Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of
Unhappy Driving license for filing the h1-B extension ?

Please Let me know

Last edited by skd; 08-26-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
milind70 has a spectacular aura about milind70 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd
IV friends ,
Last week my lawyer has asked for copy of Driving License of me and my wife for filing the H1-B and H4 extension.

Then one of my friend told me that INS is asking for copy of the driving license for filing the h1-B extension.

My employer is supposed to file my 3 year Extension based on I-140 in Dec this year( Dec 2007) but my Licences expires on Sept 2008, So I will I be just getting the extension till Sept 2008 and Not 3 year extension.

Any Idea on that
I have already submitted my driving license to my lawyer.
Please Let me know because I was couting on that I will get 3 year extension this time
I think i saw a query similar to one you have posted but as far as I know,it is the other way around.DMV will ask you legal proof the USCIS approved petition to limit the duration of your DL or photo id till the expiry of your approved petition.These changes came in effect after 9/11 .I had a Cal DL issued in 2000 expiring in 2005 i had changed from Cal DL to VA DL in 2004. They issued me DL upto 2010 ,just last year (2006) my wife went to get photo ID she was asked two identifcation ID ,proof of legal status and proof of residence. After a few hassles she was given a photo id till Feb 2008 when her H4 expires. Frankly I see no dependency of DL duration to the extension duration. It is quite possible DL is another form of ID issued by a State authority and proved you residency. Thats my take.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of skd has much to be proud of

Last edited by skd; 08-26-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Had anybody have to send Driving License for filing extention of h1b?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Romania
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mariusp will become famous soon enough mariusp will become famous soon enough

Nope and I just filed for my first exension.

Quote:
but my Licences expires on Sept 2008, So I will I be just getting the extension till Sept 2008 and Not 3 year extension.
That just sounds ridiculous... what does your driver's license have to do with your H1B extension?
It's true that the length of your H1 extension determines the validity of your DL i.e. if you get an extension until 2010 the DMV will only issue a DL valid till 2010, but the opposite is not true, unless we're living in the Twilight Zone.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

That is why I wanted to know

Last edited by skd; 08-26-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
centaur is infamous around these parts centaur is infamous around these parts

I just got my H-1b renewed and no-one asked for the drivers license.

Maybe your lawyer's office just has a policy to ask for copy of everyones license for their records. Lots of professional buisnesses do this (physicians, lawyers' CPA's office etc.), but this is for their internal records and to be used in case of collection issues, for non-payment of their bills and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd
IV friends ,
Last week my lawyer has asked for copy of Driving License of me and my wife for filing the H1-B and H4 extension.

Then one of my friend told me that INS is asking for copy of the driving license for filing the h1-B extension.

My employer is supposed to file my 3 year Extension based on I-140 in Dec this year( Dec 2007) but my Licences expires on Sept 2008, So I will I be just getting the extension till Sept 2008 and Not 3 year extension.

Any Idea on that
Please Let me know because I was couting on that I will get 3 year extension this time

Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
smmakani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd
IV friends ,

Any Idea on that
I never heard this before. I got the 3 year extension after 6 years but I never submitted copy of Driving License. I don't think the extension has anything to do with Driving license expiry date. The extension effective date starts from your previous H1B expiry date.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of

Will post on Nor Cal chapter group

Got Green but still working at IV

Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
omega is on a distinguished road
Default All Driver License Issues posted here

My H1 extension is under process. I had applied in Dec 2006. My DL expires on May 6. Is it possible to renew my license with the H1 extension receipt?. Is it possible to do Premium Processing now?

Old 04-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega
My H1 extension is under process. I had applied in Dec 2006. My DL expires on May 6. Is it possible to renew my license with the H1 extension receipt?. Is it possible to do Premium Processing now?
Pending H1 transfer/extension petitions can be upgraded to premium processing by sending another form (for upgrade to premium) and the premium fee of $1000.

Some states accept H1 extension filing receipt notice. Other states dont. Depends on the state regulation and state laws. You should check with your DMV / DPS of New Jersey and ask them before you make decision to upgrade your H1 petition to premium. Maybe they will renew your DL with receipt...so check before you spend that money.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega
Not sure about NJ, but in NY they want to see your i94 that is attached to your approval notice if you dont have a valid stamp.

You do have time for premium processing but also find out locally if you can go back with an expired DL (expired within a month or so) , in most DMV I think they permit extension of expired DL. I am not sure about it, but You may want to verify.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Form I 907

Actually, its called form I-907.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Read more on USCIS.gov about I-907.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
autture is on a distinguished road
Default You can get NJ DL on reciept

You can get NJ DL on reciept and employers letter. Only thing is you need to go to Trenton or other service centers and not in local office. I got it few months back when I was in you situation.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
onemay is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Heelp

Hi folks,

I'm a desperate house spouse(H4) and now not only I can't work but I can't drive either because the current visa expires on May 10 and the new extension is not here yet. The folks at DMV didn't wanna give an extension for the DL unless I bring a new I 94. Now the poor H1 has to do 2 jobs

1. work his but off at work to get GC
2. drive the kids up and down, do the shopping, etc etc because the desperate h4 can't move a finger.

Anyone in the same barrel?
Please give some toughts.