Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajesh007 is on a distinguished road
Default NJ License Renewal Issues

Hi Kumarnj/prashu183,

Can you advise what happened to your license renewal case?
The same thing happened to me today and i want to know what happened to you guys
and did everything turn out well eventually?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kiran_r is on a distinguished road

I forgot to renew my driver's license when it expired and travelled to India on AP. On my way back, the immigration officer saw that and made some entries in the computer. Currently I am up for renewal of my EAD and AP. Will that effect my chances of renewal?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_r View Post
I forgot to renew my driver's license when it expired and travelled to India on AP. On my way back, the immigration officer saw that and made some entries in the computer. Currently I am up for renewal of my EAD and AP. Will that effect my chances of renewal?
Why / How did driver license come into picture with an IO?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold fall1998 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall1998 View Post
Forgot to mention, no, driver's license has absolutely no bearing on your EAD / AP / I-485 etc.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kiran_r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall1998 View Post
He asked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall1998
Forgot to mention, no, driver's license has absolutely no bearing on your EAD / AP / I-485 etc.
Thanks fall1998

Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
just_curios is on a distinguished road
Default North Carolina - Driving License - H4

Does anybody know the current procedure for taking driving license in Raleigh, North Carolina for H4? do they ask for SSN denial letter?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
just_curios is on a distinguished road

also do we need valid VISA?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennessee Driver License Renewal Issue

Tennessee runs ahead of all states with the honor of terrifying non-immigratants for the past 8 years, now implemented the new system of verification.

If your current USCIS document expires on SEP-14, they issue license up to SEP-14.

When you receive new USCIS document that starts from SEP-15 to 2/3 years, you are not eligible to renew your license before SEP-15

* SEP-15 falls on a Saturday or long weekend, you can not drive until DMV opens.
* Someone should drive you to the DMV to renew your license (because on that day your license has already expired).
* No guarantee that it will be renewed after that date. Because the 'verification' system should authorize the document's expiration date.
* DMV inspectors are not authorized to approve license any more.
* The verification system DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the document until the validity begins.
* If you don't have SSN, it should go through a manual verification process AGAIN, which takes upto 35 days. If you apply, you can not contact any(other) DMV office until you hear back from them.
* If you show them more than one document at a time, like I-94 +/- EAD +/- I-797 +/- H1B Visa, YOU ARE SCREWED
* You don't have rights to open your mouth asking any questions

I have sent complaints to state authorities. They are kind enough to look at our case and called us back, explained that the system is new & field inspectors are not trained. They confirmed that the practice followed in the DMV office is not acceptable.

There are many who have such problems, stay home without license, take off from work for weeks, jeopardizing their profession.

But will they stand their ground? Unfortunately NO.

As soon as their license is approved after 2/6 weeks, they go to sleep for 12 months.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
iv1 is on a distinguished road
Default Driver License Renewal on hold due to Misspelt Name

On my driverís license my name is spelt Preya instead of Priya because my previous employer made a spelling mistake on my H1. I transferred my H1 to another employer and that H1 shows my correct name as Priya.

I went to DMV in Wayne, NJ to renew my license which expires on 24 Dec 2012. They said they cannot renew it because my license has the wrong name and my current H1, passport, SSN has my correct name. They emailed USCIS to check if I am the same person. However they did not say when they will get back to me.

My questions are:

1) how long will it take for them to get back to me?
2) what if they come back saying that I am not the same person? What are my other options to renew my license?

My H1 expires in 2014, and I do not have any plans of leaving this country for stamping purposes in the near future.

Thank you.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dketh is on a distinguished road
Default GA Drivers Lic

Like someone said, we are also in the sate where when DMV searches for my wife's on their so called(SAVE) otherwise called KILL system its still asking for SEVIS number even when has moved to H1. They have said third level of verification after a month got a letter saying contact UCSIS from DDS.

Took an appointment with USCIS (infopass) again should be named as infofail, their supervisor was unable to find a my wife's info in their system again this is UCSIS office..then they said a mail. Finally after two more week got a mail from USCIS with no meaning full information

in that. Again called to USCIS re said it should have be corrected got to DMV, reattempted and still the same ***it.

Can some one tell or share your experience if you have similar kind and way out of it.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PNarra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post
Tennessee runs ahead of all states with the honor of terrifying non-immigratants for the past 8 years, now implemented the new system of verification.

If your current USCIS document expires on SEP-14, they issue license up to SEP-14.

