Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future
Default Health Insurance and pregnancy

My employer does not pay for dependent health insurance and I want to buy insurance for my wife. Does anyone know of any plan that covers pregnancy? So far I could not find one. I'm living in Texas.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
peekay is on a distinguished road
Default insurance taken before 30 days

Hi,
I dont have a direct answer to your question but I do know that insurance has to be taken within the 30 days of your wife's arrival in US. I had the same situation where I applied for insurance on 32nd day and got a reply from the insurance company that I have to apply within 30 days. I finally was able to convince them and take the insurance. Try your luck by talking to some insurance company like BCBS or Humana. They should be able to provide more info. I cant be of more help than this.

Peekay

Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future H1B-GC has a brilliant future

Talk to your own Health Insurance Company that your Company is Providing and ask for a quote.Even better is through your HR.Ask them to contact the company for adding your Wife. It shouldn't be too difficult i guess.

Contributed : $225
Help IV to help yourself!!

EB2-India
Labor PD: 11/2005
I-140 AD: 07/2006
I-485 RD: 07/02/2007
I-485 AD: :8/4/2010
Card Received : 8/13/2010

Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare
manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future manja has a brilliant future

Thanks. Hmm...I was not aware of this 30 days rule. I'll check with the insurance companies....otherwise I'm in trouble

Thanks again!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2007
Compare
amitpan007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No you can't

I have gone thru this exercise. There is no Individual health insurance plan in TX that covers maternity. I am expecting a baby in few weeks and switched whole family into my employer's plan few months ago and pay the difference from my pocket. If you have more specific questions PM me.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare

To add my wife I'll need to pay 500+ per month which is pretty expensive. That's why I was looking for outside options. I found some on ehealthinsurance but none of them cover pregnancy.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2007
Compare
amitpan007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still worth it

Paying little extra for few months is better than remaining uninsured. Check with your employer and health insurance if there is a pre-existing condition clause for maternity. Usually, there is none and in that case you can take a cheaper individual plan for now to cover for office visits (and pay discounted rates for those as most of them will count against deductible in any decently priced plan you choose) and later shift to employer plan as delivery time gets closer. But one thing to keep in mind is that usually depending on employer size and health insurance company you choose, declaring current status as pregnant may add more premium later.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
coloniel60 can only hope to improve

You will find very few insurnce companies willing to provide coverage for a pregnant lady and even if they cover it they won't cover much. You will still end up paying most of it.

Your best bet is to convince your employer to add your spouse to your insurance and pay him the insurance amount. Most employer sponsored health plans allow dependents. Talk with your HR or call the insurance company directly and ask them if you can add dependents to your insurance. Don't mention that your wife is pregnant.

If you are able to add your wife to your insurance then they can't deny benifits for pregnancy as pre-existing. Pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition. They will have to cover it. So the best and cheapest for you is to somehow get her added to your empler sponsored insurance.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2007
Compare
sunny26 is a glorious beacon of light sunny26 is a glorious beacon of light sunny26 is a glorious beacon of light sunny26 is a glorious beacon of light sunny26 is a glorious beacon of light

hi

If not able to get insurance talk to the Dr they have some package like 3000$ for full term checkup and delivery(normal) like that.One of my friend in tx dont have insurance so they took that package the Dr office offered him.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/21/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2012
Compare

Thank you all for your help/suggestions. I'll try to add my wife in my employer plan, may be with lower premium and higher deductible for now. Also there is this insurance I found called 'HTH global citizen' that covers pregnancy after 12 months.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dc2007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja
Thank you all for your help/suggestions. I'll try to add my wife in my employer plan, may be with lower premium and higher deductible for now. Also there is this insurance I found called 'HTH global citizen' that covers pregnancy after 12 months.
My suggestion is: "Go for HIGHER PREMIUM and LOW DEDUCTIBLE", other wise go for $3000 package.
But I can tell you even if doctor is saying $3000, you might be ending paying a lot more than that. Its medical, and I hope everything should go fine. But in case of any complexities, if you don't have insurance, you will end up paying like more than 10K (even in $3000 package).

Go for full coverage and add your wife to your insurance. This is my suggestion.

Good Luck

Old 07-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vasa is a jewel in the rough vasa is a jewel in the rough vasa is a jewel in the rough vasa is a jewel in the rough

Tell the employer you'll pay for the premium but include you in the company's group insurance.even a normal delivery costs can run into 10K plus the baby has additional costs etc . Did you have group insurance from a previous company?you can continuethat on cobra..its expensive though.good luck

Old 07-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
adurthy is infamous around these parts adurthy is infamous around these parts adurthy is infamous around these parts

I was in the same boat 2 years before , I opted for Kaiser and it costed about $200 per month.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default What is Kaiser??

Quote:
Originally Posted by adurthy
I was in the same boat 2 years before , I opted for Kaiser and it costed about $200 per month.
What is Kaiser and how to get visitor medical insurance?

-M

Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GumI485 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Kaiser Permanente is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by adurthy

Yes,KP is really gud when related to maternity coverage.All Prenatal checkups are free and they provide gud prenatal classes too.

Here is their website link:
http://www.kaiserpermanente.org/

Hope it is useful