Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ganeshpv is on a distinguished road
Default H1B visa revalidation : getting it done in India

Folks,

I have to visit India in June and I need to revalidate my visa that expired in April. I received my H1B extention last week, so that's no problem.

Do I have to go to one of the 4 visa application centers (mumbai, delhi, calcutta, chennai) Or can I just drop by any of the other centers (drop centers I believe, there is one in Bangalore). Website is not clear about this. There is an alluding reference in FAQ that says :

Qn: I am a returning H1-B/L-1 visa applicant, how do I apply for a revalidation?

You need to schedule an appointment for a visa interview through our website www.vfs-usa.co.in or at a visa application centre nearest to your area of residence.

Has anyone done this before? How long is it going to take? Is it similar to the drop-box that existed before?

I got an appointment in Delhi last year (7th year extention in New Delhi) But this time I can't get an appointment in any of the 4 centers.

Ganesh.
ps: I can't get appointments before June in Canada or Mexico either.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
black_logs is on a distinguished road

You can't get an apointment for June, until you can prove you have an emergency. Also you should make your appointment at the post according to the permanent address on your passport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshpv
Folks,

I have to visit India in June and I need to revalidate my visa that expired in April. I received my H1B extention last week, so that's no problem.

Do I have to go to one of the 4 visa application centers (mumbai, delhi, calcutta, chennai) Or can I just drop by any of the other centers (drop centers I believe, there is one in Bangalore). Website is not clear about this. There is an alluding reference in FAQ that says :

Qn: I am a returning H1-B/L-1 visa applicant, how do I apply for a revalidation?

You need to schedule an appointment for a visa interview through our website www.vfs-usa.co.in or at a visa application centre nearest to your area of residence.

Has anyone done this before? How long is it going to take? Is it similar to the drop-box that existed before?

I got an appointment in Delhi last year (7th year extention in New Delhi) But this time I can't get an appointment in any of the 4 centers.

Ganesh.
ps: I can't get appointments before June in Canada or Mexico either.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ganeshpv is on a distinguished road
Default h1 b extention

Yeah.. I realized that. And I think I can qualify for emergency appt. BUT that wasn't my question. My question was do I HAVE to go to Chennai or can I get it done in Bangalore (they have an office that seems to have drop box like feature).

Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah.. I realized that. And I think I can qualify for emergency appt. BUT that wasn't my question. My question was do I HAVE to go to Chennai or can I get it done in Bangalore (they have an office that seems to have drop box like feature).
No. Drop box is out. You have to go for an interview, because they need to fingerprint you. I would advise applying at the consulate nearest your residence. BTW, there is link on the VFS website to check the latest interview date, I checked it over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see May 12th as the most recent date available. It seems the consultae has changed their policies to provide returning people on the same visa status a priority in getting appointments.

Last edited by bkarnik; 05-01-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sundar99 is on a distinguished road
Default U can do it in Toronto/Vancouver

I thought even though you are a Indian Citizen, if you are already working in US, you can go to the Canada and apply from US Embassy in Vancouver or in Toronto. The wait times are really short, you can get an appoinment in less than 2 weeks.

1. It could be a H1 extension revalidation
2. H4 to h1 Visa stamping.

I have heard folks do it before. I have not done it myself, so cannot vouch for it though.

THis may be a cheaper alternative than going to India.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute
Default we can apply at any place

If you carefully see the qualifying options for an emergency appointment (who stays and currently working in US can easily qualify) , we can chose the earliest available date at any of the centers like Mumbai/ New Delhi/ Kolkata/Chennai. But the catch is first of all you have to entrust someone in india to go to HDFC bank to pay the fee and get the receipt number.
Remember, the most important thing is YOU must carry that ORIGINAL PAYMENT SLIP along with all of your documents.

Without paying the fee first, there is no way to book an appointment and remember it takes about 48 hours to activate the receipt number for the fee paid, in to the web site & backend system they use to tally that you have actually paid. once you enter your passport number and fee payment receipt number, they both will be tallied against a database

Recently one of my good friend had a major issue, because he took a fax copy of the payment receipt, and believe me got in to a big trouble. (Ofcourse, they honored finally after hours of argument and gave him the visa extension)

Quote:

Old 05-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sundar99 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this true ?

Does - Emergency Appoinment include - people already working in US ? are you sure ?

Old 05-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ujjvalkoul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar99
Does - Emergency Appoinment include - people already working in US ? are you sure ?

Yes it does, if you go to book the appoint (emergency) or view dates available for emergency appts (on vfs visa website) , it lists the Examples for emergency appointments and include ppl who are already in US and need to go backto join their work

Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute satyasaich has a reputation beyond repute
Default positive and confirmed

Yes. Please see
the web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar99
Does - Emergency Appoinment include - people already
working in US ? are you sure ?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
nviren is on a distinguished road
Default visa appt for H1 stamping

Bkarnik,

I was also surprised to see appt available in May at Mumbai for regular (non-emergency). Only for the moment though. After May, the earlist available was in first week of Oct 06. You get to know that only when you actually want to make an appt.

ujjvalkoul, satyasaich,

About the emergency appt for returning H1, I am bit confused. Won't they ask: "Ok, so you are returning H1. So what was an emergency that you needed to travel and needs visa for?" if you have no business emergency?

Has anybody here, a returning H1B, actually got a stamp through emergency appt by just saying that he is returning H1B and without showing any proof of a need of an emergency travel?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Default yes. i went to delhi instead of chennai

nviren

Any person who can understand the dynamics of US career will never question about tour india trip, as long as
1. you have a valid job with clean record of say, most recent W2, recent pay stubs etc;
2.appropriate supporting documentation from the employer

Also, the usually we get around 3 weeks, sometimes up to 4 weeks of vacation(if lucky) time to go india.that it self speaks everything.
on a personal note, i should go to chennai based on my birthplace, which is AP, but instead i've opted New Delhi as my choice because i got the interview date that suites to my itenarary. no questions asked at the consulate, but remember you have to carry all the needed documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nviren
Bkarnik,

I was also surprised to see appt available in May at Mumbai for regular (non-emergency). Only for the moment though. After May, the earlist available was in first week of Oct 06. You get to know that only when you actually want to make an appt.

ujjvalkoul, satyasaich,

About the emergency appt for returning H1, I am bit confused. Won't they ask: "Ok, so you are returning H1. So what was an emergency that you needed to travel and needs visa for?" if you have no business emergency?

Has anybody here, a returning H1B, actually got a stamp through emergency appt by just saying that he is returning H1B and without showing any proof of a need of an emergency travel?