Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
Your perspectives go well beyond what an average immigrant thinks about the whole EB system.

I have seen people "NOT" being themselves and do everything at workplace ONLY because their GC is pending and they do not want to have issues with employer for the sake of GC.

In my opinion, which also complements urs, the whole employment thing - if viewed from the eyes of a common man - one whose immigration status is not tied up with employer, is completely different.

I have seen people facing cultural issues, community issues and a wide range of issues - such things get masked when one's focus is on the GC process, heck leave alone GC - people struggle for even getting h1b and maintaining it.
It all comes down to priorities. If someone's aim to have GC at any cost, he/she will do everything to get to the finish line -- i.e. 180 days past I-485. In my opinion, GC process should be part of life, and it should not hijack 100% of time of highly skilled professional. No wonder, we see so many posts where person is waiting for AC-21 so as to get rid of "blood-sucking employer". For a neutral person, both employee and employer are using system to suit their needs.

Some people will go the extent of using term "slavery", whereas, actually, their thought process is slaved to the GC process.

And, employers know this very well and try to use to their advantage.

Quote:
A lot of people I talk to who come fresh out of school or have 2 years of experience or so, think that they have certain skills and employers would not live without them - whereas it is THEIR struggle to maintain h1b and also work towards GC on long run. All this is nothing but lack of thought process that people must apply but will not because their primary aim is to work out a sponsor.
>> have 2 years of experience or so, think that they have certain skills and employers would not live without them
You have described it very well. I have met many of such professionals while interviewing them for jobs. But, the reality is, these same professionals are scraed of their jobs being outsourced.

Some are simple cookie cutter prgrammers and compare themselves to reasearch scientists and technologically superior.

Another thing, I have noticed is that while on H-1B, vast majority of professionals claim that they are getting paid prevaling wages, but, on the other hand, they also claim they can make upto 50% more, if they had EAD or green card. Ironic! Isn't it.

Quote:
I am not blaming an employee or employer for this but this entire EB based system is set up in that way.
You are right. These are the rules set by current EB immigration system.

With this so called "exploitation" by whole Employment Based Immigrations, these professionals turn blind eye to whole thing after getting Green Card. Afterall they are, rightly, professionals.

How many times we see any green card holder or citizen supporting fellow immigrants?

H1 does not care for F1.
EAD does not care for H1/F1.
GC holder does not care for EAD/H1/F1
Citizens wonder why immigration level is so high.

Taking a quote from MTV Roadies program, each professional (roadie) is alone and has to look after his own best interests.

Last edited by desi3933; 07-08-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo - Afterall
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi3933 View Post
It all comes down to priorities. If someone's aim to have GC at any cost, he/she will do everything to get to the finish line -- i.e. 180 days past I-485. In my opinion, GC process should be part of life, and it should not hijack 100% of time of highly skilled professional. No wonder, we see so many posts where person is waiting for AC-21 so as to get rid of "blood-sucking employer". For a neutral person, both employee and employer are using system to suit their needs.

Some people will go the extent of using term "slavery", whereas, actually, their thought process is slaved to the GC process.

And, employers know this very well and try to use to their advantage.

>> have 2 years of experience or so, think that they have certain skills and employers would not live without them
You have described it very well. I have met many of such professionals while interviewing them for jobs. But, the reality is, these same professionals are scraed of their jobs being outsourced.

Some are simple cookie cutter prgrammers and compare themselves to reasearch scientists and technologically superior.

Another thing, I have noticed is that while on H-1B, vast majority of professionals claim that they are getting paid prevaling wages, but, on the other hand, they also claim they can make upto 50% more, if they had EAD or green card. Ironic! Isn't it.

You are right. These are the rules set by current EB immigration system.

With this so called "exploitation" by whole Employment Based Immigrations, these professionals turn blind eye to whole thing after getting Green Card. Afterall they are, rightly, professionals.

How many times we see any green card holder or citizen supporting fellow immigrants?

H1 does not care for F1.
EAD does not care for H1/F1.
GC holder does not care for EAD/H1/F1
Citizens wonder why immigration level is so high.

