Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of
Exclamation My recent experience at Newark Airport

Here is the complaint - I gave to CBP (One more thing I noticed with other h1b candidates that - As soon as any officer sees H1b People - officers change their voice tone - soft spoken to yelling)

(I am working for client directly - no consulting company involved)

Respected Sir/ Madam,

Ref: Non-professionally treated by CBP Immigration officer at Newark Airport (On Window No. XX in non-immigration queue on April Xth, 2010 at xx.xx PM)

I hereby would like to inform about my experience with CBP Officer at Newark Liberty international airport on April xth, 2010 at xx:xx PM.

I arrived at Newark airport by AI Flight no. 191 on April xth, 2010. I was standing in Non-immigration queue and waiting at window number XX for non-immigration inspection.

I was called by CBP Officer for inspection and officer talked nicely. She started to treat me in non-professional manner as soon as Officer saw my H1B Visa and provided I-797 approval. The officer asked following question – I tried my best to provide answers for Officer’s satisfaction.

• What is your Job Title?
• How much do you earn? (when I said my salary – Officer is very much
upset from me)
• What you can do that American worker can’t do?
• How did you get this job?
• Why your company didn’t sponsor other visa then H1B?
• Where is your wife?
• How many bags do you have?
• Did you bring any food?

After all above questions officer is commented – “Thanks to H1B Programs that allow you to come USA.

Based on my experience, I felt very non-professional treat. I would also like to comment here few things.

We know that USA economy is recovering slowly and we also faced stress and hardship during recession in USA.

I am staying in USA since 20xx and contributing in USA economy, paying taxes and mortgages. I am earning and spending.

This entire experience was awful and felt of loosing dignity to work for land of opportunities.

I hope above mentioned comments will help CBP to improve its operations.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below given responce I got from CBP:

Good Afternoon,
Permit me to apologize for any rude or unprofessional conduct that you may have experienced during CBP processing. Let me assure you that it is not the intent of CBP to subject travelers to unwarranted scrutiny.
Speaking with travelers and closely examining their documentation are some of the ways we look for mala fide or improperly documented travelers. We rely upon the judgment of our individual CBP officers to use their discretion as to the extent of examination necessary.
However, CBP officers are expected to conduct their duties in a professional manner and to treat each traveler with dignity and respect. Each traveler is entitled to the utmost courtesy and professionalism that can be offered within the limits of our enforcement responsibilities. CBP expects all its officers to conduct their duties in a professional manner and to treat each traveler with dignity and respect.

CBP takes allegations of employee misconduct very seriously and has instituted policy pertaining to abuses of authority. Complaints of unprofessional conduct are recorded and investigated, and disciplinary action is taken against CBP officers who are found to have violated policy. However, The Privacy Act prevents CBP from disclosing information on the nature of any discipline taken against the employee as a result of the allegation. We do thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. You can be assured that this matter will be forwarded to the Port Director’s office at Newark Liberty International Airport.

Again, we regret any inconvenience or unpleasantness that you may have experienced during your CBP processing. We hope that your future encounters with CBP will be of a more pleasant nature. We appreciate your interest in Customs and Border Protection.

Regards,

Last edited by ashres11; 04-07-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

8 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute thescadaman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks for posting your experience in First Person

Thanks for posting your experience. Finally, finally, we have a real person who has come forward that they have had issues at the Newark Airport.

For a long time in IV, it was always a ghost, my friend's friend, neighbors colleague etc.. who got problems at the airport and IV Core could not take any initiative. I am glad that finally we have someone in First Person telling us that Yes, we do have major profiling issues at the Newark Airport.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Participated in Advocacy Day - April 2011
Participated in DC Rally - Sept 2007
Texas State Chapter - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasiv

Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
dextro_a is a name known to all dextro_a is a name known to all dextro_a is a name known to all dextro_a is a name known to all dextro_a is a name known to all dextro_a is a name known to all

My family's experience on the same airport was totally different. My wife and kids entered via Newark during last week of March. The officer was really nice and it only took 15-20 mins for her to clear the entry process (including secondary inspection). She entered on AP.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of ashres11 has much to be proud of
Default My wife's experience is also good

Sir,

You are right. Same thing with my wife, she entered using AP in last week of March and even her experience is good.

Please read thread, I am talikng only about H1b that I used instead of AP as I have valid visa stamp in passport.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute sammyb has a reputation beyond repute
Post JFK is much better

I have came thru JFK twice in last 2 months and both the time it was very smooth experience ...

I work for a mid-size consulting company and does work at client locations ... no questions asked at the CBP post .... checked the PP and visa stamp and stamped the I-94 till the validity of the visa ....

Greened on 07/11/2011 @ TSC

Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear that you felt you were unprofessionally treated. As far as I'm concerned there were just two questions that were unnecessary.

1) what can you do that an American worker can't do? and Where is your wife?

looking at your English and If you had spoken the same way as you had written, I feel she would have been tempted to probe you(your English skills are poor), However those two questions were really unnecessary. I'm wondering what was your answer for "what can you do that an American worker can't do?"

Why the hell does she want to know where your wife is. For all purposes it could be a business trip? But I think we are too sensitive for our own good.

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you felt you were unprofessionally treated. As far as I'm concerned there were just two questions that were unnecessary.

looking at your English and If you had spoken the same way as you had written, I feel she would have been tempted to probe you(your English skills are poor), However those two questions were really unnecessary. I'm wondering what was your answer for "what can you do that an American worker can't do?"

Why the hell does she want to know where your wife is. For all purposes it could be a business trip? But I think we are too sensitive for our own good.
Sir,

questions are asked by CBP Officer not by me.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

what were your answer for the American question though?

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare

Quote:
1. work related question is to my technical skills (VM Architect)
2. The other question is related to know whethe I travelled alone or with family.

My problem is not with questions which they asked but with their voice tone from soft speaking to yelling (as soon as I saw H1B approval). This is not only with me but I also saw one more person who is on H1 and officer is yelling on him.

Last edited by ashres11; 04-07-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2011
Compare
TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute TeddyKoochu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashres11 View Post
1. work related question is to my technical skills (VM Architect)
2. The other question is related to know whethe I travelled alone or with family.

My problem is not with questions which they asked but with their voice tone from soft speaking to yelling (as soon as I saw H1B approval). This is not only with me but I also saw one more person who is on H1 and officer is yelling on him.
Many thanks for posting your experience. I had a pleasant experience at Newark last time but hearing so many cases it a place best to avoid.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Way to go OP !

Thanks for sharing the story.
Commend you for standing up against this abusive officer !

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future

thanks for sharing the story. two important things to note here
(a) Its not your business to explain why an American couldnt be found to do that job - nor is it a legal question at port of entry. if some nut does ask that, as a LOT of anti-immigrants are staffed at CBPs, politely explain that USCIS and dept of labor have processes in place that determine that and your company's application to sponsor you was approved by them -as they can verify from your 797.
(b) testing your english lang skills beyond conversational level isnt the CBPs domain unless you are coming here for a phd in literature or to edit the old lady in NYC. theres nothing out of the ordinary with your english just so you know

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ideal answer should be -- " Here is the phone number of my employer, please ask him/her"

Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare

As much as CBP officer doesn't need to test ur English skills... but if u are going to stutter and stumble they will be more than interested to probe you..

Glad to hear that the OP was allowed to enter in to the USA.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute niklshah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

U are really dumb to comment on the language when someone is trying to share his real experience. looking at your ID on IV you might have southern indian accent and they might do same to you.

1 out of 5 members found this post helpful.