Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ankit is on a distinguished road
Default H1 Status and long term disability

Hello,

Today I was diagnosed with rare form of cancer which will require 6+ Month of in-patient treatment (Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) for the curious minds). My question is can I take leave of absence or should I apply for different catagory of visa? If I have to quit, will my insurance company still cover me?

Any guidance will be greately appriciated
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold 21stIcon is a splendid one to behold
Default based on your employment benefits!

I am sorry to hear this; this is most difficult situation to handle.

You can get long term and continued health coverage benefits based on your company HR benefits.

No discriminations for resident align on long term disability but you need to talk to your provider to file a claim.

COBRA medical plan which will continue your existing medical plan for a year or year and half but you have to pay insurance premium.

Talk to your company HR to get more detail!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Im not an expert in this, but my opinion for you is to stay put in the company. The company health insurance will pay for your expenses and you can take long leave of absence with full pay. Stay on their payroll. If you leave the company, your own private insurance will be too much to afford. So don't quit and fight it out. Best wishes for an early recovery.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future
Default I agree with Pappu

You can stay with your present company. The insurance company will pay for medical expenses (if there is no exclusion clause for your condition) and your company would also have Long Term Disability Insurance. This kind of insurance usually pays 80% - 100% of your pay during your illness. You will continue to be employed by your company (they cannot fire you for the sole reason of your medical condition) and your H1B status will be valid.

Good luck and wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
babuworld has a spectacular aura about babuworld has a spectacular aura about
Default get well soon

Ankit,

Sorry to hear . i will pray god for your speady recovery. Hope everything will be fine. Everything will be fine. This are difficult situations to handle. keep in touch with your HR. They take care of the your medical and other expenses.

Hope for speady recovery.
Spouse on h4.

Pledge: I am contributing $20 to IV from Dec 2006.
Total Contribution till date: $60

Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Compare
bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of

Ankit,

I am sorry to hear it. Best wishes as you make your decisions and I hope you get lots of support.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough

Insurance does not care about your H1 Status...so stay put in the co to avail the insurance benefits.

Ensure that H1 status is maintained....thats a separate issue that you have to fight out with HR.

In many cos after 3 months or 6 months of disability, it is automatic termination. That does not affect the Insurance converage, (you continue to get the pay on disability if that was in your insurance plan) but you are no longer considered in the job. For you it raises another layer of complication as termination will mean H1 willl not be extended (or may even be revoked in extreme case).

So you have to ensure that your H1 is maintained. How many days are left on your H1?

Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-12-2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12-15-2005
Compare
ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough ArunAntonio is a jewel in the rough
Default Stay Put

Ankit,
My good wishes and prayers are with you. I am sure things will get better.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2006
Chargeability
:
Malawi
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Compare
Mount Soche will become famous soon enough Mount Soche will become famous soon enough
Default Best wishes

Hi Ankit,
I don't have any advice for your H1 case but I absolutely wish you the best as you battle your illness. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute

Ankit,

Since you are going for in patient care, you can avail sick leave and some unpaid leave. The long term disability insurance will cover the living expenses as for Medical expenses since you will still be on the payroll it will all
be covered by medical insurance company.
Bottom line is stay with your current company. Also, remember you cannot be terminated becasue of this absence of leave that you will be taking for the treatment. This will let you keep the job as long as needed and provide you with medical insurance coverage as well. Inform your company in writing (email to HR/Manager/Director etc) as soon as possible so that you can use that as a written evidence (if needed). From that point on your job is pretty much secure for the duration of treatment as long as company is in business.

In my opinion sign up for pre-paid legal just in case you need to take more legal advice in the labor laws. Also, do not worry about visa (these are last things you should worry about) etc all you need is to be on payroll. I am sure your company will not make any attempt to put you out of payrolls as that will open them to a law suit that they will never win.

I hope for a speedy recovery for you. Our preyers are with you !!!

Last edited by Canadian_Dream; 03-15-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nfinity is a splendid one to behold nfinity is a splendid one to behold nfinity is a splendid one to behold nfinity is a splendid one to behold nfinity is a splendid one to behold nfinity is a splendid one to behold nfinity is a splendid one to behold
Default How about Social Security?

I am sorry to hear this and I wish you a speedy recovery. I also want to raise a question to any members who are aware of the laws of the land. Does social security disability cover this? Medicare / Medicaid? I know we all pay into the system. Shouldnt there be a way to benefit from it?

Get well soon!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute

Ankit,
Check the state disablity insurance policy for the state where you reside. The policy varies from state to state. Let us know the your state and we will dig on the internet and post relevant links. For California here is the link:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/direp/difaq.htm#Eligibility

Old 04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ankit is on a distinguished road

Guys,

It's curtains for me. my cancer is in blast stage and survival rate in this stage is 15% for 1 years so I am heading home.

I wanted to thank all of you for all the guidance and concerns you showed and I will also like to wish you good luck with your ongoing struggle.

So long

Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nivasch is on a distinguished road

Hi Ankit
I am sorry to hear this, I wish you a speedy recovery

Old 04-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of

Ankit:

I am very sorry to hear about your case. Please post any special needs that you have. I am sure one of us could help. Also if you mention your State, then the people in your State maybe able to help.

I am in Michigan, if there is any way I can be of help, please send a PM.

May Jesus heal you from this infirmity..