Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default E-Verify / I-9 Form is Mandatory for all H1bs?

I recently joined another employer who asked me to fill out I-9 E-verify form within 72 hours of joining. This form electronically verifies my I-94, visa status, drivers License number and SSN.
My wife has been working with her current employer on H1b for 1 year and she never filled out this form because her employer is not aware of the process. E-verify link below says you cannot join E-verify to verify existing employees but is only available for New hires while the lawyer said that I-9 form is Mandatory especially for all H1bs.

Question:
1. Is E-verify mandatory for all H1b employers/employees?

2. Since E-verify is applicable for new hires only, how can an employer comply with mandatory E-Verification for current employees?

Since employer is not aware of the process I think its H1b employees responsibility to make them aware of this process to avoid issues in future.

(Search for E-verify link of google/USCIS page for all details)

Last edited by ajp5; 01-05-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spellings
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp5 View Post
I recently joined another employer who asked me to fill out I-9 E-verify form within 72 hours of joining. This form electronically verifies my I-94, visa status, drivers License number and SSN.
My wife has been working with her current employer on H1b for 1 year and she never filled out this form because her employer is not aware of the process. E-verify link below says you cannot join E-verify to verify existing employees but is only available for New hires while the lawyer said that I-9 form is Mandatory especially for all H1bs.

Question:

2. Since E-verify is applicable for new hires only, how can an employer comply with mandatory E-Verification for current employees?

Since employer is not aware of the process I think its H1b employees responsibility to make them aware of this process to avoid issues in future.

(Search for E-verify link of google/USCIS page for all details)
I-9 is mandatory. The employer can use a paper form (the usual way). If your wife's employer did not have her filled I-9 before, they can/should do so now. In this context, the "new" employee simply means whose employment eligibility with the given company was not verified before. Similarly, once your wife's employment eligibility with her company is verified, it need not be done again unless something substantive changes (e.g., her H1-B status goes away, etc.).

e-Verify is a different thing. I am not positive, but it wasn't mandatory (AFAIK, with one exception, only a company that uses e-verification could offer the "extended" OPT to an F-1 student).

Last edited by raysaikat; 01-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
deepakmathew will become famous soon enough

See answers below:

The 1-9 form (paper) is mandatory for all companies. All federal contractors or sub-contractors with a FAR Clause needs to use everify to verify current work status for all employees, Other companies can opt in for all locations or individual worksites (states). Everify is used to verify work status for all - US Citizens (minor exceptions for persons with existing security clearances),US non citizen nationals, US Green card holders or guest workers under a Visa/EAD.

Everify is a separate program that allows companies to take the information and check work status. Some companies take the I9 information electronically with an electronic signature acknowledgement and use it for submission.

The everify company registration allows companies who are currently working on Federal contracts with a FAR clause to screen all employees or employees on a specific program with a FAR Clause or only new hires. Due to difficulty of everifying each employee individually at different times, companies may choose to have all existing employees including Citizens undergo the everify process.

Closed Thread