Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2002
Compare
sportsguy131 will become famous soon enough
Default Please Helpppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I have a question, this is about my mom's H1 B visa. Her H1B visa is about to expire in one month.(she had a maximum stay for 6 years). But my grandfather had applied for a greencard process for my mom through family based and we are 2 months away from getting the visa numbers. So Is there any way my mom can extend her H1B. She is currently working as a teacher. (There are lot of options for people who applied for Greencard process through employment, but I don't see any for family based greencard process). Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank You.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is ok as long as she does not overstay 180 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy131 View Post
Hello,
I have a question, this is about my mom's H1 B visa. Her H1B visa is about to expire in one month.(she had a maximum stay for 6 years). But my grandfather had applied for a greencard process for my mom through family based and we are 2 months away from getting the visa numbers. So Is there any way my mom can extend her H1B. She is currently working as a teacher. (There are lot of options for people who applied for Greencard process through employment, but I don't see any for family based greencard process). Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank You.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2002
Compare

hey thx a lot for the info....but can she work in those 180 days?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light

check out immigrationportal.com

the reason you wont get anywhere in terms of answers in a public forum is because you have not provided us with any relevant information. which forms were filed by your grandfather...which category was it filed under.

did your grandfather not file form I-765? that is an employment authorization document...giving your mom unrestricted permission to work.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
mp2007 will become famous soon enough

Hi Sportsguy,

Please consult a lawyer, you dont want her to land in trouble because you did not get the correct advice.

MP

Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2002
Compare

My Grandfather applied for my mom in Family Based GreenCard under First Preference category.

He filed -
I-130,
his citizenship forms

Old 07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute punjabi has a reputation beyond repute
Default good luck

If she has been out of USA during her 6 years of H-1B, she can use that period for her H1B extension. It can give her an extra breathing space.

Also, for 180 days, she can stay in USA but I am not sure if these 180 days is from the date she last time entered in USA or from the day her visa ends.

I suggest you to consult a good attorney. It is suggested to spend some time and money on attorney and help her stay out of trouble.

Good luck.

Quote:
Hello,
I have a question, this is about my mom's H1 B visa. Her H1B visa is about to expire in one month.(she had a maximum stay for 6 years). But my
through employment, but I don't see any for family based greencard process). Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank You.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Life is a game....why get serious?
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
$930 in contribution, DC Rally & Phone Campaign

[SAVE PAPER think before you print.]

Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Compare
syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light syedajmal is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2 Options

Option 1 - If she has been out of the USA for a significant amount of time for which you have proof, that time can be recaptured. I did this and recaptured 7 months. And Yes she can work for the time recaptured.

Option 2 - She can leave the country now, before here 6 years finishes, come back later and maybe use her GC or recapture the time that she spent out of the US then.

Hope this helps

Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute m306m has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello,
Thank You.
Are you sure she is 2 months away in getting her visa number current? For example if her priority date is Jan 1st 1998 and they are currently processing Nov 1st 1997. It seems like you mother will be current in 2 months but it could take USCIS 2 years to move forward 2 months in processing. Processing dates don't move by calendar time.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question. If so please ignore the above.

If she has been out of the country for any significant amount of time during the 6 years she can file an extension for that time. I would not recommend that she continue to work if the H1 has expired and I think you should consult an attorney to figure out her options.

HR3012 Wiki | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

$100 HR3012 Drive + Attended San Jose Rally
$150 Sponsor trip to DC
$600 2010 & 2011-Advocacy Campaign.
$410 Contribution towards the Visa Recapture and Omnibus Drive
$25 Monthly recurring

PD: May 2003 (EB3)
I-140: 12/26/2006
I-485 Filed 06/29/2007 July 2nd receipt

FL Chapter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FL_Immigration_Voice/

Getting there...
Support IV

Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2002
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by m306m View Post
Are you sure she is 2 months away in getting her visa number current? For example if her priority date is Jan 1st 1998 and they are currently processing Nov 1st 1997. It seems like you mother will be current in 2 months but it could take USCIS 2 years to move forward 2 months in processing. Processing dates don't move by calendar time.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question. If so please ignore the above.

If she has been out of the country for any significant amount of time during the 6 years she can file an extension for that time. I would not recommend that she continue to work if the H1 has expired and I think you should consult an attorney to figure out her options.
Hey thx a lot guys for all your help....
To (M306M),
The priority date for Family Based First Preference is 15 Mar 2002, and my grandfather who is a citizen filed for my mom's Greencard in April 27 2002.
Hope this helps....

Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/04/2007
Compare
karthkc is on a distinguished road
Default Look for options..

Quote:
Hey thx a lot guys for all your help....
To (M306M),
The priority date for Family Based First Preference is 15 Mar 2002, and my grandfather who is a citizen filed for my mom's Greencard in April 27 2002.
Hope this helps....
Family Based (FB) quota works differently from Employment-based (EB) for green cards. This forum is geared towards EB so you may not get a lot of help here...

As far as extending her H1B goes, if there have been no other Employment-Based GC applications filed on her behalf, I dont think of any way that will allow you to extend her H1B short of time outside the country recapture (as suggested above)

Look at all the days she has been out of the US in the last 6 years and that might give you enough time to come up with options and file an extension ASAP.

Also, if willing to take a chance, she can use the 180 day rule to stay out of status, however I would strongly recommend against that since the consequences might affect any current or future GC petition..

Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future

Extension of H1B beyond six year, is possible only if any employment based greeen card applications (like Labor Certification and 140) is pending or approved. As your mom is not having any Employment based GC applications pending, she can't apply H1B extension beyond six years. The best advise is leave the country before expiry of I-94 and enter thro CP based on I-130; Dont count on 180 day period. If she want to stay in US to file AOS based on I-130, she has to find a way to change of other non-immigrant status like student etc..

(to check your luck, apply H1B extension with a request that I-130 was already approved and PD is very close to become current and request to grant an extension for an year based on current family situation and to avoid leaving the country.USCIS may buy this request and but not gurenteed.. Any way consult a good lawyer for other options)

Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of

The Family GC option is only available to unmarried children. Now I do not know how this applies to your mother, but even if she can change her status to something else, it may impact your status assuming you are in the US now.

Anyway, it appears we have hardly any details of your case. Best to consult an attorney.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

I don't think your mom should overstay the visa - not a good idea at all.

Try to see if she spent time outside the US when she was on H-1B. For example, she may have taken a few weeks off each year to visit her home country - you can recapture that time.

BUT, as kaiser mentioned, not sure how your grandfather applied for your mother in the first preference category. Double check that. As someone else mentioned, the dates in the family preference move very slowly.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions