Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jnayar2006 is on a distinguished road
Default immigration process comparison Vs. country comparison

The question of immigration to which country is better would probably yield one and the same answer based on the parameters that appear relevant to most people. However, the comparison of immigration processes and systems is an entirely different question - in theory, an employment based immigration system would be a lot better if it is based on correct assumptions. However, an employmet based system that ties an employee to the same job for the duration of the application process, and which requires that the same application processing be redone every time an employee changes jobs, while curtailing the maximum period of time the employee can work in the country is flawed. If the reasoning behind this is that the employee has to show that he/she is indespensible to that one job (with all the highly specific skills that come attached to the job description) which no US citizen/resident is qualified to do, should statistics not show that the majority of positions for which green cards were applied for and obtained have the same employee continuing in that role long after the said employee gets a green card? I would be very surprised if the numbers show that a significant number of employees stick around for any period longer than a year or so in their current, gc-approved roles (and by that, I mean the exact same role for which the GC was applied for - be it with the same company or elsewhere.). In a dynamic market for labor where "skillability" and "learnability" are much more important than current skills and learning, how important is the applicability of a person's current skills to a job that would anyway keep evolving or even changing altogether, during the 6 years of so that a person is employed in that capacity while waiting for the green card?

As long as any amount of faith can be placed on education as an indicator of a person's value to the society, one could contend that a person's level of education and employment *history* (not just the current job) can certainly be used as an excellent proxy for the person's value as an employee to the Nation's economy. Comparing this to the immigration process of Canada etc where the skilled immigrants have not been able to find productive employment commensurate with their titles does not take into account the differences between the two economies. The problem is that skilled immigration and the resultant increase of one factor of production - labor, does not necessarily mean that there is a corresponding increase in another extremely important factor of production - entrepreneurship. Over a period of time, though, this will change - the skilled immigrant population of countries like Canada is still relatively young - eventually, with all the other factors of production coming together, and hopefully, with suitable backing via policies that support a good business climate, things will improve in these countries as well. And this is the main thrust of amny of our arguments to the policy makers - if government policy towards improving the economy using skilled immigration is better in other countries that in the US, then the US is losing some piece of the economic progress pie.

Just my $0.02.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ufo2002 is on a distinguished road

I agree with jnayar here... but everyone keep in mind that no system is perfect. But the US employment-based system has serious flaws... especially in today's more globalised-based economy. The requirement that someone stays in the "same job role / same employer" throughout the green card process probably made sense back in the old days when people usually tend to work their entire lives for one company. Today, that no longer makes sense. Employers everywhere almost have worker turnarounds of 2 years on average. That means given the average GC process is about 6 years, you could be looking at someone potentially changing employers 3 times!
Would anyone like to continue working on the same role/salary for 6 years, given that costs of living increase annually? Of course not.

I know that Australia has a "job-based" PR process, but it doesn't bind you to one specific employer... so at least you do have the freedom to decide what job you would like to take on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnayar2006
The question of immigration to which country is better would probably yield one and the same answer based on the parameters that appear relevant to most people. However, the comparison of immigration processes and systems is an entirely different question - in theory, an employment based immigration system would be a lot better if it is based on correct assumptions. However, an employmet based system that ties an employee to the same job for the duration of the application process, and which requires that the same application processing be redone every time an employee changes jobs, while curtailing the maximum period of time the employee can work in the country is flawed. If the reasoning behind this is that the employee has to show that he/she is indespensible to that one job (with all the highly specific skills that come attached to the job description) which no US citizen/resident is qualified to do, should statistics not show that the majority of positions for which green cards were applied for and obtained have the same employee continuing in that role long after the said employee gets a green card? I would be very surprised if the numbers show that a significant number of employees stick around for any period longer than a year or so in their current, gc-approved roles (and by that, I mean the exact same role for which the GC was applied for - be it with the same company or elsewhere.). In a dynamic market for labor where "skillability" and "learnability" are much more important than current skills and learning, how important is the applicability of a person's current skills to a job that would anyway keep evolving or even changing altogether, during the 6 years of so that a person is employed in that capacity while waiting for the green card?

