Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
ganguteli
Default Desi consulting exposed: nice article

http://sonyvellayani.blogspot.com/20...onsultant.html

Every other week when I come back home from work my wife used to ask me something like this-

“You know what. This girl who has just 3year degree from India and on H4 visa here is going to apply for H1B through a desi consultant. Can I also try?”

The desi consultants want my wife who has zero knowledge in IT field to say “Yes” so that they can file H1B visa for her. This sums up how desi consultants work in US and why the 65,000 limit for H1B visa got over in a day.

I fully know that there are a lot of good desi consultants out there. But recently so many have mushroomed that they are just just looking out for a “living human body” so that they can file H1B on his/her behalf. Only thing that human body should have is that he should be able to give them around $4000. Rest will be taken care by the consultant. The desi consultant would make a fake resume with tons of experience loaded into it in which you wont even know a word other than your own name and fool the immigration system in US and file for your H1B visa.

By US law it is illegal for the employer (desi consultant) to make employee pay for the H1B Visa expenses. But for desi consultants they have their own law. The way the desi consultant works reminds me the agents who work to recruit laborers to Middle East. They are fooling the educated people and the sad part is that educated people fall into this trap due to their greediness for earning dollars.

Two weeks back I got a call from one of my good friend who is working in India. He was approached by a desi consultancy with a promise of $400/hour salary, 1 month paid time off to go to India but he has to pay 2 lakhs immediately to process his H1B visa. He was so excited about this offer and was talking to me about the money he will earn in a year after he comes to the US. He called me because he didn’t have money to pay the consultant (consultant asked him to pay very next day) and he wanted to borrow money from me. When I heard about the offer, I knew something was fishy. I asked him the name of the consultancy and I just googled it. All the links were that it is a fraud company and the agent of the consultant just disappears once you give the money. They won’t file the H1B papers properly and if immigration people ask for more documents they won’t provide. There is no clause to get back the money in case the visa is rejected and lot of people have lost money. If at all you come here they won’t help you to get any job. If you get it they take a big chunk of that money. He went through the links I sent to him and he decided not to apply. Because of my advice his application was not among the 133,000 received on the first day for H1 B Visa.

To be in H1 B Visa you need to be in payroll. I know one consultant who issues pay check to those people who are in “bench”. Once they get the paycheck they have to cash it and give the cash back to consultant. Again after 2 weeks he will use that same money to pay them. See how desi consultants misuse the law.

If a desi consultant calls you or you call a desi consultant, within the first 5 minutes he will ask you this question “How old are you?” Why? The older you are the more experience they can show in the fake resume they prepare. My wife is 25 years old and many desi consultants are ready to hire her. When we told them that she doesn’t have any experience in the IT field this is what one of the consultant told us ”Any year you lived after the age of 18 can be converted to relevant experience by making a fake resume. So to apply for H1B you need to be only 23 years. Any one above 23 years can easily get a H1B visa”. For those consultants no educational qualification would matter other than your age.

What is the net result of all these fraud practices by desi consultants? The genuine talented people who deserve to get H1B visa suffer.

Having taken 1 degree in India and another in US (about to finish another in a month), I know the difficulty and pain of getting a degree in US compared to India. When one graduates from a US university he would know the latest technologies in their field unlike in India where you study an outdated syllabus (of course institutions like IITs are an exception). With all the hard work they put in, if a situation arises that you can no longer work in US, because of deceptive tactics of money hungry desi consultants, it is very sad.

I could understand the pain; anguish and agony of hundreds of graduates from US universities who have applied for H1B visa this year and are now praying that they get through the lottery system. If I haven’t applied last year I could have been one among them after 6 years of hard work waiting for my luck to fetch me a job.

Compare this. My friend who has just finished his MS in Computer Science with a good GPA failing to get H1B while a person who has just 3 years bachelors degree in something from India getting H1B visa as a software professional showing 8 years of fake experience. The person who really studied that subject is out and who fooled the system is in. Such a thing should never happen. The fact that such a thing is happening shows that there is something terribly wrong with the system.

Desi consultants are insulting the system. They should be made to obey the law of the land. Let us spread the word among our friends, relatives and others we know about the evil practices of those consultants so that they wont get any more “living human bodies”. Let us expose them.

“If we don’t act now this menace called desi consultants will grow into a big mafia powerful enough to suck the blood of genuine employment seekers in the US”
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
ganguteli

http://sonyvellayani.blogspot.com/20...of-hidden.html

Ever since I wrote the post “Evil Called Desi Consultants”, I get lot of emails and comments in my blog asking me advice in identifying good consultants that sponsor HIB for jobs in USA. The main thing I have seen in those chats is that most people who apply for H1B visa from India are not aware of all the rules and various “traps” associated with this. This post is intended as a guideline for all those applying for H1B visa from India. First I would like to talk about 2 of my friends who were cheated in the whole H1B process last year.

