Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Non-Immigrant Visas (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/)
-   -   All H1B/H4 Stamping posts here (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/4192-all-h1b-h4-stamping-posts-here.html)

thakurrajiv 09-29-2006 08:20 AM

Canadian Visa needed for US visa stamping in canad

I got my 3 yrs H1 extension approved. I have appointment in Montreal on Oct 19th for US visa stamping.
My question is related to Canada visitor visa.
1. Do I and my wife physically need to go for canadian visitor visa ?
2. Can my friend submit our application and then collect the passport after visa stamp ?

3. I am planning to apply for multiple entry visa. Any ideas on the duration for which they will approve visa ?

I will really appreciate your experience sharing. Thanks in advance.

gc03 09-29-2006 08:24 AM

See this thread

http://www.immigrationportal.com/sho...page=108&pp=15

dan19 09-29-2006 10:06 AM

In person

You should apply in person.
There will be a short interview - basic questions like why you are going etc..

They most probably will not grant multiple entries. Single entry is approved for 6 months. But since you are going for H1 stamping, they will reduce the length of stay to a week at the port of entry.

One more thing to remember: In many cases, I have heard that the Embassy/Consulate asks for a letter from employer granting you leave to visit Canada for stamping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thakurrajiv
I got my 3 yrs H1 extension approved. I have appointment in Montreal on Oct 19th for US visa stamping.
My question is related to Canada visitor visa.
1. Do I and my wife physically need to go for canadian visitor visa ?
2. Can my friend submit our application and then collect the passport after visa stamp ?

3. I am planning to apply for multiple entry visa. Any ideas on the duration for which they will approve visa ?

I will really appreciate your experience sharing. Thanks in advance.

thakurrajiv 09-29-2006 10:32 AM

gc03 and dan19, thanks a lot for replies.

gc03 ..
I have been visiting that thread everyday. It mostly talks about US visa stamp in Canada. There is not much information about Canada Visa itself.

dan19
My wife is on H4. Do you know whether she also needs to go personally ?

abhishek101 09-29-2006 05:09 PM

You do not have to go to Canadian Consulate to get your visa. You can send it even by mail to get it approved. The only thing you must include in the documents are:
1. Visa appointment letter
2. Bank statement showing sufficient funds
3. Copy of latest 797.

The only caveat to above is you should not have applied for permanent residency of Canada.
Lst year I got my canadian visa through a company www.visanetwork.com. You can also do it by post the only problem is they do not gurantee the lost passport in post. You friend should get it easily for you.

You can easily get multiple entry visas, the fees is double the single entry.

H1B-GC 09-29-2006 05:48 PM

Hi-

i got an Appointment in Ottawa but do we need the new H1B approval copy(I-797) in order to get a canadian Visa? My Employer had applied for H1B renewal and waiting for its approval. i thought i could the canadian visa with the Old H1B copy that would expire in 2 months.

Thanks.

greenguru 09-29-2006 09:32 PM

I just mailed

Hi,
I just mailed all my documents to LA : Consulate general of Canada to get Canada visa. Here is the list of documents you need to post.

1. Completed “Application for a Temporary Resident Visa” (MM 5257)
* Can find and complete the application online at www.cic.gc.ca/english

2. □ Fee Payment $70.00
* Include name, address and passport # on the Check or Money Order
* Make check payable to Canadian Consulate General

3. □ Valid Passport
* Client must USPS express passport to assure arrival
* Client should make copies of every page in passport prior to sending it to Consulate

4. □ Approval Notice
* Client must USPS express or bring original Approval Notice for Consulate to review
* Must make a copy of Approval Notice for package prior to mailing or bringing

5. □ Employer Letter
* Client must USPS express an original Employer Letter
* Have client make 2 copies of letter and have both signed
* Follow same format as for the US Visa (provided in e-mail)

6. □ ‘2' Passport Photos
* In 2”x2” photo with white background, client must face forward and show ears

7. □ Proof of Financial Support
* Bank Statement, must show at least $100.00/day of stay in Canada

8. □ Valid Return Ticket
* Copy of travel itinerary with receipt OR copy of airline ticket

9. □ Proof of Employment in the US
* Copy of recent pay stubs

10. □ Proof of Residency or Temporary Residency in the US
* Copy of lease or rental agreement

11. □ Appointment Notice
* Appointment for US Visa interview in Canada

12. Return mail( Stamped )

bheemi 09-29-2006 11:57 PM

Hi thakurrajiva,
Yes you dont need to go in person fro canadian visa. But you need to send all original documents means your proof of status like i797(need to send in original). if you need more information u can send me private message or email.

