Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Algeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sumukhangle can only hope to improve
Thumbs up opt application issue/ travel for marriage

I m studying MS on F1 visa. My marriage has been confirmed in June 2008 therefore I have to travel to India in June and will be back by july end.

I was planning my graduation in may 2008 but I will extended it to august 2008 as i found out that it is not advised to travel out of USA when on Optional Practical Training and also the best time to graduate is in summer to avoid the h1b gap.

Since we have the option of taking courses online in summer, I will enroll in 1 course (online) in summer 2008, which will be my last course and I will graduate in august 2008.

My question is that will I have problems at the port of entry while retuning in July 2008?
(I will take a transcript from the university showing that I have 1 course in progress in summer and will graduate in august 2008. I m entering usa on f1 before my graduation.)

Also which date should I send my application to the uscis for opt? (Texas center)
(I don’t wanna apply before I leave for india in june as I have heard that if the opt is approved I might have problems entering usa as I will need the EAD card to enter. I can keep the application ready and request my friend to ship the application for me but I need to know the right date to apply so that the opt is not approved by the time I come back in july end.)

I also wanted to know does the university informs the uscis that the student has applied for graduation ? will the officer at the port of entry know that I have applied for graduation or for opt?

Last edited by sumukhangle; 10-25-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi

In your situation the ideal date for OPT start would be Oct 1st unless if you are not startig your job immideately after graduation. And make sure that theres not more than 60 days between your graduation and your opt start date. Because you can have a 60 days grace period for status change which you could use if you want. The port of entry people check all your status online most of thetime, and if they still need more information they will call your school ISO director. so make sure that they know about our trip. I dont think you will have any problems for re-entering into U.S, in your case .Wish you the best.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Algeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

hi there thanks for your reply but i wanted to know the date i should send my opt application and not the opt starting date.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute
Default OPT send date

I presume you could apply any time in your final sem by getting a certificate of about to fcomplete the couse from your advisor, but you better to contact your ISO office. I heard that its taking more than 4 months for processing the application.

Last edited by vdlrao; 10-25-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Algeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Will I have a problem at the port of entry, to renter the USA, if my OPT/EAD card has been approved , if I travel before my graduation?

Example:

Opt applied 1st June 2008
Opt approved 15th July 2008
Opt start date 1st Oct 2008

Graduation date 10th Aug 2008

Travel out of USA: 5th July 2008 to 20th July 2008

Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
Default Travel on OPT

First of all OPT is for practical training and you couldnt enter into usa using OPT card. But if you have a valid F1 even though you graduated or about to graduate, and your school is well informed about your travel and your ISO director signs most recently on your I-20, then you are good to travel.
Ex: Say you have an OPT till Jun 2008, and your F1 visa is till Sept 2010 then you are good to travel as long as you are well informed to your school and got their permission for your travel.