Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kumar v is on a distinguished road
Default Came to US on L1.Can I work on my H1 approved petition

I came to USA on L1A through company A in February,2008 and working on L1 A till date.My I-94 is valid till feb,2011.

I filed H1B through company B in April,2007 in India and got approved petition in August,2007. That approved petiton is with my company B in USA.I have not gone for H1 B stamping.

Now I want to switch to H1 B in USA.I was told by my friends that,I can work on H1 B with my approved H1 petition.and I need not to go for H1B stamping.
I need to get visa stamped only if I goto India and to come back USA.

Can I work directly on my H1B petition with out stamping visa?

Incase, stamping is required, Shall I go to canada/Mexico for H1 B visa stamping.

Can I come back to USA with my L1 visa from canada/Mexico incase H1 b visa not issued? or shall I need to go back to India from Canada/mexico it self?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-10-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-02-2007
Compare
gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute gc_kaavaali has a reputation beyond repute
Default did u apply?

When applying for H1B did u also apply for change of status? if you did you can start work on H1B from october onwards. If not you have to get out of the country and get it stamped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar v View Post
I came to USA on L1A through company A in February,2008 and working on L1 A till date.My I-94 is valid till feb,2011.

I filed H1B through company B in April,2007 in India and got approved petition in August,2007. That approved petiton is with my company B in USA.I have not gone for H1 B stamping.

Now I want to switch to H1 B in USA.I was told by my friends that,I can work on H1 B with my approved H1 petition.and I need not to go for H1B stamping.

Incase, stamping is required, Shall I go to canada/Mexico for H1 B visa stamping.

Can I come back to USA with my L1 visa from canada/Mexico incase H1 b visa not issued? or shall I need to go back to India from Canada/mexico it self?

After 8 years........Finally Green'ed on 9th July 2010.
Thanks IV for your help and support!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apply for COS

Since the last action is you came on L1, you can apply for change of status to change from L1b to H1. Once it is approved, you can go back to H1b.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
nashim will become famous soon enough

If you donít want to go out of USA then you can apply for change of status to change from L1b to H1 or you can go out of USA and get H1b stamping done.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of

Quote:

It depends on the type of H-1 approval you have.

1. If it was applied as COS, then it will have an I-94 attached to it. This means on Oct 01, your status will change from L to H and you can no longer work for your L employer.

2. If it was approved as "visa to be issued abroad", then it is not valid until you get a H visa stamped at some Consulate.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kumar v is on a distinguished road

As I mentioned in my post, I have applied for H1 in India in April,2007and got approval in August,2007.

My Approved H1 B petition does not have change of status i.e 1-94.

I came to USA on L1 in Feb,2008 and working till date. and my I-94 is valid till Feb,2011.

As I want to shift to H1 B,I think I need to go out of country i.e Canada from USA for H1 B stamping.

My question is:

If for some reason, I have not issued H1 visa at Canada consulate,
Is my L1 is still valid and Can I comeback to USA on my L1 visa and I-94? and Can I continue working on my L1 in USA?

Please suggest me the better approach.

My objective is to switch to H1 using my old approved petiiton and not want to go back to India for H1 stamping.

Regards

Old 08-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pcjandyala is just really nice pcjandyala is just really nice pcjandyala is just really nice pcjandyala is just really nice pcjandyala is just really nice

Kumar,

We understand your concerns. Please double check whether you can apply for COS(chang of status) alone as you are already here so that USCIS approves such requests. if you are hesitant to go out of the country then you may look for one more option. You got H1B approval so you are excemted from the quota. So, you can apply for another H1B+COS with Company B and you can start using it once it's get approved.

Please note that you cannot come back on L1b if you opt to go out of country for stamping otherwise your last status rule applies.

GC Category:- EB-2
PD:- Dec, 2004
140 :- Mar, 2007
485 :- July, 2007
131/765 Filed:- Aug , 2007
Receipt Numbers(485):- WAC-XXXXXXXXX
Receipts(131/765) :- LIN - XXXXXXX
EAD : Got it
AP : Got it
FP : Done
+++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
+++++++++++

Old 08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here are the answes

Quote:
As I mentioned in my post, I have applied for H1 in India in April,2007and got approval in August,2007.

My Approved H1 B petition does not have change of status i.e 1-94.

I came to USA on L1 in Feb,2008 and working till date. and my I-94 is valid till Feb,2011.

As I want to shift to H1 B,I think I need to go out of country i.e Canada from USA for H1 B stamping.

My question is:

If for some reason, I have not issued H1 visa at Canada consulate,
Is my L1 is still valid and Can I comeback to USA on my L1 visa and I-94? and Can I continue working on my L1 in USA?

Please suggest me the better approach.

My objective is to switch to H1 using my old approved petiiton and not want to go back to India for H1 stamping.

Regards
As you entered US on L1 after your H1B approval from India, You need to get that H1B stamped to work on H1B.
Looks like it is a one year old H1B. You should have a valid and strong answer when the officer asks you why you did not use that then or why do you want that one stamped now.

Best way is you can ask your H1B holder to apply for another H1B COS as the visa number is already counted against the cap. Hope fully you are not outstide the US for more than 1 year after approval.

If you go to candian consulate and your H1B gets rejected, it is a tough route. As soon as you go to the consulate they will cancel all the existing visas. You can enter the country with an attorney withing 30 days and your company A should be able to do an L1 again or you are out of status.

I strongly recommend you to go to your home country for the visa stamping until unless you have a US masters degree.

Need more PM me.

Good luck.