Appointment online to Ottawa consulate.
Application for TRV visa from Detroit.
Tickets to Ottawa (flight)
Travel by car
Fees for Canada TRV visa: 70$ per person
Canada visa application :http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5257B.PDF
Additional Dependants form. http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...ppJune2002.pdf

A valid passport for each person.
Two passport-size photographs, see photographic specifications. http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...spec-tr-en.asp

Original I-94
Original I-797.
Applicants are requested to provide their most recent pay stubs.
Applicants should provide a letter from their employer confirming their current and ongoing employment.
To change/renew your status in the United States of America, please provide us with the U.S. Consulate interview/appointment letter.
Return Mail with Self-address envelope (Express or Courier).

Note:if you have questions u can always call canadian consulate and find out.They are very helpful.

I sent all above papers(originals wherever needed) on Friday and I kept return envelope as 2 day fedex and I got it in 3 days back with stamping.

bheemi 09-29-2006 11:57 PM

Tickets to ottowa or canada is not needed.

thakurrajiv 09-30-2006 10:32 PM

abhishek101, greenguru, bheemi

Thanks a bunch for very useful information.I have decided to apply through mail. I will post my experience after this process completes.

thakurrajiv 10-01-2006 01:39 PM

I got questions while I was filling forms. I will appreciate help on this.
I will be travelling with my wife and my kid. My wife is on H4 visa and kid is US citizen.
1. Should I mention my wife in the same application form as mine ?
If yes, what will be fees ( family fees is higher than combined individual fees ) ?
2. Do I need to mention my son ? As I understand he does not need any visa. I just need to carry his UP passport while travelling.

greenguru 10-02-2006 01:04 PM

Just mention your wife name. No need to mention your son name

I got my visa in 2 business days. They are very fast.

greenguru 10-02-2006 01:05 PM

about the fee. It is 70 for each ( total $140 ) if it is single entry

thakurrajiv 10-02-2006 09:34 PM

Greenguru,

Thanks a lot for reply. I mailed my documents today. I will post once I am through with this process.

thakurrajiv 10-13-2006 09:14 PM

Got Canadian Visa today

I got my passport back today. I have canadian visa now. I will be going to Montreal next Thursday.
List of docs I had sent :

1. Form MM 5257
--- mentined my wife's name in the same form
2. Multiple entry visa fee money order ( total $270 for me and my wife)
3.Original Passport
4. Original latest I-797 for H1 and H4 visa
5. Employment letter
6. 2 "2' by 2 '" photos
7.Bank statments
8. Visa stamping appointment letter
9. Copy of pay stubs
10. Copy of marriage certificate
11. Return mail( Stamped )

The consulate received my mail on Oct 3. They mailed the documents back on Oct 11. Somehow, they did not use my return mail envelope but they send it by certified mail. It took 3 days for the mail to reach us.
They have approved 2 yr multiple entry visa. Overall smooth experience. Thanks a lot for all the help.

vsoni 03-28-2007 11:14 AM

visa stamping in Halifax Canada.

Please share your experience visa stamping in Halifax Canada.

glus 04-10-2007 05:38 PM

Need advise-H1 stamping in Canada

Hi guys,
How do you go about this. I would appreciate your thaughts.
Person came to the US 7 years ago on B2. Changed to F1 and received his BS degree in the US, then changed to H1 (received a new I94). The person never left the US for the past 7 years and can show all the I20s while on F1 with no gaps. His I94 is valid until 1/2009. The person wants to go out to Canada for first-time H1 stamp. The person does not have a passport with a B2 visa on which she came as the passport expired and a new blank passport was issued in the US. The old passport is missing, but a copy of the B2 visa is available.

What are the chances of successful stamping in Canada? The person does not work for a consulting company. Please share your experiences/thaughts.

Thank You.

G

vxg 04-16-2007 01:27 PM

H-1 B stamping Name Check Delay

Folks,
I need some feedback from those unlucky ones who had faced delays in H-1 or H-4 stamping in India because the officer said that they are flagged for additioanal checks and a full fingerprinting is needed for FBI review.
My wife was stuck in 2004 for this at Delhi and got cleared in about 6 weeks. We are going back to India this year and she will need to get her H-1 B stamped (she has an approved H-1 Band she is working full time). We are concerned that she may get flagged again. Anyone who has been flagged once and than went again for stamping please share experience.

vxg 04-17-2007 11:55 AM

anyone any feedback

Folks anyone with feedback please respond.

