Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kgvenkatesh is on a distinguished road
Default PIO timelines/strategy (dealing with DC embassy)

Hi folks,

I'm in need of advice on if I have sufficient time to get PIO (Wash DC embassy) for upcoming India trip.
- We plan taking off for India visit on November 5th
- My son (1yr old, US citizen) needs either PIO or India visa for the visit

Question is whether I should be applying for PIO for my son now... I can go in person to DC embassy and apply for my son's PIO but I'm not sure if we have sufficient time for PIO... embassy lists 45 business days but I see folks talking abt ~1 month or less. Also any idea on how to handle situation if PIO doesn't come in time. Appreciate some quick helpful guidance....

Thanks.
Venkatesh.

ps. I'm sorry if you already read this Q under posted this under pio thread by 'Greenways'. I posted as new thread only becos my focus is more about planning a strategy than dealing with an existing PIO app.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your options

* Embassy clearly listed that PIO can not be done in 'fast-track'
* They appear to take the application received in mail after 30-35 days only. Then if they find any issues with application, it further delays.

1. If you can make trip to Washington DC twice and your first trip can be made this next week, you can apply for PIO. When you surrender the documents at counter, they will tell you when to pickup, surely within 30-40 days.

2. Get visa for your kid (5 - 10 years) this time, when you come back apply for PIO. (Double expenses, you could spend that money for airlines to visit DC twice).

Take most documents copy and original with you when you appear in person.

They won't take calls, mails, emails and faxes for PIO for 45 days from the day they receive application.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
traveldoc is on a distinguished road

They say 45 days, but we got our son's PIO in about 1 month or even less if I remember correctly. They gave me a date for pick up, but since I live in DC I went even before the date they had given to try and see if it is ready, and SURPRISE!! - it was. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thank you igvclive and traveldoc for sharing possible options and experiences, that too posting back so quickly. I'm definitely pumped up and will apply PIO in person at DC embassy on Monday 9/14. Only risk I see is around they keeping the original passport... is there any way around it? Also one other Q is if they take cash at counter for PIO fees (or is cashier chk/MO the only way to go)?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future

I dont think they do. When I applied for my son in Chicago, they made copies of all the three PP (mine, wife and son). They returned his US PP back to us. They had no original doc other than the application

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgvenkatesh View Post
Thank you igvclive and traveldoc for sharing possible options and experiences, that too posting back so quickly. I'm definitely pumped up and will apply PIO in person at DC embassy on Monday 9/14. Only risk I see is around they keeping the original passport... is there any way around it? Also one other Q is if they take cash at counter for PIO fees (or is cashier chk/MO the only way to go)?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sudiptasarkar is on a distinguished road

I applied for my son's PIO card in Washington D.C on Oct 2008 (I think it was 27th or 28th Oct) and they asked me to pickup the PIO card on 5th Dec 2008 which is slightly less than 45 days. I went to the embassy in person for both applying and picking up the PIO. They also kept my son's original US passport.
Sudipta

Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks Sdrblr and Sudpita. I'm going to carry notarized copies of passport pages along with original passport to the DC embassy. Hoping they will take the notarized copies instead of original. Wondering if anyone else had tried such thing with DC embassy.

By the way, can someone tell me if DC embassy accepts cash for PIO fee? Their website does not talk about cash option (it says they'd accept cashier chk / MO and not accept personal chk or credit card or 'other banking instrument's).

Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sudiptasarkar is on a distinguished road

I have gone to DC embassy several times for various reasons and every time I gave cash.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consulates are autonomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrblr View Post
I dont think they do. When I applied for my son in Chicago, they made copies of all the three PP (mine, wife and son). They returned his US PP back to us. They had no original doc other than the application
NOPE.

They have their own policy for certain things.

For Chicago, both mail and walk-in, they accept copies of Kids passport. But DC clearly says, in red color that you have to send original US passports, (not parents passports, notarized copies are ok)

Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks again Sudipta and Ivgclive.

My takeaway so far is this:
1) Try PIO at DC embassy in-person asap, as it's very likely to be in-time for Nov 5th trip
2) Be prepared to give passport originial. Looks like DC embassy will keep them for sure.
3) Becos of #2 do not apply PIO if they give expected delivery date after Nov1st. Backup will be to go for visa.
4) Can pay app fee in cash (instead of cashier chk or MO).

Any other helpful tips/suggestion/caution I should be aware of?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future

Is that autonomy or "Do not follow rules". I dont think consulates are autonomous to make changes to the rules and policy set by Govt of India (or the embassy).
Either DC office goes over board with the policy or Chicago does not follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivgclive View Post
NOPE.

They have their own policy for certain things.

For Chicago, both mail and walk-in, they accept copies of Kids passport. But DC clearly says, in red color that you have to send original US passports, (not parents passports, notarized copies are ok)

Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pdrona is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I need to apply for PIO card at DC Embassy for my son who is US citizen. We are planning to go to India on Dec 9th. I was checking the documents required
on the embassy website and its confusing.

Is it better to apply in person or by mail? I saw ivgclive post where it says "They appear to take the application received in mail after 30-35 days only". If that is the case its scary to apply by mail.

Venkatesh, can you pls post what are the documents required? Are the Birth certificates of parents (Indian citizens) required?

Thanks
Prashanth

Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare

Other than the 15 years validity for the PIO, I dont see any other use of getting it. Your son's US PP expires in 5 years. I would rather go get a 5 year Indian visa than a PIO. I believe you have to get your PP updated on the PIO once your PP is renewed and I am not sure about the cost for this.

I had got my son a PIO 2 years ago and it is just one more document to carry

Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

sdrblr,

I do see your point. I checked the Embassy site for updating the PP Number on the PIO card. The fee is $10. Comparing both...i think PIO is better than Visa. What do you think?

Prashanth

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hi Venkatesh,

Did u go to DC consulate and apply for PIO card? Please let me know. I am planning to go next week. Have some questions.

Prashanth