Taking a quote from MTV Roadies program, each professional (roadie) is alone and has to look after his own best interests.

The exchange between Chanduv and Desi3933 has been a refreshingly objective discussion and is a welcome change from the typical hyper-reactionary posts one sees more frequently in this forum.

One of the features of the fight for EB immigration reforms we all need to be cognizant of is - that most (99%) of the members are in this fight to solve an immediate personal problem (visa situation) in a timely manner - most of us are not in it because we believe it to be a cause larger than us and a cause that demands personal sacrifice - and hence the lack of collective passion (lukewarm responses to IV sponsored drives, donation efforts etc.)

While - many have tried to compare this cause to India's independence struggle or Gandhiji's movement in South Africa - but the fundamental difference is that in both these struggles - people who led the struggles led it at a personal cost (Gandhiji willingly gave away a lucrative career to take up the struggle and so did Nehru; Netaji Bose was a Civil Services Officer and gave it up) - even the vast majority of revolutionaries (Bhagat Singh et al) were college educated professionals who could easily have had nice careers in British India.........and therein lies the fundamental difference......not one of us would willingly give up what we have for this struggle - we are in it because we are stuck in a system and want some resolution.......as soon as our particular situation gets resolved...we move on....(maybe there are a few exceptions and hats off to these folks).........and hence Desi - the answer to your question why H1 does not care for F1 and EAD does not care for H1 and so on.......it is not a collective cause - it is just a collection of individual causes - thats all - we would be fooling ourselves if we had some other grandiose visions - calling this group a cause would be the same as calling passengers on a bus one group - they are in the same bus simply because they share a part of their journey - thats it
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayantan76 View Post
The exchange between Chanduv and Desi3933 has been a refreshingly objective discussion and is a welcome change from the typical hyper-reactionary posts one sees more frequently in this forum.

One of the features of the fight for EB immigration reforms we all need to be cognizant of is - that most (99%) of the members are in this fight to solve an immediate personal problem (visa situation) in a timely manner - most of us are not in it because we believe it to be a cause larger than us and a cause that demands personal sacrifice - and hence the lack of collective passion (lukewarm responses to IV sponsored drives, donation efforts etc.)

While - many have tried to compare this cause to India's independence struggle or Gandhiji's movement in South Africa - but the fundamental difference is that in both these struggles - people who led the struggles led it at a personal cost (Gandhiji willingly gave away a lucrative career to take up the struggle and so did Nehru; Netaji Bose was a Civil Services Officer and gave it up) - even the vast majority of revolutionaries (Bhagat Singh et al) were college educated professionals who could easily have had nice careers in British India.........and therein lies the fundamental difference......not one of us would willingly give up what we have for this struggle - we are in it because we are stuck in a system and want some resolution.......as soon as our particular situation gets resolved...we move on....(maybe there are a few exceptions and hats off to these folks).........and hence Desi - the answer to your question why H1 does not care for F1 and EAD does not care for H1 and so on.......it is not a collective cause - it is just a collection of individual causes - thats all - we would be fooling ourselves if we had some other grandiose visions - calling this group a cause would be the same as calling passengers on a bus one group - they are in the same bus simply because they share a part of their journey - thats it
Well said. healthy discussions help introspect ourselves. In day to day life we seldom see people trying to be wise and good. At workplaces, there is no healthy discussion - all people do is to watch out their backs and talk accordingly - which leads to false perspectives. These days when we give a good advice to friends or someone they may not percieve it in a good way with a "stop preaching me - go help yourself" attitude.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do we have laws ?

I thought we have made immense progress with regard to our moral standards so that one does not have to necessarily make significant personal sacrifices to upholds ones way of life and independence. That is why I believe this is be kind of a Civil rights/Equal Employment kind of case.

It could be argued that the supreme court has given the government authority to discriminate based on country of origin for immigration purposes. That could easily be justified for new people coming into the country. Albiet it is slightly different from the case of most of us, those who are already in the process at some stage. In our case, DOS/DOL/USCIS acknowledge that we should be granted permanent residence (based on Labor) and even on such basis, is willing to extend our visas/work status indefinitely. However, we are being limited to not change employer (in case 485 is not applied) and to not change the field of work (in case 485 is applied). I think this can be argued as a violation of Equal Employment Oppurtunity by the government by a competent lawyer. Even if the court does not do anything, it will go a long way in people and common people realising these issues.

