Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > FREE Lawyer conference calls
Click to log in with Facebook
FREE Lawyer conference calls This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future
Default Expediting EAD Renewal, EAD renewal delay impact

Hello :

My EAD expires on July 28, 2010. I have sent the application today with request to expedite with employer letter.

If I don't receive my new EAD card by July 28, 2010, then

1) Will/Should I stop working?

2) If I do stop working, what impact will that have on my pending I-485? Am I not OUT-OF-STATUS if I don't have a valid EAD?

3) If I continue to work, what impact will that have on my pending I-485? Am I not OUT-OF-STATUS if I don't have a valid EAD?

4) Can I continue to work/remain IN-STATUS as long as my EAD application shows "Approved" on USCIS website but I don't have the physical card with me?

Any response to these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Contributed $375 so far
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light
Default mmm..... catch a lawyer

1) yes stop working
2) if they send you an RFE for job during the time that you are out of eligibility and you cannot prove an offer of full time employment, your 485 could be denied. But, this is a grey area... some say you just need an offer. others say you need to have a job...
3) if you work without ead, you will be working illegally.
4) by law, you have to show original documents to your employer regarding work authorization. so, you need to have the card in hand... but if you dont and your case hinges on that little technical gap, you may be able to argue in court that you were authorized to work, hence legal, but you have committed an erroneous i-9 submission (is that a crime? i dont know).

even i am in a situation thats a little bit like yours, my ead expires aug 10 and i applied for renewal on june 17th. so i could possibly face a 7 day gap in work authorization (i hope not).

hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_p21 View Post
Hello :

My EAD expires on July 28, 2010. I have sent the application today with request to expedite with employer letter.

If I don't receive my new EAD card by July 28, 2010, then

1) Will/Should I stop working?

2) If I do stop working, what impact will that have on my pending I-485? Am I not OUT-OF-STATUS if I don't have a valid EAD?

3) If I continue to work, what impact will that have on my pending I-485? Am I not OUT-OF-STATUS if I don't have a valid EAD?

4) Can I continue to work/remain IN-STATUS as long as my EAD application shows "Approved" on USCIS website but I don't have the physical card with me?

Any response to these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
I-140 AD: Jan 2008
I-485 RD: July 20 2007
I-485 ND: Sept 29 2007
EAD: on second EAD
have used AC21

Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
manuseeksgc has a spectacular aura about manuseeksgc has a spectacular aura about

Hi Chi_Shark,

I didnt get your analysis on "so i could possibly face a 7 day gap in work authorization". I am also eagerly waiting for my EAD but I was curious what makes you think about a gap of 7 days. Is it 'coz you complete 60 days of filing on Aug 17th and urs expires on 10th. But why 60 days, I thought it has to be 90 days before a request can be made for interim EAD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future
Default Thanks

Chi_shark for your response.

According to my lawyer, I can go on vacation (paid or unpaid) during the gap.

Thanks
Contributed $375 so far

Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuseeksgc View Post
Hi Chi_Shark,

I didnt get your analysis on "so i could possibly face a 7 day gap in work authorization". I am also eagerly waiting for my EAD but I was curious what makes you think about a gap of 7 days. Is it 'coz you complete 60 days of filing on Aug 17th and urs expires on 10th. But why 60 days, I thought it has to be 90 days before a request can be made for interim EAD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
you are right! i obviously got the application date wrong. I applied on may 17th - not on june 17th as i previously wrote.
have used AC21

Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
Default thats goood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_p21 View Post
Chi_shark for your response.

According to my lawyer, I can go on vacation (paid or unpaid) during the gap.

Thanks
thats good... thanks for the update, i would not mind going on a 7 day vacation myself if i come to your situation... enjoy yours.
have used AC21

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute

Same here.

I applied on May 18th and my EAD expires on Aug 10th. There were three SLUDs in a row two weeks after I applied, and there is no update after that.

Did you notice any LUDs in your case? Are you still waiting for a decision? Please update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_shark View Post
you are right! i obviously got the application date wrong. I applied on may 17th - not on june 17th as i previously wrote.

"Decorum does one dignity, more than life guard its purity."

- Holy Thirukkural

Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

Yes I am still waiting. No luds other than the ones for supporting documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsmart View Post
Same here.

I applied on May 18th and my EAD expires on Aug 10th. There were three SLUDs in a row two weeks after I applied, and there is no update after that.

Did you notice any LUDs in your case? Are you still waiting for a decision? Please update.
have used AC21

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
bijualex29 is on a distinguished road

If the EAD does not come in time. I have a strong feeling that you can take leave without pay or with pay.
Paid leave is a benefit. You earn the leave ( 1.5 day every month you worked legally). The salary you get during paid leave is not the salary of the day you worked. It is a benefit you received when you worked during your legal stay. Hence I do not feel that one have to be leave without pay. For example if you get your tax refund when your EAD is expired. We should reject the refund?
Met Sen.DeWine (Ohio-Senator)
Met 5 times the senator and rep staff regarding Immigration bills
Participated in Flower campaign
Coming to 18 Sep Rally
Proudly Contributed 100$ for good Work
Will contribute 200$ once I get receipt No.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

i dont think the question is about earning a paycheck. The question is about being employed or not. Perhaps it could also be termed as "being working" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijualex29 View Post
If the EAD does not come in time. I have a strong feeling that you can take leave without pay or with pay.
Paid leave is a benefit. You earn the leave ( 1.5 day every month you worked legally). The salary you get during paid leave is not the salary of the day you worked. It is a benefit you received when you worked during your legal stay. Hence I do not feel that one have to be leave without pay. For example if you get your tax refund when your EAD is expired. We should reject the refund?
have used AC21