This friend P was my colleague in a software company I worked in Chennai. He changed few companies since then – all in the hope that his new company will send him to his dream land – US. All his attempts to come to US through the company he was working failed. So he decided to apply for his H1B visa through a consultant. He was working in Chennai and he was talking to an agent of the consultant based in Hyderabad. The consultant offered him great deals ($80,000 per year, 1 year paid vacation and full pay on bench etc etc). For the consultant to file for his H1B, he had to pay 3 lakh Indian rupees (approximately $8000). He decided to file his H1B through this consultant. A representative of the consultant came over to Chennai and collected the money from him. There was no proof of the money transfer between my friend and the consultant. The consultant informed him that he has filed his H1B on April 1st. This year US Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) received almost double the number of H1B applications and they employed a lottery system to select 65,000 H1B visas.

One fine morning in July the agent of the consultant called and informed that he couldn’t make it through the lottery. The agent promised to pay him back the money as soon as he gets the money from the consultant back in US. This was the last he has heard from the consultant. My friend did all the talking over phone to the agent of the consultant and now that number is not working. He was royally cheated by some thug. He doesn’t even have any proof of the money he gave to the consultant. I still cannot believe how a person can give Rs. 3,00,000 to some one without any proof. Maybe he was thinking about the dollars he is going to earn once he lands in the US and made him lose his common sense.

This is about another of my friend S. We stayed in the same mansion in Chennai. He was working in a good software company in Chennai with a good pay even when I was in India 6 years back. He was not that interested in coming to US. I believe his wife and he could be earning around Rs 80,000 to Rs 1,00,000 per month in India and he was very happy with that. With that salary you can lead a royal life in India. But his problem in his own words “however good you are in your work, if you don’t have an US experience you don’t command respect from colleagues and you are constantly looked down in a group that has people who have work experience in US”.

So to command respect from his colleagues my friend started looking out for consultants that can apply for his H1B visa. He landed with a consultant and he ended up paying around Rs. 2,00,000 to process his H1B visa. He was lucky to get through the lottery and he was very happy about it. So far so good. This September end he went to US consulate in Chennai for visa stamping. He got a 221g from the Consulate asking him to produce the end client letter. He got in touch with the consultant for the new document, they told him that they are just a start up company, they don’t have a client now and it is tough to get such a letter. He is kind of resigned to the fact that he cannot go for visa stamping with this consultant and asked them to pay back the money he gave them for H1B filing. They told that USCIS has already taken the money and they cannot return the money.

For my friend P he lost his money and visa while the friend S just lost the money. My understanding is that friend S can still transfer his H1B to a different consultant and go for a visa stamping. I am sure these stories are not isolated ones. Software engineers in India trying to come to the US may have hundreds of stories like this to tell.

DO’s and DON’T’s

I am a firm believer that these kind of “traps” can be avoided if one uses ones common sense and does some research before paying the money. Most of them who apply for H1B visas from India get carried away by the lucrative prospects the consultant tells them prior to applying for H1B visa and get money from them. The applicants thus blindfolded, believe the consultants and fall into their trap. Here are some pointers you can follow and thus avoid getting cheated.

Paying any consultant for your H1B is illegal by law. If a consultant asks for money to file for a H1B visa, understand one thing – they are in this business to make some quick bucks with zero investments. Bottom line – NEVER PAY A PENNY TO A CONSULTANT FOR H1B. If you pay and get a H1B at some point there is a good chance that it make come back and hurt you.
Before you select your consultant for filing H1B visa do some basic homework. The easiest way is to Google search and you may be able to find more about the consultant. You may be able to hit upon some positive or negative comments about the consultant. But when you do that beware of few things – Consultants may write good reviews of themselves and post it in the internet to fool a prospective employee. Also another thing, some shady consultants do change the name of the company often or some of the consultants may have more than one consultancy. When a consultant finds that his consultancy is blacklisted by the USCIS the easiest thing for him to do is to start another company with another name. So if the Google search returns no result or only a good result don’t think the consultant is good. This is just the first step. The consultant “may” be good.
Once you find out that the consultant “may” be good, the next step is to try and find out someone who has worked/working with that consultant. With the advancement in information technology it may not be tough to find someone who actually works for the consultant. If possible talk to them over phone. Try to avoid accepting offers from consultants who just started their business. Any permanent resident in US can start a consultancy and most of the times the thought of quick bucks make them do that. Lack of professionalism will be hallmark of such companies and try your best not to join such companies.
If the consultant who is going to hire you doesn’t care about your educational qualification, your experience etc and tells you that you are sure to get a well paying job and doesn’t conduct any interview before hiring you in their consultancy, then you are in for trouble. Those consultants just need “human bodies” and not your expertise.
Another thing I have noticed about people applying for H1B visa from India. They will tell “Let me first somehow land in US through some consultant and then once I am in US somehow I can manage something better”. This attitude makes them pay for the visa and file H1B with shady consultants. This way of thinking not only invites trouble for them but denies another genuine candidate who has a “real job” in hand, a visa.

Before taking all the pain in India to apply for H1B through these consultants just remember thing one – With the declining dollar value and increasing job opportunities in India is it worthwhile to land in the US with a visa sponsored by a shady consultant, sit on bench for a long period of time and struggle to get a job?

Last edited by ganguteli; 03-03-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bbct is a glorious beacon of light bbct is a glorious beacon of light bbct is a glorious beacon of light bbct is a glorious beacon of light bbct is a glorious beacon of light

Both are 2007 articles.
1st - Saturday, April 07, 2007
2nd - Sunday, October 28, 2007

Things have not changed since.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute

Someone needs to put an ad in Times of India/Deccan Hearld/The hindu in the major Indian cities stating that "paying consultants for H1B is illegal and violates the law of the land that you are trying to get into"..

This may create some awareness among the techies that are cheated by these consultants.

-GCisaDawg

Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute

Why always blame the Desi consultants? As soon as a H1B holder gets GC or EAD, they start they own company and start applying for H1B's without any proper planning and knowledge. For that reason, we should point the finger at some these greedy employee's who once bashed the same employers.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
sumanitha can only hope to improve
Default http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090303/bs_bw/feb2009tc20090228990934

check this out..

Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many though

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser View Post
Why always blame the Desi consultants? As soon as a H1B holder gets GC or EAD, they start they own company and start applying for H1B's without any proper planning and knowledge. For that reason, we should point the finger at some these greedy employee's who once bashed the same employers.
Do yo know what percentage of "People Who get Greencrads start consuling companies".
This is racket that has caused this mess for ALL of us. I believe we should put together a list of ALL such "body shops" and send it ti USCIS, to investigae.
I can name a couple dozen off the top of my head. 99% of these are "IT" based companies, who bring ill-qualified people from "APtech" and "NIIT" in Hyderabad and other cities. What a shame.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Let us all promise to ourselves that we won't start another "Desi" consulting company once we get our GC.

Anybody ?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of
Default Consultants

Did any one hear "Grass is greener on the other side". That sums up why we pay consultants to come to US despite our internal voice says "run away". I am no way close to computer field and never visited US consulate except for F1 years ago. But, I feel sorry for all the people who had to go through these "leeches" (not all of them) to get to US.

It is no longer a dream land and hope people back in the country realizes ASAP. Reverse brain drain is happening and accelerating now.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

I think Eb3 persons may accept and keep the promise as it may take 15 years to get GC(Just I am kidding). If CIS will do couple of raids per year that will be enough to minimise the H1b abuse. Also if anyone come across H1b viloation or fake resumes that needs to be reported to DOL and CIS. We can identify them easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post
Let us all promise to ourselves that we won't start another "Desi" consulting company once we get our GC.

Anybody ?

Last edited by senthil1; 03-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
sumanitha can only hope to improve
Default First get GC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post

Anybody ?
First get your GC.. then think about these things...

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanitha View Post
First get your GC.. then think about these things...
Maybe we won't have enough energy to think/promise by the time we get our GC.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Microsoft reply on H1b issue

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-10187077-60.html

Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
avi_ny will become famous soon enough avi_ny will become famous soon enough
Default There are lot of bad things happening around you...

For example...
1) A lot of illegal immigrants who cross borders and work illegal in US, the power-hungry politicians for the sake of votes make them legal and give them greencards not in thousands but in millions and its happening every 5-6 years, I have seen it twice already. People like us who are paying taxes for almost 8+ years are still waiting to get our GC.
2) We are paying our social security dues on H1b and if we go back to our country US government will not give our social security money back. Indian govt try their best to come to an agreement to get h1b employs their social security benefits from US govt, but no results. You know why, this is one of the largest illegal money collections to US govt, and news papers call it a day-time robbery by US govt... and most of these cheap politicians walk away by saying that they are only responsible for their citizens first and who cares about foreigners, they are not going to vote.
3) Women who get married to h1b visa holder and are on h4 visa can not work, I simply thinks its a human rights violation for these women. Now someone may say that these women knew what they are getting into.. I seriously doubt if even 10% of these woment knew about what is h4 when they got married. But some one got a chance to complain about Desi consulting company who did not follow law and try to apply h1b for some house wife. Why, because he has a masters from some fancy US university..
I can count a lot of bad things happening but what for...
Bad things happened all the time, its a practical world, people will keep looking for opportunity, some time they may take shortcuts, its just part of real world.

One thing that is important is look for opportunities and keep moving on ...
And stop whining..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganguteli View Post
http://sonyvellayani.blogspot.com/20...of-hidden.html

Ever since I wrote the post “Evil Called Desi Consultants”, I get lot of emails and comments ...........

Last edited by avi_ny; 03-03-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/25/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute NELLAIKUMAR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security - Eligibility Criteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_ny View Post
2) We are paying our social security dues on H1b and if we go back to our country US government will not give our social security money back. Indian govt try their best to come to an agreement to get h1b employs their social security benefits from US govt, but no results. You know why, this is one of the largest illegal money collections to US govt, and news papers call it a day-time robbery by US govt... and most of these cheap politicians walk away by saying that they are only responsible for their citizens first and who cares about foreigners, they are not going to vote.
This is not true. If you earn 40 points by working in US for at least 10 years, you will become eligible for receiving social security benefits when you reach retirement age ( I think 65 or 67)