Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > FREE Lawyer conference calls
Click to log in with Facebook
FREE Lawyer conference calls This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
ntpatil will become famous soon enough
Default Is German airport transit visa required for travelling through Frankfurt with AP

My wife and kids will be traveling next week to India via Frankfurt. They have approved AP. H4 visa has expired on the passport. Last when I checked the German consulate website about 2 months ago, it said that under exception 4 for India, we don't need a transit visa since we have an approved AP.
Now the website does not mention about AP at all, only unexpired visa or GC for no transit visa.

Any recent experiences for travel by Lufthansa through Frankfurt on AP.

Please share, as we do not have enough time to apply for transit visa now.

Last edited by ntpatil; 05-11-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
rameshms will become famous soon enough
Default I did not need a Transit Visa

I traveled to India and back in December 2009, via Frankfurt. I showed them my AP and did not need a transit visa. I am assuming you will not need it too, unless something has changed.

One Time $100
Monthly $20 (March 07 to Feb 09)

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshms View Post
I traveled to India and back in December 2009, via Frankfurt. I showed them my AP and did not need a transit visa. I am assuming you will not need it too, unless something has changed.
Thanks ramesh. The reason I am concerned is that now they do not have AP as a acceptable document listed. Earlier it was explicitly there. So I was looking for someone who traveled in a month or two.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have any problems. Travelled a month back.

Here is the link that talks about re-entry document

German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List

PS: Don't buy liqour from non european countries or airlines and travel via Germany. They don't allow through security check. Lesson learned hard way. Have to throwaway in the dustbin.

Last edited by newuser; 05-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold
Default You need a transit visa

Asked them this question two days ago by email. here's their response

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your mail. Our transit visa regulations for Indian Nationals are listed at the following links:
German Missions in the United States - Airport Transit

German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List

Please note that an "Advanced Parole" paper is not listed among our exceptions at our website for Indian Nationals.
This means that holders of an "Advanced Parole" paper do require a transit visa or have to take an other flight route besides Germany.

Kind regards,

Visa Section, Consulate General
of the Federal Republic of Germany
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017

Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/30/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/30/2004
Compare
KRS is a glorious beacon of light KRS is a glorious beacon of light KRS is a glorious beacon of light KRS is a glorious beacon of light KRS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Came last week via Frankfurt with AP

My Family came to US from India via Frankfurt (Lufthansa airlines) last week and had no issues. All they had was AP (no other visa). No problems in India, Frankfurt or US (had to wait for secondary inspection where they were asked nothing ).

Last edited by KRS; 05-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute

"NewUser" may I ask you if you travelled back after April 5 2010 ? as the information on German website got changed after that ...and now as "ntpatil" has said they are not listing AP.

I am in the same boat like "ntpatil" I called Lufthansa USA customer service, as well as their India airport and reservation office...all the three Lufthansa sources indicate that AP holder does not need to get air transit visa. and they will take AP copy before boarding Plane in India.

on the other hand tI asked thegerman consulate …..see the email reply from German Consulate dated 5/ 10 /2010 ….says following

"Sorry an Advance parole is no Residence permit, neither does it exempt from requirement of Airport Transit visa.

At least that is what my headquarters in Germany told me, with an Advance Parole an Airport Transit Visa is needed.

Yours sincerely,
by order

Head of Visa Section
Vice Consul
Consulate General of the Republic of
Germany in Boston
Three Copley Place, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02116"

so the question is if Lufthansa is not asking for Air Transit Visa when boarding from India and German consulate is expecting AP holder to have one.....as per the above email

is there any one in Germany who is enforcing this new change when the passenger lands form a plan in India ....?

if you see the following link and fill in the correct information …..

Visa And Health - Star Alliance

it’s really not clear how the new changes are getting enforced

I am hoping someone who has just returned back to USA via Germany can inform us if any one asked or checked for a legal documents after arrival…

I

maybe it’s a very new change and Lufthansa has not just started enforcing it….but no question removal of AP from the website happened….in last month it was there before….

