Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Member's Only Forum > State Chapters > Ohio (OH)
Click to log in with Facebook
Ohio (OH) Ohio (OH)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Compare
want2dosomething is on a distinguished road
Default To Pappu/other administrators regarding joining state chapter

I posted 2 messages under 'Members in Ohio' thread asking for contact information to join IV members from Columbus, Ohio but nobody has responded so far. Does the IV administrators' group maintain some kind of contact info and planned meeting dates for the state chapters that a new IV volunteer can look up and make efforts to join? I am eager to know what are the current activities led by our local chapter so that I can volunteer to do as much as possible by me.
I will greatly appreciate it if someone can reply back and direct new IV members to the correct contacts. If there is no active state chapter in our area, I am willing to work to initiate such a process in our local area.
Please reply back.
Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default there is a MI chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2dosomething View Post
I posted 2 messages under 'Members in Ohio' thread asking for contact information to join IV members from Columbus, Ohio but nobody has responded so far. Does the IV administrators' group maintain some kind of contact info and planned meeting dates for the state chapters that a new IV volunteer can look up and make efforts to join? I am eager to know what are the current activities led by our local chapter so that I can volunteer to do as much as possible by me.
I will greatly appreciate it if someone can reply back and direct new IV members to the correct contacts. If there is no active state chapter in our area, I am willing to work to initiate such a process in our local area.
Please reply back.
Thanks!
want2dosomething,
please check this link
http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...d=72&Itemid=52

This link lists all the state chapters. I dont see an OHIO chapter, if you want you can start one and we can help you in doing that.

Also, there is a MI chapter, so if you want you can join MI chapter.

The best thing will be, if you are willing to volunteer, you can start the OH state chapter and we all can help you in doing that.

Please let us know.

Thanks.

GO IV GO. TOGETHER WE CAN

Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm the leader for MI chapter. I think there is an existing OH chapter. We did direct some members to form/join the chapter. Not sure if they did indeed form one or not ( difficult to track as we are a volunteer-based org).

I have sent an inquiry to paskal - IV core member coordinating State chapters - about the state of OH chapter. If there is no functional OH chapter, you can start one, or you can join MI chapter (if you wish).

If you wish to start or rejuvenate OH chapter - send a 'Private Message' (PM) to paskal. He'll guide you. Here's an excellent guide (by IL leader Anil) on how to start and maintain a State chapter - http://anilgeneral.blogspot.com/2007...e-chapter.html

If you decide on joing MI instead, participating in MI chapter will require you to drive to Detroit (and further north) as most of our membership live there. We do have members from Lansing and Ann Arbor who do drive long distance to participate in our activities. So as long as long distance driving (once in a while) isn't an issue you are most welcome. We already do have a guest member from OH in our group.

Quote:
Please reply back.
Thanks!

Last edited by walking_dude; 03-18-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Compare

Thank you, Akhilmahajan, for the reply!

Yes, I am willing to do it and I too would prefer to start OH chapter for various reasons, to name a few - 1)we will have an IV presence and voice in OH also in addition to all the active state chapters 2) I can try my best to gather more volunteers to join a local chapter in Columbus 3) Do our best to meet with Ohio congress people as an added voice.

I would like to get started as soon as possible. It will be great if I can get the required information and guidance from IV members on this.

Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2005
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post
Hi,

I'm the leader for MI chapter. I think there is an existing OH chapter. We did direct some members to form/join the chapter. Not sure if they did indeed form one or not ( difficult to track as we are a volunteer-based org).

I have sent an inquiry to paskal - IV core member coordinating State chapters - about the state of OH chapter. If there is no functional OH chapter, you can start one, or you can join MI chapter (if you wish).

If you wish to start or rejuvenate OH chapter - send a 'Private Message' (PM) to paskal. He'll guide you. Here's an excellent guide (by IL leader Anil) on how to start and maintain a State chapter - http://anilgeneral.blogspot.com/2007...e-chapter.html

If you decide on joing MI instead, participating in MI chapter will require you to drive to Detroit (and further north) as most of our membership live there. We do have members from Lansing and Ann Arbor who do drive long distance to participate in our activities. So as long as long distance driving (once in a while) isn't an issue you are most welcome. We already do have a guest member from OH in our group.
Hi Walking_dude, sorry did not read your message before I posted mine. Thanks for your reply. I will follow up on the OH chapter details as you've suggested. Also, thank you very much for the invitation on joining MI chapter. I will see if we can rejuvenate the OH chapter if it already exists, if not start one for the reasons i gave already. If supposing I am the only one member in Ohio(which I really do not think will be the case), then it makes sense to join MI chapter. I would not mind travelling once in a while if we can do teleconference meetings for the regular meetings.
Thank you!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have a different question

