Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
utsavsaxena is on a distinguished road
Default Bringing person from India for senior care

Hello all, I was wondering if there are any avenues to bring an in-home senior caregiver for my elderly grandparents from India. They are very old and physically disabled, and have 24/7 coverage currently in their home in India, but we have taken the decision for their mental health's sake that they need to be around their loved ones in their final years. Wherever I ask around, it seems like in-home care costs around $25/hr. This is impossible to replicate in the US at a 24/7 scale or even at a 12/7 scale this comes out to $300/day. At a minimum we could possibly go for a 3 hour coverage daily which would include diaper changes and bathing, but this still leaves a big hole in coverage in terms of who will be at home while we are out to work? So at the 3/7 level which is still going to cost upwards of $2000/month, we're staring at a much more subpar level of care compared to what they receive in India (I believe in India this is costing in usd about $450/month). Not to mention English language fluency issues for my grandparents.

I've been contacting various websites like greataupair and such and they have informed me that while it is possible to bring a babysitter from abroad to the US, it is not allowed to bring an elder caregiver.

I am willing to dish out $2000/month but I would want the level of care as in India for them in that case. The caregiver in India also does some very culturally specific things as well like preparing diabetic friendly Bengali meals for my grandparents (which I suppose i could do myself but i''m just brainstorming regarding how I cannot find a qualified service provider here in the US and would need to bring someone from India), even sings and recites Tagore poetry etc with them. So any visa regime could cover such a caregiver from India to come live with us once my grandparents are set to immigrate later this year?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavsaxena View Post
Hello all, I was wondering if there are any avenues to bring an in-home senior caregiver for my elderly grandparents from India. They are very old and physically disabled, and have 24/7 coverage currently in their home in India, but we have taken the decision for their mental health's sake that they need to be around their loved ones in their final years. Wherever I ask around, it seems like in-home care costs around $25/hr. This is impossible to replicate in the US at a 24/7 scale or even at a 12/7 scale this comes out to $300/day. At a minimum we could possibly go for a 3 hour coverage daily which would include diaper changes and bathing, but this still leaves a big hole in coverage in terms of who will be at home while we are out to work? So at the 3/7 level which is still going to cost upwards of $2000/month, we're staring at a much more subpar level of care compared to what they receive in India (I believe in India this is costing in usd about $450/month). Not to mention English language fluency issues for my grandparents.

I've been contacting various websites like greataupair and such and they have informed me that while it is possible to bring a babysitter from abroad to the US, it is not allowed to bring an elder caregiver.

I am willing to dish out $2000/month but I would want the level of care as in India for them in that case. The caregiver in India also does some very culturally specific things as well like preparing diabetic friendly Bengali meals for my grandparents (which I suppose i could do myself but i''m just brainstorming regarding how I cannot find a qualified service provider here in the US and would need to bring someone from India), even sings and recites Tagore poetry etc with them. So any visa regime could cover such a caregiver from India to come live with us once my grandparents are set to immigrate later this year?
You will be violating labor laws (and immigration laws) of this country!

Old 01-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Really? So if a need exists and a qualified caregiver is not available for hire, I cannot hire someone from abroad? I'm not looking to violate any laws be it immigration or labor, hence my original post. I'm certain from my online research that these in-home caregivers don't make >20k/year although the agencies may charge $25/hr. I understand the issue between agency vs individual contract, in that if the caregiver needs a break, it is up to me the employer to find the stop gap replacement while agencies are bound by contract to backfill individual caregiver absences. In fact plenty of ads are already there from local American caregivers on legitimate aupairing websites that work independent of agencies and will do the work for the aforementioned salaries. If push comes to shove, I'll end up having to take that route, but my thing is if I'm going to dish out that sort of money, can I get someone more culturally familiar for my grandparents? I doubt I'll find any Bengali speaking people within the US that are in these professions. Maybe in New York City, the part of the country where we live in, the caregivers are English only or English/Spanish and even Spanish only. More chances of finding Tagalog speakers.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
buffbloke is infamous around these parts buffbloke is infamous around these parts

Its not like qualified people are not available. Its just that you can't afford them.
If you bring someone from India, you will need to take care
1. Paid leave
2. Social security and other employer taxes
3. Offer medical coverage
4. Determine who will provide service when this caregiver is resting or taking time off. You cannot expect a single person to be constantly on call 24/7. What if the caregiver becomes sick? Who will take care of her ?

By law, she should be paid at least a minimum wage for every minute she is expected to be of assistance. If she is expected to work 8 hours a day at a minimum wage that equals 21k a year. Paying anything less for any more time is illegal even if you pay for food and boarding.
Be careful, you are trading very murky waters. Always stay in the right side of the law.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbloke View Post
Its not like qualified people are not available. Its just that you can't afford them.
If you bring someone from India, you will need to take care
1. Paid leave
2. Social security and other employer taxes
3. Offer medical coverage
4. Determine who will provide service when this caregiver is resting or taking time off. You cannot expect a single person to be constantly on call 24/7. What if the caregiver becomes sick? Who will take care of her ?

By law, she should be paid at least a minimum wage for every minute she is expected to be of assistance. If she is expected to work 8 hours a day at a minimum wage that equals 21k a year. Paying anything less for any more time is illegal even if you pay for food and boarding.
Be careful, you are trading very murky waters. Always stay in the right side of the law.
Thing is, I can afford non-agency related independent caregivers legitimately but I'd rather dish out $30k annually along with all the logistical/legal/tax issues covered for the Indian caregiver than give out $25k for all the same care minus language fluency and cultural familiarity.
While caregiver is sick or on vacation, we will avail of the local services.

I'm not certain why this question is coming across as treading in murky waters. Not looking to slave drive anyone at all. Please if there exist any Indian Bengali or Bangladeshi American caregivers available in Arizona, send them my way. I currently live in D.C. with a massive Bengali speaking population and I doubt I would find people that have come this far from our cultural background to clean adult diapers in the US. I mentioned this earlier, our community is largely white collar, particularly in the smaller more remote parts of this country. If we were Latinos or Filipinos, the question of hiring from abroad would not arise.

Is this a forum to get informed help for immigration issues or is this a slugfest of passing uninformed moral judgments? Do I need to spell out my entire family history or can someone just answer my question about employing a senior caregiver from abroad legitimately and within the purview of US law? Are senior citizens in the US that cannot afford $20k/month sitting in their shit till they develop an infection and have to go to the ER?

Old 01-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Spoke to an immigration lawyer today regarding the options available. Seems like the programs that existed were closed down due to the exploitative tendencies. Oh well.