If they started enforcing it’s a hassle to travel via Germany

Anyone who has travelled back to USA via German Airport please share your experience

Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare

All,

Now I am confused completely. Do we need a transit visa to travel to India or when we are coming abck from India. This question is asked irrespective of the new rule (if it is changed or not)

Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
Default ???

All,

Now I am confused completely. Do we need a transit visa to travel to India or when we are coming back from India. This question is asked irrespective of the new rule (if it is changed or not)

Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute

Travelled back on April 4th. Did call German Consulate in New York before booking the ticket. Not sure if something had changed after that. You can call the consulate and confirm the same.

When I called, I was directed to the link that I provided to verify the eligibility. Also I was recommended to take a print out and carry with me if the air lines asks for more details.

Wear some warm clothes in Frankfurt as the transfer of flights invloves a long walk between the terminals and a bus ride.

Good luck.

Last edited by newuser; 05-11-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpatil View Post
All,

Now I am confused completely. Do we need a transit visa to travel to India or when we are coming abck from India. This question is asked irrespective of the new rule (if it is changed or not)
Don't get tensed. Make a simple phone call to either German consulate or Embassy.

I doubt they would have chnaged the rule as a lot of India's go through Frankfurt as a transit point - (Air India etc)

Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare

Hi newuser,

On the link that you have provided, it talks about a permit to re-enter, but states its validity as 2 years. AP is normally for only 1 year right. So are they talking about AP here ?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute raj19720926 has a reputation beyond repute

"newuser": The link now has been updated and does not list AP any more. It seems new changes happned after April 5 2010.

"ntpatil": You do not need Air Transit visa when you leave USA and go to your home county ( I assume its India ) via Germany as per the old and new rules.

the confusion is more when you return back to USA and have no other document to re enter USA other than AP. so that is where the Airlines and Gemany Consulats do not agree

as you can see from " KRS" reply there were no issue...but who knows they start enforcing it after some time when the German authorities puts pressure on the Arilines....

as of today there is a rule but it seems no enforcement....if you want to be 100 % safe get a air transit vias before you leave USA ( for your return journy to USA) or obtain a USA valid visa in India before you return back....or take the chance to travel back to USA with Air Transit visa.

the other option as per the German embassy , New Delhi....website ...if you have valid ( not expired) UK or Canadian visa you do not need Air transit visa ( even if you are not going to Canada or UK) to return back to USA.

so there are some options....you can consider.....

Hope this helps....

Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

"newuser": The link now has been updated and does not list AP any more. It seems new changes happned after April 5 2010.

"ntpatil": You do not need Air Transit visa when you leave USA and go to your home county ( I assume its India ) via Germany as per the old and new rules.

the confusion is more when you return back to USA and have no other document to re enter USA other than AP. so that is where the Airlines and Gemany Consulats do not agree

as you can see from " KRS" reply there were no issue...but who knows they start enforcing it after some time when the German authorities puts pressure on the Arilines....

as of today there is a rule but it seems no enforcement....if you want to be 100 % safe get a air transit vias before you leave USA ( for your return journy to USA) or obtain a USA valid visa in India before you return back....or take the chance to travel back to USA with without taking Air Transit visa

the other option as per the German embassy , New Delhi....website ...if you have valid ( not expired) UK or Canadian visa you do not need Air transit visa ( even if you are not going to Canada or UK) to return back to USA.

so there are some options....you can consider.....

Hope this helps....

Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/21/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/22/2007
Compare
ireddy will become famous soon enough ireddy will become famous soon enough
Default Travelled with AP

I came back to USA last week (May 3rd) via frankfurt with AP. They just checked AP and Passport and didn't utter a word. No worries... please go ahead.
485 Receipt Date : Jun 25, 2007
485 Notice Date : Jul 19, 2007
EAD Aproved: 09/20/07