about him.] We are civil in our encounters with the representatives of these groups, but it is not a productive use of our time to engage with them more than this.

As for dealing with lawmakers -- there too we spend our time productively. We haven't been hanging out with Jeff Sessions and James Sensenbrenner. We use other more reasonable lawmakers to work out deals with the anti-immigrant wing.

best,
Berkeleybee

qualified_trash 05-17-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkeleybee
Qualified_trash,

IV core members have only 24 hours a day to do IV work and their full time jobs. As such, we have to channel our resources in the most productive way possible. Lou Dobbs is the media equivalent of FAIR, NumbersUSA, Tom Tancredo and company [Do get on to Lexis-Nexis and find out more about him.] We are civil in our encounters with the representatives of these groups, but it is not a productive use of our time to engage with them more than this.

As for dealing with lawmakers -- there too we spend our time productively. We haven't been hanging out with Jeff Sessions and James Sensenbrenner. We use other more reasonable lawmakers to work out deals with the anti-immigrant wing.

best,
Berkeleybee

Sounds good to me. I have also made my information available to the core group to be a volunteer. I believe it is more important to do some work rather than just give money. I understand that the work that IV is doing is going to benefit all of us tremendously.

As Sir Winston C once said -- "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Our fight may pale into comparison when you consider that he was discussing WWII. But the spirit needs to be the same from our side if we want to achieve the goal.

Nice blog entry by someone asking Mr Dobbs to put his money where his mouth is:

http://www.visalaw.com/05mar2/10mar205.html

dartkid31 05-17-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkeleybee
Qualified_trash,

best,
Berkeleybee

I agree 100 percent. Anyone who believes Lou Dobbs is a friend of LEGAL immigrants probably also believes Tom Tancredo and NumbersUsa Sympathize with legal immigrants. It always ticks me off whenever Tancredo is waxing poetic in the press about how legalizing illegals would be "sending the wrong message to those trying to do it the right way"; when he is actively trying to end all legal immigration. What a tool and hypocrite. Lou Dobbs falls in the same boat. Dont believe their tripe for one second.

navin2004 05-24-2006 10:04 AM

Finally Lou Dobbs is talking about legal immigrants waiting in line

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/dob...cnn_topstories

This is an excerpt from the above article.

"Illegal aliens are more important to this Congress than securing our borders and our ports, more important than those legal immigrants who have waited in line and who follow the law. The Senate has added to the litany of lunacy that makes up what it calls reform: Illegal aliens would only have to pay back taxes on three of the past five years, they will not be prosecuted for felonies such as identity theft or purchasing or using fraudulent Social Security cards, and unlike millions of visa holders who have to leave the country to have them renewed, they may simply remain in the United States while this Congress and this president give away all the benefits and privileges of American citizenship."

richshi 05-24-2006 10:58 AM

Lou Dobbs, this sob does not care about legal immi

Lou dobbs is pure anti-immigrants. he has never been an advocate of legal immigrants, he is against H-1B. Now he mentions legal immigrants only to defy the illegals. He is a bad person.