Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ruth B is on a distinguished road
Question F-1 applying for AOS

"I would like to hear your professional opinion on the following issue: I have been on F-1 visa for 7 consecutive years. I have an employer that has sponsored me as a Graphic Designer. In fact I have obtained the I-140 through him already. I recently applied for employment AOS (July 25th) with my wife (She is on F2 visa) and I'm currently waiting on the Notice Receipt. School starts on August 20th and I'm hesitant on when exactly the new Immigrant Status starts. Do I still need to enroll for classes in order to maintain my visa? I don't intend to finish school due to financial difficulties, when exactly may I drop out from school? Should I remain enrolled up until I receive the EAD and AP? Thanks in advance for your response."
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
crystal is a name known to all crystal is a name known to all crystal is a name known to all crystal is a name known to all crystal is a name known to all crystal is a name known to all

Keep Visiting IV

It is better to maintain ur F1-status (meaning all that needed to be on F1) atleast till you get receipt number.
(So that there is no need to worry incase ur application gets rejected and you dont get receipr number).

If you are on F1 while applying i-485, There is no clearly defined rules on when your F1 status goes out after aplying I-485.
If you are currently on valid F1 status then you can keep that status if you want to, provided if you obey all F1 rules
In general, If you use I-485 EAD and AP you are almost out of F1-status

http://www.nafsa.org/_/Document/_/ns...open_house.pdf

from above link:

16. What is the guidance regarding adjustment of status and SEVIS maintenance? Until what point must a person maintain F-1 or J-1 status?

A period of authorized stay begins at the time the applicant properly files his/hersection 245 I-485 with CIS. The applicant’s nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 status should bemaintained at least until their I-485 is properly filed to avoid triggering unlawful presence issues.

more dicussed here

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12093 (Can I work on-campus while AOS pending?)

Last edited by crystal; 08-14-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote