Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts potatoeater is infamous around these parts
Default Valid H1B visa holders being turned back at POE? How true is that?

Guys,

I need to travel out of US to get a new stamp for my recently approved H1B extension. However, of late I am hearing many horror stories which are giving me goose bumps. Apparently people having fully valid H1B stamps are being turned back from POE. The reason apparently being given is that US is not taking in any more foreign workers while so many americans are without jobs.

Is there any grain of truth in these stories, or is it just baseless rumor? I mean, why should immigration authorities object if the person has already obtained the visa stamp and company requires the person at work?

Has anybody else have heard these stories? Or is it another scare tactic of the anti immigrant league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Would you like to tell this story to the media.
All others who have had bad experiences at POE can write their experience in detail with their name, email and phone number and send to info at immigrationvoice.org

Unless this issue takes headlines in the media, it will be buried on the forums and the problem will not be fixed. Let us fix it.

If you see posts on other forums about this, ask them to contact IV.

Last edited by pappu; 04-06-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gauravsh will become famous soon enough

I am not sure but I talked to my lawyer regarding this as I am going to india and will be coming back in april. My H1 is getting expired in june.

She said, dont worry just carry couple of your recent pay stubs and a letter from your employer that you will be joining the duty back.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default mytoday's exp at EWR POE

hello guys

I was returing after 3 weeks vacation from india and i went for stamping at new delhi adn got 3 years h1b ( this is my first h1b ext ). At POE officer was rude and he told me that he knew that I am not working as what my docs says. I gave him all letters and all that still he was saying that where did i get computer traning ??? etc.. I told that I have MS in Com Scie from USA but still he was rude and even I had valid stamp for 3 years he gave me only 2 years of I 94. when I asked how to get that one more year he simply said exit and re enter OR talk to ACS ( may be he means USCIS )..

so it could be true taht people may be turned back at POE.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gauravsh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_on_demand View Post
hello guys

I was returing after 3 weeks vacation from india and i went for stamping at new delhi adn got 3 years h1b ( this is my first h1b ext ). At POE officer was rude and he told me that he knew that I am not working as what my docs says. I gave him all letters and all that still he was saying that where did i get computer traning ??? etc.. I told that I have MS in Com Scie from USA but still he was rude and even I had valid stamp for 3 years he gave me only 2 years of I 94. when I asked how to get that one more year he simply said exit and re enter OR talk to ACS ( may be he means USCIS )..

Actually, he should have you I-94 for full 3 years. Is your passport valid for 3 years?

Its bad experiance really!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
coolpal is a splendid one to behold coolpal is a splendid one to behold coolpal is a splendid one to behold coolpal is a splendid one to behold coolpal is a splendid one to behold coolpal is a splendid one to behold

EWR probably has the worst or most rude IOs... I have known a couple of my friends who met a rude IO and gave them a hard time asking for all sort of docs and still needing some more... I myself had a very bad experience back in Oct 2007, the IO I had to deal with was rude and making sarcastic comments.. he was acting as if I am total idiot and completely at his mercy... He just found a missing zero from my visa stamp compared to my h1b approval notice, and insists I paid someone in Mexico to get my stamp (I went to matamoras for stamping). I took along vacation letters from my employer and the client manager back in 2007, and yet he just seemed to have some problem with me.

I would try my best not to use EWR for international travel again... despite me living and working less than 30 mins from that airpot... I would rather fly from JFK.

pal

Last edited by coolpal; 03-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_on_demand View Post
hello guys

Thats nasty. Is there a possibility for you to complain and fix this? Why should he give you a hard time when you have done nothing wrong?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpal View Post
EWR probably has the worst or most rude IOs... I have known a couple of my friends who met a rude IO and gave them a hard time asking for all sort of docs and still needing some more... I myself had a very bad experience back in Oct 2007, the IO I had to deal with was rude and making sarcastic comments.. he was acting as if I am total idiot and completely at his mercy... He just found a missing zero from my visa stamp compared to my h1b approval notice, and insists I paid someone in Mexico to get my stamp (I went to matamoras for stamping). I took along vacation letters from my employer and the client manager back in 2007, and yet he just seemed to have some problem with me.

I would try my best not to use EWR for international travel again... despite me living and working less than 30 mins from that airpot... I would rather fly from JFK.

pal

Well, is that a solution? What if they start doing it at JFK? What if they do it in Atlanta, Dallas, LA, SFO everywhere, what if they do it in Mumbai (just for the heck of it), what if they do it in all the airports? Will you travel by ship? What if they do it in ship?

We must use whatever airport that is convinient to us. If you have done nothing wrong, no need to be a coward.

Everyone must write their experiences and petition and let their politicians know. People must gather here and do something about it.

Believe me folks, if we keep avoiding just out of fear - we cannot achieve anything.

Stay bold - do something about it. IV is a wonderful platform for all of us to help ourselves. So lets make best use of it

Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Folks especially on h1b - please carry all your docs. Get an employment letter from client, carry paystubs, old w2s etc..

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default I should get details

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
Thats nasty. Is there a possibility for you to complain and fix this? Why should he give you a hard time when you have done nothing wrong?
I was thinking to complain while interview but when I got my passport and I 797 back I was so relaxed so forgot to note his name.. next thought was never go out of USA..

Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
Well, is that a solution? What if they start doing it at JFK? What if they do it in Atlanta, Dallas, LA, SFO everywhere, what if they do it in Mumbai (just for the heck of it), what if they do it in all the airports? Will you travel by ship? What if they do it in ship?

We must use whatever airport that is convinient to us. If you have done nothing wrong, no need to be a coward.

Everyone must write their experiences and petition and let their politicians know. People must gather here and do something about it.

Believe me folks, if we keep avoiding just out of fear - we cannot achieve anything.

Stay bold - do something about it. IV is a wonderful platform for all of us to help ourselves. So lets make best use of it

I had another BAD experience while stamping. VFS emailed me that my 2 kids ( 4 months and 3 years ) kids cannot enter consulate while me and my wife go for h1b / h4. and main thing is they are US citizen .. I replied that and still got same answer. BUT on day of interview we kept our kids with us and we were given 1 st priority in line. Even when VO asked about kids immigration status and their status next thing was UR VISA HAS BEEN GRANTED. I complained against VFS and got call back from consulate within 24 hrs and they promised to take action against person who relied that US citizen cannot enter consulate.

we must speak up .

Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough

I traveled last month on AP. Absolutely no issues. Very nice IO at POE at EWR airport.
I could see many folks in H1 and AP. Everyone was being stamped pretty fast in various queues around me.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2004
Compare
GreenCardLegion is infamous around these parts GreenCardLegion is infamous around these parts

The news that you heard about people being sent back from POE is not completely verifiable. However there is no cause of alarm at all. As I have heard a lot of my friends and their contacts easily getting through the POE immigration on H1B, AP and even L1. So dont worry.

I heard that a total of 8-9 people from TCS got sent back from POE at LA or someplace dont know exactly which POE. But they were all L1 and when asked about their client instead of saying TCS they it seems said "AIG", "JP MorganChase" etc. etc. so they were sent back. Atleast thats the story I gather from one of my friend. Dont know how much it is true or not. But definitely not heard any H1B sent back at POE thus far. Unless that H1B was from a previous company and the person had joined another company but was trying to use the old H1B stamp from older company.

I myself came in through EWR in November and all was perfect. In fact me and the POE were so cool and talking to each other we even were talking to each other about how hot a few girls were in front of my line. One of the coolest POEs I have ever come across. I came in on H1B without any issues and IO gave me 3 yr I-94 whereas my wife came in via AP and she got the AOS Parolee I-94 for one year. No questions asked, no documents asked and no paystubs or nothing asked. Not even where do you work and which company.
It was a breeze.

So dont worry and carry on with your regular travel plans but make sure to carry every single document incl. paychecks just in case.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future americandesi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCardLegion View Post
Unless that H1B was from a previous company and the person had joined another company but was trying to use the old H1B stamp from older company.
It's perfectly legal to show the unexpired H1B stamp from old employer along with I-797 from new employer to gain entry into US.

In such cases the IO is supposed to give the I-94 reflecting the end date mentioned in I-797 from new employer. This has been clarified by Murthy many times.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandesi View Post
It's perfectly legal to show the unexpired H1B stamp from old employer along with I-797 from new employer to gain entry into US.

In such cases the IO is supposed to give the I-94 reflecting the end date mentioned in I-797 from new employer. This has been clarified by Murthy many times.
AmericanDesi is correct. Same thing holds for H-4 visa as well.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snakesrocks will become famous soon enough
Default I used Philadelphia and was OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdtm View Post
I traveled last month on AP. Absolutely no issues. Very nice IO at POE at EWR airport.
I could see many folks in H1 and AP. Everyone was being stamped pretty fast in various queues around me.
I came back first week of Feb through Philadelphia on H1B. I was asked to go to secondary inspection. Waited for 5 minutes and the lady officer asked me where I work and stamped my passport and let me in. No issues.