Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2007
Compare
Gurpreet is on a distinguished road
Default Is it same as Australian PR?

Hi Friends,
Is this same in case of Australian PR as well? Has anyone got an extension of Australian PR for another 5 years without fulfiling the criteria of being physically present in Australia for 2 years out of the total 5 years.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 08-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
alien2006 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest checking out www.canadaimmigrants.com and other such websites before plunging into Canada. A good idea is also to check out monster.ca for your job situation. I checked that as well as monsterindia. Guess what, there were 50 times more jobs in India than in Canada (at least in IT). After a lot of debate we have decided to stick in the US through this entire GC process. If it fails, we go back to India where we are with our family as well as have good job prospects. If the intent to immigrate to the US continues, we will try to come here again and restart the GC process.

Almost all the people I know who have or want to go to Canada, don't really want to live there more than 3 years. They just want their citizenship and then want to move back to the US. So I don't see the point of living in yet another country and besides I hate the cold. Just another point of view.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dan19 is on a distinguished road
Default Do It Yourself

I am doing my Canadian Immigration myself.

It is fairly a simple and straightforward process. So my advice is "Do it yourself". Immigration lawyers do normally charge more that $1000 and make mistakes.

Since it takes around 1.5 years for the entire process to complete, send the application as soon as possible. Dont wait for gathering all the document! That will ensure that you get a early priority date. If more documents are needed, they will ask you. (Most people sent English Proficiency and Police Certificates after submitting the application, though they are required to be part of the initial application)

I can describe the procedure:

1. Calculate your points based on the information on Canada Immigration website. If it is more that 67, you are good.

2. To prove English proficiency, take IELTS test. You need to register for the test as soon as possible since some centers are always full. (Some of my friends who studied in USA skipped IELTS - rather they wrote a letter stating that they are proficient in English as they studied/worked in USA)

3. Make sure you have the required funds. It's around $13,000 for a 2 member family. (Again check the Canadian Immigration website for accurate info)

4. Get experience letters if you are claiming experience.

5. Get Birth Certificates and Police Certificates. If you are an Indian, the link you need to look for is http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/misc_guide.asp

6. Though they do ask you to send US FBI Police Certificates, do it later. (They will ask you for updated FBI Police Certificates evenif you submit it earlier)

7. Fill the forms, attach the documents and send it!!!!

Visit http://www.canada-city.ca/canada-immigration/ or
http://www.immigration.ca/discussion...asp?FORUM_ID=4 for further discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancitizen77
Our frustration with the US legal immigration and retrogression seems endless. My wife and I are considering immigration prospects to Canada. Can somebody please suggest good responsive lawfirms that could handle a Canadian PR application? We would also appreciate some insight on Canadian immigration prospects for physicians. Thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts
Default Thanks again!

Thank you all for the insight and advice. I wish the US greencard process wasnt a bureaucratic blackhole. I have been here for 6 years amidst the so-called backlog reduction and the stagnant retrogression with no end in sight. It is really frustrating. My wife being a licensed physician cant work. We just end up coughing up our paychecks to uncle Sam and the lawyers. Unless something is done soon about the legal immigration process, I can see the US losing out to other countries which have a structured system like Canada and Australia.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
STAmisha can only hope to improve

Yes Job market in India is lot hotter than Canada ( IT ) . For that matter it is hotter than US also !!!! But Canada is a 1st world not 3rd world. Once you get that first job in Canada and settle down, there is not much difference between US and Canada in terms of earning and saving potential. There is a short term pain for that INITIAL FIRST job in CANADA, but it is worth it.

Do what you feel like ( moving to India vs Moving to canada) . Every place has its advanatges , In India, family is a big advantage. But quality of life especially social life really sucks! Canada, you have to consider weather ( it is COLLLLLDDDD in winter ). Do what is best for you

Also, you mentioned that India has 50 times more jobs than Canada. It is true but the competition is also HUGE . Every teenager now a days does programming course and every second person is an enginneer.

Good lUck

Old 08-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Andorra
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcfriend65 is infamous around these parts gcfriend65 is infamous around these parts
Default Police Certificate

For the Police certificate at the Indian consulate, do they keep the passport for 45 days i.e. until clearance is received. Or do we get the passport back the same day on which we apply and then the certificate is sent later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan19
I am doing my Canadian Immigration myself.

It is fairly a simple and straightforward process. So my advice is "Do it yourself". Immigration lawyers do normally charge more that $1000 and make mistakes.

Since it takes around 1.5 years for the entire process to complete, send the application as soon as possible. Dont wait for gathering all the document! That will ensure that you get a early priority date. If more documents are needed, they will ask you. (Most people sent English Proficiency and Police Certificates after submitting the application, though they are required to be part of the initial application)

I can describe the procedure:

1. Calculate your points based on the information on Canada Immigration website. If it is more that 67, you are good.

2. To prove English proficiency, take IELTS test. You need to register for the test as soon as possible since some centers are always full. (Some of my friends who studied in USA skipped IELTS - rather they wrote a letter stating that they are proficient in English as they studied/worked in USA)

3. Make sure you have the required funds. It's around $13,000 for a 2 member family. (Again check the Canadian Immigration website for accurate info)

4. Get experience letters if you are claiming experience.

5. Get Birth Certificates and Police Certificates. If you are an Indian, the link you need to look for is http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/misc_guide.asp

6. Though they do ask you to send US FBI Police Certificates, do it later. (They will ask you for updated FBI Police Certificates evenif you submit it earlier)

7. Fill the forms, attach the documents and send it!!!!

Visit http://www.canada-city.ca/canada-immigration/ or
http://www.immigration.ca/discussion...asp?FORUM_ID=4 for further discussions.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dan19 is on a distinguished road
Default They keep it

They keep the passport.
But it didn't take 45 days for me. I got it in 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfriend65
For the Police certificate at the Indian consulate, do they keep the passport for 45 days i.e. until clearance is received. Or do we get the passport back the same day on which we apply and then the certificate is sent later.

