Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcforme79 is on a distinguished road
Default H1B laid off!! Please help!!

I am currently on my 6th year of H1B and I got laid off. My last day of work will be Jan 2nd week. My current H1B is valid till Sept 2010.

I am July 07 filer and I have a EAD with my current employer. But my wife doesn't have the EAD or AP as we got married after July 07. So I cannot use my EAD as using my EAD will make her out of status.

The questions I have are:

1. The I-140 is approved for the current employer who has laid off me. Can I use that for my H1B transfer and get the approval for 3 years?

2. Since I am past I-140 stage will it be a problem?

3. If the transfer goes through. Can I use the I-140 for porting my priority date OR Do I need to file for GC again from scratch? My PD is EB3-I Nov 04.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/18/2007
Compare
chris has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcforme79 View Post
I am currently on my 6th year of H1B and I got laid off. My last day of work will be Jan 2nd week. My current H1B is valid till Sept 2010.

I am July 07 filer and I have a EAD with my current employer. But my wife doesn't have the EAD or AP as we got married after July 07. So I cannot use my EAD as using my EAD will make her out of status.

The questions I have are:

1. The I-140 is approved for the current employer who has laid off me. Can I use that for my H1B transfer and get the approval for 3 years?

2. Since I am past I-140 stage will it be a problem?

3. If the transfer goes through. Can I use the I-140 for porting my priority date OR Do I need to file for GC again from scratch? My PD is EB3-I Nov 04.

Thanks
My thoughts

1. Yes. (As long as employer wont revoke that I140 you can use it)
2. No (As long as employer wont revoke that I140)
3. You no need to file GC again,
what you mean by porting ? You meant say that you want to file one more Labor and 140 with new employer ? Then yes you can port that PD.
Good luck

Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default H1 B laid off

The I-140 that I have is already a substitute labor.
Will it be a problem to port this I-140 as it is already a substitute labor.

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Anyone?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
deba is a jewel in the rough deba is a jewel in the rough deba is a jewel in the rough deba is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear about your situation. Get yourself some good professional legal advice. Don't just depend on forum posts. Since you already have a substituted labor you need to discuss these issues before you take the next step. Also, since you are EB3 India 2004, you might have a long wait before the actual GC unless laws etc. change. Ask yourself if you are prepared to do that and go through the whole process again with a new employer. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in the New Year.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2007
Compare
ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcforme79 View Post
The I-140 that I have is already a substitute labor.
Will it be a problem to port this I-140 as it is already a substitute labor.

Thanks,

Shouldn't be a problem as I-140 is already approved (I presume) however I think you need to maintain H1B status because it seems your wife is on H4 and I am not sure what will be her status if you start working on EAD.

I suggest you take professional legal help. This is too delicate a position to trust "amateurs" like us!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seek legal advice ASAP

Best bet is to maintain H1 status until your dates become current, so that your wife's status will not be affected. No need to start GC from scratch though. Find a job in the same or similar occupational classification and use AC21 portability to get a 3 year H1 extension.

Worst case, if you need to work on EAD, your wife need to enroll as a student to seek an F1 status or need to find a job to get a H1 status, depending on what works best for her. Regardless, seek a legal advice ASAP.

Good Luck! Happy New Decade!

"Decorum does one dignity, more than life guard its purity."

- Holy Thirukkural