Strive_Do IT 04-17-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek101
You do not have to go to Canadian Consulate to get your visa. You can send it even by mail to get it approved.
The only caveat to above is you should not have applied for permanent residency of Canada.

My question is If I want to go to Canada for H-1 Stamping, I should not have applied to Permanent Canada Residency? If I've applied for the Canadian Permanent Residency, I will not get the H-1 stamp approved/the visa to go to canada approved? My situation is I started filing for the Permanent Quebec Residency 2 years ago. So the Quebec Residency application is in process.
Thanks all

go_guy123 04-17-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek101

Wrong...rules of Canada are different from US.
Canada rules allows visitor entry if you show intent to leave Canada as per rules.

US rules are far stricter..intent not to ever immigrate/work etc.

I got Vsistor visa and wrote yes i have applied for PR Canada and sill got it
as i proved them i will come back to continue my existing job in us
though i do intend to immigrate to Canada.

rick_rajvanshi 04-17-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strive_Do IT
My question is If I want to go to Canada for H-1 Stamping, I should not have applied to Permanent Canada Residency? If I've applied for the Canadian Permanent Residency, I will not get the H-1 stamp approved/the visa to go to canada approved? My situation is I started filing for the Permanent Quebec Residency 2 years ago. So the Quebec Residency application is in process.
Thanks all

The two issues of H1 and Canadian residency are different and no have affect whatsoever on each other. You can keep getting H1 stamping in Canada even after you become Canadian Permanent residence. You can continue to stay in the US and travel back and forth as well. I have been doing it and so can you.

Yes , one caution :- once you get Canadian PR , you' ll have to start maintaining residence with in 3 years if not sooner - Once your 3 year window closes , you lose you PR status.

So go ahead and apply for H1 visa appointments with no hesitation in this regard.

go_guy123 04-17-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick_rajvanshi
Yes , one caution :- once you get Canadian PR , you' ll have to start maintaining residence with in 3 years if not sooner - Once your 3 year window closes , you lose you PR status.

Its actually 2 out of 5 years of physical presence in Canada unless one
spouse is Canadian Citizen.

Kozuru 04-18-2007 07:37 PM

Hi visa stamp at Tijuana

I'd like to ask for visa stamp at Tijuana. I have a new H1B visa which is not stamped on my passport yet. Passport has old visa stamped from my previous employer.

Can I go to Tijuana for stamping this?

baburob2 04-18-2007 07:46 PM

if you have not been out of status you could go. plz check Mexico us consulate's webpage for further instructions.

GCard_Dream 04-18-2007 08:08 PM

Has anyone been to Canada, specifically Ottawa, for H1-B stamping recently? If so, what is the process. I understand that you have to make an appointment in advance. Is there a web-based system for appointments or do you just have to call that 1-900-xxx-xxxx number?

vsoni 04-18-2007 08:24 PM

You will need a letter from employer describing your job duty, salary, hiring date and employer’s business. copy of I-129 and LCA.
All pervious H1 approvals. Current resume.
DS-156 online, DS-157
Check this out.
http://www.amcits.com/halifax.asp
I got my h1 stamping without any problem.

ricky 04-19-2007 07:36 AM

Visit this web site to make appointments - www.nvars.com

I had been to Ottawa - Canada for Visa stamping.

All details are available on their web site.

apk1928 04-20-2007 09:33 AM

Client letter for H1 stamping

I would like to get the client letter format for H1 stamping in India (Chennai). Could anyone send me the sample client letter ASAP. I have to give it to my client very soon.
Thanks in advance.

senthil 04-20-2007 10:04 AM

here we go - get it printed on coy letterhead- otherwise no value-add

This is to verify that Mr / Miss / Mrs. abc is working at my project at location since - yyyy/mm/dd. Mr abc is a (critical) member of our team and he/she performs la-bla -bla. he/she is visiting india during period of AAA - BBBB. he/she is ecpected to join the project after the visit. We look forward for his/her continued support upon his/her return starting yyyy/mm/dd. pl contact me for any questions / clarification. sincerely ......

apk1928 04-20-2007 10:11 AM

Thanks alot.

npatel 04-21-2007 07:43 PM

I just got approval of my h1b. I am on OPT until June 30, 07 and then I will have 2 months of grace period.... Thus I will have to go out of US at sometimes during my grace period as my h1b starts from Oct 1.

Any suggestions?