Last edited by dan19; 08-31-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough okuzmin is a jewel in the rough

We applied for Canadian immigration through Buffalo, NY in December 2005. I got a letter later in February 2006 stating that the principal applicant (me) must take IELTS. Yes, I sent all the experience letters and a letter of explanation that I have enough English proficiency having stayed in the US for about 11 years, with two bachelor's degrees from a US university, many years of experience, blah-blah-blah. Apparently, that was not enough. So, you better plan on taking IELTS.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
sertasheep will become famous soon enough
Default Physicians in Canada

This was the response I got 3 years ago when I enquired, but I believe the process is different for each province in Canada, and you may want to talk to the person below for more details. Life after internship/residency is not that lucrative in Canada. You may be better off in the Middle East.

If graduating from an accredited medical college in he United States, he/she will have substantially less difficulty obtaining his/her license to practice medicine in Canada.

He/She will have to complete the qualifying examinations that are administered by the Medical Council of Canada. There are two of these exams. Information about these exams can be found at http://www.mcc.ca. He/She should not have to worry about being subjected to the international medical graduate programs since American schools have their degrees recognized by the licensing bodies in Canada.

Contact Info

Scott Butler
Member Relations/Project Manager
Association of International Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (AIPSO)
2 Carlton Street, Suite 1004
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3

Phone: (416) 979-8611 x 4301
Fax: (416) 979-9853
Email: membershipaipso AT cassa.on.ca
Web: http://www.aipso.ca
Check out these links:
http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2004/08/doctors.html
http://www.aipso.ca/doctors_in_waiting.htm
http://www.justlanded.com/english/ca...tors_in_canada
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_2.asp
Lots of links out there, you'll have to do some research.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/24/2007
Compare
like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts like_watching_paint_dry is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfriend65
Is this something that is required at the I-485 stage?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

You need DOB certificate at I 485. I am not sure whether Police Certificate is needed at 485 stage or not. What I am curious is will the USCIS accept DOB certificate from the Indian Embassy or would require it back from the applicants place of birth. A person whom I know has recently requested for DOB certificate and it took almost 45 days in his native place in India.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts indiancitizen77 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertasheep
This was the response I got 3 years ago when I enquired, but I believe the process is different for each province in Canada, and you may want to talk to the person below for more details. Life after internship/residency is not that lucrative in Canada. You may be better off in the Middle East.

If graduating from an accredited medical college in he United States, he/she will have substantially less difficulty obtaining his/her license to practice medicine in Canada.

He/She will have to complete the qualifying examinations that are administered by the Medical Council of Canada. There are two of these exams. Information about these exams can be found at http://www.mcc.ca. He/She should not have to worry about being subjected to the international medical graduate programs since American schools have their degrees recognized by the licensing bodies in Canada.

Contact Info

Scott Butler
Member Relations/Project Manager
Association of International Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (AIPSO)
2 Carlton Street, Suite 1004
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3

Phone: (416) 979-8611 x 4301
Fax: (416) 979-9853
Email: membershipaipso AT cassa.on.ca
Web: http://www.aipso.ca
Check out these links:
http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2004/08/doctors.html
http://www.aipso.ca/doctors_in_waiting.htm
http://www.justlanded.com/english/ca...tors_in_canada
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_2.asp
Lots of links out there, you'll have to do some research.
Thanks for the Information Sertasheep. I guess the middle East especially Dubai is a good option too. I guess the taxes would not be the issue unlike in Canada.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold

We applied for canadian immigration in 2002 but didn't have to provide the IELTS results. Things might have changed since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuzmin
We applied for Canadian immigration through Buffalo, NY in December 2005. I got a letter later in February 2006 stating that the principal applicant (me) must take IELTS. Yes, I sent all the experience letters and a letter of explanation that I have enough English proficiency having stayed in the US for about 11 years, with two bachelor's degrees from a US university, many years of experience, blah-blah-blah. Apparently, that was not enough. So, you better plan on taking IELTS.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

Quote:
We applied for canadian immigration in 2002 but didn't have to provide the IELTS results. Things might have changed since then.
I guess it all depend on the CO and how well you present your case in your application. If you provide enough evidence to show your fluency in the language they might accept them. But it's always a good idea to be prepared and do the test anyway. That was what I did.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all bitu72 is a name known to all

Does any body have information if we need H1 to be valid for 1 year before applying for PR. Mine is expiring in april 06, can i apply now. will they reject it and i have to resend when i get my extension...please responds...

this just a fallback scenario i need to prepare.. also can people work on TN visa without a sponsor..

Closed Thread