I was surprised to find that even my cousin (who has been here since 1980) did not realise that the situation is so bad until we had a discussion about my status last christmas. Most just assume that a small minority of people with wierd/complicated cases are held up for longer then 2-3-4 years.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravster View Post
I thought we have made immense progress with regard to our moral standards so that one does not have to necessarily make significant personal sacrifices to upholds ones way of life and independence. That is why I believe this is be kind of a Civil rights/Equal Employment kind of case.

It could be argued that the supreme court has given the government authority to discriminate based on country of origin for immigration purposes.

Supreme Court does not give the Government the authority - Supreme Court does not make laws - the legislature (Congress) does - the judiciary can review the laws and decide that it violates the fundamental rights enshrined in the Constitution for Citizens or go against the basic fabric of the Constitution

That could easily be justified for new people coming into the country. Albiet it is slightly different from the case of most of us, those who are already in the process at some stage. In our case, DOS/DOL/USCIS acknowledge that we should be granted permanent residence (based on Labor) and even on such basis, is willing to extend our visas/work status indefinitely. However, we are being limited to not change employer (in case 485 is not applied) and to not change the field of work (in case 485 is applied). I think this can be argued as a violation of Equal Employment Oppurtunity by the government by a competent lawyer. Employer cannot be forced to process any immigration related paperwork against its wishes - otherwise it would infringe upon their fundamental rights as a registered business entity incorporated within US; nor can the employer be forced to take a risk that it would spend time and money hiring and training someone on EAD only to risk losing that person in a year if the 485 gets denied and so on.Even if the court does not do anything, it will go a long way in people and common people realising these issues.

I was surprised to find that even my cousin (who has been here since 1980) did not realise that the situation is so bad until we had a discussion about my status last christmas. Most just assume that a small minority of people with wierd/complicated cases are held up for longer then 2-3-4 years.
I am bringing these out not because I am opposed to equal treatment of folks on H1/ EAD etc - but because there are legitimate arguments both ways and unless we can prove unequivocally that there is gross miscarriage of justice in denying us this right and on the other hand - there is no disadvantage caused to anybody else by granting us this right - this idea is unlikely to see the light of the day

while i am happy to be proven wrong - i do not see anyone in this forum having a stomach for a protracted legal battle starting with lower courts and going all the way to Supreme Court - going back to my previous point - we do not see this as a "larger than me" cause
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.........and hence Desi - the answer to your question why H1 does not care for F1 and EAD does not care for H1 and so on.......it is not a collective cause - it is just a collection of individual causes - thats all - we would be fooling ourselves if we had some other grandiose visions - calling this group a cause would be the same as calling passengers on a bus one group - they are in the same bus simply because they share a part of their journey - thats it
Very well put. To the spot.

You have put nicely what I mentioned in my previous post
Quote:
each professional (roadie) is alone and has to look after his own best interests.
To take it further, roadies form groups (team) to complete tasks, here at IV, immigrants form group to achieve their goals, but ultimately, its everyone's personal quest to be part of this great country.

But, may I add here, we should remember our past and if we can't help any future immigrant, the least we can do, is to encourage him/her.

Wishing success to everyone. yes, to everyone who wants to be part of this great country. Just a fine print, everyone who has played by the rules (aka legal immigrants). Undocumented immigrants should wait in line after legal immigrants.

Afterall, this nation is built by, in part, by immigrants.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute gauravster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am bringing these out not because I am opposed to equal treatment of folks on H1/ EAD etc - but because there are legitimate arguments both ways and unless we can prove unequivocally that there is gross miscarriage of justice in denying us this right and on the other hand - there is no disadvantage caused to anybody else by granting us this right - this idea is unlikely to see the light of the day

while i am happy to be proven wrong - i do not see anyone in this forum having a stomach for a protracted legal battle starting with lower courts and going all the way to Supreme Court - going back to my previous point - we do not see this as a "larger than me" cause
Incorrect words used by me, I did not mean that supreme court gave authority, but that supreme court did not find that discrimination based on country of origin for immigrants violates the basic tenents of this countries constitution.