How do you revive a state chapter that has no activity at all?. I have been struggling with the SO.Cal chapter recently. There is absolutely no activity in our chapter. I have a lot of respect for the state chapter leaders and all the work they have put in. I am trying to become part of the leader group but I am getting no where. I am very discouraged at this time

Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute
Question Sorry

I am sorry if I am hijacking the thread here. I believe I have an experience I would like to share. I am still working to start a chapter here in NE. Surprisingly I am yet to find a member here from NE.
Until then, I wanted to join another state chapter. I applied to Kansas Chapter. No Response yet. Then I applied to MN chapter. No response yet. Are these chapters active at all? or, is it because they are not interested in members from other states? Please respond

Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Try Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnraajan View Post
I am sorry if I am hijacking the thread here. I believe I have an experience I would like to share. I am still working to start a chapter here in NE. Surprisingly I am yet to find a member here from NE.
Until then, I wanted to join another state chapter. I applied to Kansas Chapter. No Response yet. Then I applied to MN chapter. No response yet. Are these chapters active at all? or, is it because they are not interested in members from other states? Please respond

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Send Paskal a PM that you wish to start the NE chapter. And keep sending PMs until he responds... :-) [ perseverance can take you a long way in life :-)]

Since state chapters are managed by volunteers with daytime jobs and the IV policy requires us to verify members by calling them, which gets usually done on the weekends, in the spare time, some delay in approvals is to be expected. Process can be speeded up by providing following info along with the request - Full Name, IV id, Phone number, City, Zip Code etc. If the request is not approved after a week, it may be a good idea to send a new request with the note that a previous request was sent a week back.

It may be that state chapters may be reluctant to accept members from other states, especially if they believe there's already an active chapter there. A note to the effect 'I don't have an active state chapter in my state, hence would like to join you and participate in your activities' will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnraajan View Post

Last edited by walking_dude; 03-18-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

I commend your decision to start a state chapter. Wish you all the best. If you need any more info or help feel free to send a PM (Private Message) to me.

Quote:
Hi Walking_dude, sorry did not read your message before I posted mine. Thanks for your reply. I will follow up on the OH chapter details as you've suggested. Also, thank you very much for the invitation on joining MI chapter. I will see if we can rejuvenate the OH chapter if it already exists, if not start one for the reasons i gave already. If supposing I am the only one member in Ohio(which I really do not think will be the case), then it makes sense to join MI chapter. I would not mind travelling once in a while if we can do teleconference meetings for the regular meetings.
Thank you!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default santb1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by santb1975 View Post
How do you revive a state chapter that has no activity at all?. I have been struggling with the SO.Cal chapter recently. There is absolutely no activity in our chapter. I have a lot of respect for the state chapter leaders and all the work they have put in. I am trying to become part of the leader group but I am getting no where. I am very discouraged at this time
If you want we can talk about it.
Its always an issue and will always be an issue.
I guess we need to keep on working on it and keep on trying our best.
We have also faced the same problem, but with time people understand and try to help as much they can.

Dont be discouraged. If you want we can talk about it and come up with ways to keep the state chapters going on. It will help everyone.
Let me know what you think.

GO IV GO.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

How about me moving down there as an active member ?

To be honest, MI chapter also depends on a few active members to do all the work. Others chip in, once in a while. We are managing with whatever we have, and do the best we can without letting the general inactivity demotivate us.

Paskal is in-charge of adding to the leaders group. Send a PM to him, he'll be able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santb1975 View Post

Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of state chapters, why not do what the NFL does? 5 Zones

NE, SE, NW, SW and Central?

You will have more members per zone and less division between members.

Can someone provide a brief history on state chapters and their importance and why they were started, what they do etc?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa View Post
Instead of state chapters, why not do what the NFL does? 5 Zones

NE, SE, NW, SW and Central?

You will have more members per zone and less division between members.

Can someone provide a brief history on state chapters and their importance and why they were started, what they do etc?
Excellent Point. Couldnt agree more..

Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is a Good Idea

We should definately start a discussion around this

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilmahajan View Post
If you want we can talk about it.
Its always an issue and will always be an issue.
I guess we need to keep on working on it and keep on trying our best.
We have also faced the same problem, but with time people understand and try to help as much they can.

Dont be discouraged. If you want we can talk about it and come up with ways to keep the state chapters going on. It will help everyone.
Let me know what you think.

GO IV GO.