If everything goes the way I have expected then I am planning to visit India sometimes in August/September so I was thinking to get my h1b stamped in Mumbai consulate... Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

zico123 04-22-2007 07:35 PM

npatel

I am in the same situation as you are in. I have grace period till July 31st. Thinking of doing GRE courses at Kaplan till Sept 1st and going to Kolkata in Sept.
- Can anyone give advice how the process is to getting H1 stamp - are there any complications?
- Are any difficult questions asked during stamping or any documents other than listed on New Delhi's website for State Dept.

npatel 04-23-2007 10:03 AM

H1B Visa Stamping in INDIA

My h1b has approved. I am on OPT until June 30, 07 and then I will have 2 months of grace period. It means I can legally stay in US up to 31st August.

Since there is no bridge provided between OPT and h1b, which starts from Oct 1, I will have to go out of US at sometimes during my grace period, i.e. before 31st August...

Any suggestions?

If everything goes the way I have expected then I am planning to visit India sometimes in August-September, so I was thinking to get my h1b stamped in Mumbai consulate... Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

sanojkumar 04-23-2007 10:18 AM

H1B Visa Stamping in INDIA

why are you so worried. every year hundreds and thousands are coming over here by stampping visa abroad. Your's is not a new case? So be happy!

npatel 04-23-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanojkumar
why are you so worried. every year hundreds and thousands are coming over here by stampping visa abroad. Your's is not a new case? So be happy!

Thanks SANOJ.... But my case is very unique...

I came to US in June 2001 on B1 (visitor) then
I had change of status to F1 as I decided to study here instead india then
I had my OPT after my graduation then
My H1b has been approved....

I never been to India for my F1 stamping as I took summer and winter classes to finish my courses ASAP... I am worried to go for stamping just because I did not go for my F1b stamping and dont know the procedure...

I mean I could take KAPLAN courses to bridge the gap between OPT and H1b as I really dont want to visit India now. However, for some reason I will have to be in India in August...

Any suggestions will be appriciated... Thanks...

mirchiseth 04-23-2007 07:15 PM

All H1B/H4 Stamping posts here

I know this question doesn't belong here but couldn't think of a better group to pose this question. So please bear with me.

I am planning to travel to Puerto Rico for vacations. I am on my 8 year extension and have a valid I-94 till 2010. Visa stamp on my passport expired last year.

My questions are

1. Do I need a visa to travel to Puerto Rico? From what I have read on the web it seems I don't. But still want to confirm.

2. While getting back to US from Puerto Rico, would I have to go thru immigration? Or it is considered the same as coming back from any other US state.

Thanks for the help..

MirchSeth

logiclife 04-23-2007 07:22 PM

I saw on a cruise ad

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirchiseth
I know this question doesn't belong here but couldn't think of a better group to pose this question. So please bear with me.

I am planning to travel to Puerto Rico for vacations. I am on my 8 year extension and have a valid I-94 till 2010. Visa stamp on my passport expired last year.

My questions are

1. Do I need a visa to travel to Puerto Rico? From what I have read on the web it seems I don't. But still want to confirm.

2. While getting back to US from Puerto Rico, would I have to go thru immigration? Or it is considered the same as coming back from any other US state.

Thanks for the help..

MirchSeth

You dont need passport to go to Puerto Rico.

If you dont need passport, I guess you can just leave your passport home and go. But ask an immigration lawyer first or call the State Department or USCIS help line to ask and confirm.
If you can go to Puerto Rico without a passport, then I am sure that absence of stamp should be fine and your driver's license will work everywhere.

adiboss007 04-23-2007 07:43 PM

No Passport ONLY for U.S Citizens

Quote:

Originally Posted by logiclife
You dont need passport to go to Puerto Rico.

If you dont need passport, I guess you can just leave your passport home and go. But ask an immigration lawyer first or call the State Department or USCIS help line to ask and confirm.
If you can go to Puerto Rico without a passport, then I am sure that absence of stamp should be fine and your driver's license will work everywhere.

hmmm... i would check with the travel agent / attorney first.

i saw a television ad yesterday which said "no passport required for U.S citizens" . i don't know about non-U.S citizens.

check this : http://www.puertorico.com/travel-information/visas/

sanp 04-23-2007 07:57 PM

Pueto Rico

I have travelled to PuetoRico on H1B. But I had Valid Visa. On my way back to US , the immigration officer from PuetoRico airport asked me ask whether I was a citizen or not. Since I was not a citizen , I had to showed my valid visa stamp and I-94. but that was 3 years back. I dont know whether anything has changed since then . I will still recommend taking your passsport.