I am not saying that this is a case on employers. If at all it would be a case against the discriminatory laws of the congress which allow someone to stay indefinitely but, do not allow them to work.

If a case like this is filed, I do not think, I do not see it going to be a proteacted battle. If enough coverage is given, the lawmakers might sit down and fix the problem or atleast have a quick temporary fix. Maybe even lawmakers might not be needed, just the DOJ would might update the rules (which it is allowed in case it determines that the laws are conflicting). Most important of all, this will bring the issues on the front from being a laggard.

Last edited by gauravster; 07-08-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
I am not saying that this is a case on employers. If at all it would be a case against the discriminatory laws of the congress which allow someone to stay indefinitely but, do not allow them to work.
From legal point of view, you are incorrect.

What do you mean by "not allow them to work"? Actually AC-21 weaken the case you are mentioning. Since pending/approved I-140 allows extension of H-1 indefinitely, that alone takes your point away.

When I was on H-1, that time one couldn't extend beyond 6 years, no matter what. Now, case is much different. There are so many working for the employer just on the basis of I-140 alone after 6 years of H1.

Unfair does not always mean illegal.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
What do you mean by "not allow them to work"? Actually AC-21 weaken the case you are mentioning. Since pending/approved I-140 allows extension of H-1 indefinitely, that alone takes your point away.
By does not allow to work, I meant, restricted in taking other oppurtunities that the person might be eligible to take. Even with AC-21, one is restricted to the field in which one originally applied for EB visa. Actually, because it is indefinite, it makes the case stronger that these people are here indefinitely and so should not be restricted in employment oppurtunities. Being for a temporary period, obviously one can be restricted any way, like say people on visitor visa not being allowed to work.

Quote:

When I was on H-1, that time one couldn't extend beyond 6 years, no matter what. Now, case is much different. There are so many working for the employer just on the basis of I-140 alone after 6 years of H1.

Unfair does not always mean illegal.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
By does not allow to work, I meant, restricted in taking other opportunities that the person might be eligible to take. Even with AC-21, one is restricted to the field in which one originally applied for EB visa. Actually, because it is indefinite, it makes the case stronger that these people are here indefinitely and so should not be restricted in employment opportunities. Being for a temporary period, obviously one can be restricted any way, like say people on visitor visa not being allowed to work.
You are incorrect on multiple accounts.

But, before going there, let me ask you this. What is your legal reasoning to dispute the case you have mentioned?

Also, what do you mean by "because it is indefinite"? How do you define "indefinite"? My guess is, that you have not filed for I-485 and you foresee a long wait before eligible to file I-485 and this is what you have termed as "indefinite".

Hint: AC-21 is not for just GC job, it can be used for any job.

Last edited by desi3933; 07-08-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: More questions .....

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
You are incorrect on multiple accounts.

But, before going there, let me ask you this. What is your legal reasoning to dispute the case you have mentioned?

The legal reasoning is "Civil Rights Act of 1964" which applies to all individuals employed by a US employer in the US and to US citizens employed by US employers outside the US.

Last edited by gauravster; 07-08-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
The legal reasoning is "Civil Rights Act of 1964" which applies to all individuals employed by a US employer in the US.
Wow! Amazing!

Please ask your attorney to quote this law when you file for H-1B extension, so that USCIS can not reject extension.

This law applies to US resident only. Temp worker (yes, on H1/L1 status, one is Temp Worker from legal point of view) can not claim protection citing this law. Reason: your employment is subject to USCIS regulations. It says right there on your SSN.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

<< Duplicate Post >>

Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts

Quote:
vivek - I have come across this company. It is a desi consulting company. The "Reqruiter" name seems to be a "nickname". ........................................... ............................ ................. ......................

Looks like desi companies are trying to seek a new identity so that they do not fall under the radar
Chandu, I guess they would rather (prefer to) be under the radar instead of on the radar

My feeble attempt at humor