Just my $0.02.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts
Default Canada migration

Our frustration with the US legal immigration and retrogression seems endless. My wife and I are considering immigration prospects to Canada. Can somebody please suggest good responsive lawfirms that could handle a Canadian PR application? We would also appreciate some insight on Canadian immigration prospects for physicians. Thanks

Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

You dont need any law-firm to handle your canadian PR application .. it is straight-forward enough that any educated applicant can do it himself.

I am no physician myself, but from what I hear foreign physicians in Canada have to go through the whole battery of licensing exams all over again. The going will be tough at least initially till you get all the relevant licenses. But I just do not know of that many physicians who immigrated to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancitizen77
Our frustration with the US legal immigration and retrogression seems endless. My wife and I are considering immigration prospects to Canada. Can somebody please suggest good responsive lawfirms that could handle a Canadian PR application? We would also appreciate some insight on Canadian immigration prospects for physicians. Thanks

Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
STAmisha can only hope to improve

I went through www.canadavisa.com . they are good

BTW, Jobs in Canada requires local licenses etc. So you better checkout.

But once you weather through those stomrs, Canada is one of the best places in terms of oppurtunities and quality of life ( except cold weather)

Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cableman is on a distinguished road
Default Check this link

Quote:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ghlight=canada (Move to Canada)

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Chargeability
:
Georgia
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute dhirajs98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default http://www.cic.gc.ca/

Quote:

I did on my own. Its a time taking process but you can do it on your own. But if you can spend couple of thousand dollars for convenience then there are alot of law firms availble on internet. Just type in canada immigration lawfirm. You will find what you need.

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice and insight about the situation in Canada. Much appreciate your input.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
songlan is on a distinguished road

I did the PR Canadian immi. myself and got the approval. The process is straightforward . However, I hesitate to go there . From what I heard is diffucult to get IT job.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cableman is on a distinguished road
Default IT Job Market

I would recommend you to search online such as http://www.monster.ca and apply for some positions. This is the only reliable way to test the Canadian job market. If you get positive responses, it tells you that your skill set is indeed in demand. If not, you should think twice before moving. Since Canada and US are next to each other, you can probably be able to go for interviews and to secure a job before moving. This way, you are sure that you will have a job when you move.

One reminder. Don't expect their jobs can pay you as good as what you are getting in US. The upside is the living standard is relatively lower in Canada especially compared to big cities like NYC and San Francisco. Also, you will have more vacations and no more worry of GC retrogression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songlan
I did the PR Canadian immi. myself and got the approval. The process is straightforward . However, I hesitate to go there . From what I heard is diffucult to get IT job.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Waitingnvain will become famous soon enough
Default Diy

Applying for Canadian PR is real easy. Do it on your own. We got our case approved in a year.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ujjvalkoul will become famous soon enough

Once you get ur Canadian PR, how long can we "not go" to canada. Will the PR expire if we do not land in canada??

Old 08-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
TheOmbudsman is infamous around these parts

180 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjvalkoul
Once you get ur Canadian PR, how long can we "not go" to canada. Will the PR expire if we do not land in canada??

Old 08-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Law Loving Alien is on a distinguished road
Default Residency Requirement of Canadian PR

Hi,

I am canadian PR too. My understanding is you have to enter Canada with your Canadian PR within 6 months of getting your Canadian PR. However, you can immedietly come out of Canada and stay out of Canada for upto 3 years.

The residency requirement to maintain your Canadian PR is to be physically present in Canada for total of 2 years out of 5 years after 1st time you enter Canada in Canadian PR.

Experts...correct me if I am wrong...

Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of eagerr2i has much to be proud of
Default You are right

You are right on the mark. Need to be physically present 2 years of the next 5 years for your immigration status to be alive in Canada,

Closed Thread