When you receive new USCIS document that starts from SEP-15 to 2/3 years, you are not eligible to renew your license before SEP-15

* SEP-15 falls on a Saturday or long weekend, you can not drive until DMV opens.
* Someone should drive you to the DMV to renew your license (because on that day your license has already expired).
* No guarantee that it will be renewed after that date. Because the 'verification' system should authorize the document's expiration date.
* DMV inspectors are not authorized to approve license any more.
* The verification system DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the document until the validity begins.
* If you don't have SSN, it should go through a manual verification process AGAIN, which takes upto 35 days. If you apply, you can not contact any(other) DMV office until you hear back from them.
* If you show them more than one document at a time, like I-94 +/- EAD +/- I-797 +/- H1B Visa, YOU ARE SCREWED
* You don't have rights to open your mouth asking any questions

I have sent complaints to state authorities. They are kind enough to look at our case and called us back, explained that the system is new & field inspectors are not trained. They confirmed that the practice followed in the DMV office is not acceptable.

There are many who have such problems, stay home without license, take off from work for weeks, jeopardizing their profession.

But will they stand their ground? Unfortunately NO.

As soon as their license is approved after 2/6 weeks, they go to sleep for 12 months.
Hi....I am in Tenneessee and I am Facing the same tough situation. I got my License when i was in my OPT period. I got the License untill the end of My OPT exp.date ie: March 28th 2013. My H1-b is approved and the start date is from Oct 1st 2012. When i go to the DMV to renew my license now, the DMV systems ask for my Sevis(Which also doesn't work since it's already expired as i am not student anymore), even though i show my I-797. My license expires in 3 days. please let me know what i can do! Thanks in advance!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Angry

Hi Kusuma,

I am in Tennesse and facing same situation now. How could you resolve this? Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusuma7884 View Post
I was on my OPT until May 21st 2011 and am currently on H1 which is effective starting from Feb 16th 2011.

Additional Info:
H1B Expiration - 2013.
Driver's License Expiry - May 21 2011.(Same as OPT Expiry Date)
Student Visa expiry - 2012.
The I94 number on my H1 and on my passport are the same.
I went to USICS physically and verified that I am on H1B.
DMV sent a request to USICS requesting my Visa status. ( It has been 4 weeks)

I went to DMV to renewal my DL. The PA DMV does not recognize my Visa status. It says I am a student and send the candidate to school. What should I do to renewal my DL?

Thanks for any information,
Kusuma

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dketh View Post
Like someone said, we are also in the sate where when DMV searches for my wife's on their so called(SAVE) otherwise called KILL system its still asking for SEVIS number even when has moved to H1. They have said third level of verification after a month got a letter saying contact UCSIS from DDS.

Took an appointment with USCIS (infopass) again should be named as infofail, their supervisor was unable to find a my wife's info in their system again this is UCSIS office..then they said a mail. Finally after two more week got a mail from USCIS with no meaning full information

in that. Again called to USCIS re said it should have be corrected got to DMV, reattempted and still the same ***it.

Can some one tell or share your experience if you have similar kind and way out of it.
Hi , I am facing the same situation. Were you able to find a solution at last? Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aparvathareddy is on a distinguished road

Getting Driving license in New York for H4 - Easy and effective way:
Since H4 visa holders are not eligible for SSN, one need to show 6 point proof in NY DMV to initiate for getting driver's license.

My wife is on H4 and here is what I did:
Pre-Preparation:
I called my credit card company (CapitalOne) and asked to provide me with add-on card on my Wife's name - They did that - It adds up to one point.
I called my electricity provider (PSEG Long island) and asked to add my wife's name in that bill (though her name is not mentioned). Since my surname is big, my wife's full name can't accommodate in the space. I asked to have the name like this "A & SpouseFirstname Surname" where A is me followed by my wife's complete name. Waited for the bill to generate so that it added upto 1 more point.
My wife as a dependent had Health insurance card from Cigna, with her complete name on it, which added up one more point.

What next?
I booked an appointment with DMV later in the day (1pm). On the day of appointment, we had been to Social security office and got a SSN denial letter and go to DMV office.

List of proofs to produce at DMV:
1. Copy of SSN Denial letter (Not older than 30days)
2. Indian Passport (with Visa stamped) and I-94 copy (3 point proof)
3. Credit Card (1 point proof)
4. Electricity bill (1 point proof)
5. Health Insurance card (1 point proof)

Total added upto 6 points and they accepted and my wife was through the written test.

Hope this will help.... Good Luck!!