Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Non-Immigrant Visas (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/)
-   -   All H1B/H4 Stamping posts here (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/4192-all-h1b-h4-stamping-posts-here.html)

apk1928 04-20-2007 10:11 AM

Thanks alot.

npatel 04-21-2007 07:43 PM

I just got approval of my h1b. I am on OPT until June 30, 07 and then I will have 2 months of grace period.... Thus I will have to go out of US at sometimes during my grace period as my h1b starts from Oct 1.

Any suggestions?

If everything goes the way I have expected then I am planning to visit India sometimes in August/September so I was thinking to get my h1b stamped in Mumbai consulate... Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

zico123 04-22-2007 07:35 PM

npatel

I am in the same situation as you are in. I have grace period till July 31st. Thinking of doing GRE courses at Kaplan till Sept 1st and going to Kolkata in Sept.
- Can anyone give advice how the process is to getting H1 stamp - are there any complications?
- Are any difficult questions asked during stamping or any documents other than listed on New Delhi's website for State Dept.

npatel 04-23-2007 10:03 AM

H1B Visa Stamping in INDIA

My h1b has approved. I am on OPT until June 30, 07 and then I will have 2 months of grace period. It means I can legally stay in US up to 31st August.

Since there is no bridge provided between OPT and h1b, which starts from Oct 1, I will have to go out of US at sometimes during my grace period, i.e. before 31st August...

Any suggestions?

If everything goes the way I have expected then I am planning to visit India sometimes in August-September, so I was thinking to get my h1b stamped in Mumbai consulate... Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

sanojkumar 04-23-2007 10:18 AM

H1B Visa Stamping in INDIA

why are you so worried. every year hundreds and thousands are coming over here by stampping visa abroad. Your's is not a new case? So be happy!

npatel 04-23-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanojkumar
why are you so worried. every year hundreds and thousands are coming over here by stampping visa abroad. Your's is not a new case? So be happy!

Thanks SANOJ.... But my case is very unique...

I came to US in June 2001 on B1 (visitor) then
I had change of status to F1 as I decided to study here instead india then
I had my OPT after my graduation then
My H1b has been approved....

I never been to India for my F1 stamping as I took summer and winter classes to finish my courses ASAP... I am worried to go for stamping just because I did not go for my F1b stamping and dont know the procedure...

I mean I could take KAPLAN courses to bridge the gap between OPT and H1b as I really dont want to visit India now. However, for some reason I will have to be in India in August...

Any suggestions will be appriciated... Thanks...

mirchiseth 04-23-2007 07:15 PM

All H1B/H4 Stamping posts here

I know this question doesn't belong here but couldn't think of a better group to pose this question. So please bear with me.

I am planning to travel to Puerto Rico for vacations. I am on my 8 year extension and have a valid I-94 till 2010. Visa stamp on my passport expired last year.

My questions are

1. Do I need a visa to travel to Puerto Rico? From what I have read on the web it seems I don't. But still want to confirm.

2. While getting back to US from Puerto Rico, would I have to go thru immigration? Or it is considered the same as coming back from any other US state.

Thanks for the help..

MirchSeth

logiclife 04-23-2007 07:22 PM

I saw on a cruise ad

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirchiseth
I know this question doesn't belong here but couldn't think of a better group to pose this question. So please bear with me.

I am planning to travel to Puerto Rico for vacations. I am on my 8 year extension and have a valid I-94 till 2010. Visa stamp on my passport expired last year.

My questions are

1. Do I need a visa to travel to Puerto Rico? From what I have read on the web it seems I don't. But still want to confirm.

2. While getting back to US from Puerto Rico, would I have to go thru immigration? Or it is considered the same as coming back from any other US state.

Thanks for the help..

MirchSeth

You dont need passport to go to Puerto Rico.

If you dont need passport, I guess you can just leave your passport home and go. But ask an immigration lawyer first or call the State Department or USCIS help line to ask and confirm.
If you can go to Puerto Rico without a passport, then I am sure that absence of stamp should be fine and your driver's license will work everywhere.

adiboss007 04-23-2007 07:43 PM

No Passport ONLY for U.S Citizens

Quote:

Originally Posted by logiclife
You dont need passport to go to Puerto Rico.

If you dont need passport, I guess you can just leave your passport home and go. But ask an immigration lawyer first or call the State Department or USCIS help line to ask and confirm.
If you can go to Puerto Rico without a passport, then I am sure that absence of stamp should be fine and your driver's license will work everywhere.

hmmm... i would check with the travel agent / attorney first.

i saw a television ad yesterday which said "no passport required for U.S citizens" . i don't know about non-U.S citizens.

check this : http://www.puertorico.com/travel-information/visas/

sanp 04-23-2007 07:57 PM

Pueto Rico

I have travelled to PuetoRico on H1B. But I had Valid Visa. On my way back to US , the immigration officer from PuetoRico airport asked me ask whether I was a citizen or not. Since I was not a citizen , I had to showed my valid visa stamp and I-94. but that was 3 years back. I dont know whether anything has changed since then . I will still recommend taking your passsport.

waitnhope 04-23-2007 08:33 PM

I travelled to PR in 2002-2003 for many times for work and had to produce valid visa on the passport each time while entering US.

gman 04-23-2007 08:49 PM

No visa is needed

I travelled to PR this January with my fiancee. None of us are US citizen. I am on H1B and had valid visa however they didn't check. I had my passport but I think I only showed my driver's licence. If you fly to PR from US you don't need to show anything. I don't think it's even considered international flight.

logiclife 04-23-2007 09:20 PM

Hey...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirchiseth

My questions are

Thanks for the help..

MirchSeth

Hey,

A suggestion, if you want to take a cruise, find out cruises that go from Florida and make a trip into the ocean and come back to Florida without stopping anywhere... or take a cruise to Alaska.

That way, you never need a passport or visa or anything.

Or even better, fly to Hawaii if you have never been there. The last thing you need during a vacation is thoughts about visas and stamping and paperwork, and that worry and thinking beats the whole purpose of vacation.

yabadaba 04-23-2007 09:33 PM

more info

Quote:

Originally Posted by logiclife
Hey,

A suggestion, if you want to take a cruise, find out cruises that go from Florida and make a trip into the ocean and come back to Florida without stopping anywhere... or take a cruise to Alaska.

That way, you never need a passport or visa or anything.

Or even better, fly to Hawaii if you have never been there. The last thing you need during a vacation is thoughts about visas and stamping and paperwork, and that worry and thinking beats the whole purpose of vacation.

logic most of the alaskan cruises stop at canadian ports..wouldnt we need passport/visas for that?

same thing with floridian cruises.. they stop at ports in the carribean.. if anyone knows of cruises that dont "leave the US" please let me know... it will be very useful info.

thx a ton

pop21 04-23-2007 09:42 PM

Travelling to Puerto Rico

We travelled to Puerto Rico from New York in 2003 and didn't need the
passport. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and thus travelling there is considered domestic travel. If you don't need a passport to travel there, then obviously you don't need a visa. As far as i remember, there was no immigration involved.