Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.
Click to log in with Facebook
Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing. Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
troubledinva is on a distinguished road
Default Can you file 485 without Employer Knowledge

Hi,
I have been struggling with my Employer from the begining of GC process. My labour was filed on May 2007 and got approved on August 2007. My Employer kept me waiting until Feb when it would have been expried otherwise. Now he says he has filed my I140 but does not provide me any evidence. I have following questions and would appreciate if you can provide me your insights:

1) Is there a way for me to find out if my I140 has been filed. Can I talk with INS and find out about this or even get the receipt number.

2) Can I file my own 485 ( as I am current ) with out the knowledge of my employer ? Is so what all do I need.

Thank you all in advance.

Note: I had earlier posted this in wrong thread and I am sorry for that.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Compare
Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all

I am not sure how you can check if your employer filed for your I-140 or not?? I don't think immigration will answer questions from you regarding -I-140 unless the employer asks them.

regarding filing I-485, you can file yourself, but you need a copy of the I-140 or you can file I-140 and I-485 concurently. you will also need an employment verification letter from your employer stating that they will have a job for you when your I-485 is approved and also giving a job description and your salary. you can search this forum about a sample verification letter
also you can check the USCIS web site on the instructions on how to file -485 if you gonna do it yourself and not hire a lawyer. but if you want to save yourself the headache, you can hire a lawyer and they will do the filing for you and explain the necessary documents needed.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledinva View Post
Hi,
I have been struggling with my Employer from the begining of GC process. My labour was filed on May 2007 and got approved on August 2007. My Employer kept me waiting until Feb when it would have been expried otherwise. Now he says he has filed my I140 but does not provide me any evidence. I have following questions and would appreciate if you can provide me your insights:

1) Is there a way for me to find out if my I140 has been filed. Can I talk with INS and find out about this or even get the receipt number.

2) Can I file my own 485 ( as I am current ) with out the knowledge of my employer ? Is so what all do I need.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/05/2006
Chargeability
:
Poland
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/31/2007
Compare
glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future glus has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hi,

1. Yes, you can do FOIA through your attorney (hire one if you need to). If I-140 had been filed on your behalf, FOIA will show that information with receipt number. NO, immigration will not, most likely, tell you your I-140 details if you call.

2. Yes, provided that you can get a letter stating that the position and salary for which your labor was approved is still available for you.

I-485 is YOUR petition. You sign it and this is to get YOUR GC. Now, to file it, you need an approved I-140 or a pending I-140 (the best is pending I797 notice).

G

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

Please update your profile with details so that it can be helpful to everyone tracking the success
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/pr...do=editprofile

on IV tracker
http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...cker&Itemid=63

IV members are requested to update their profile with valid dates so that we can make IV tracker helpful for everyone.

I have personally decided to make this request to everyone who does not have their details completed and only then respond to the member. If a member has bogus data in their profile for tracking purposes I would not be replying to that post. This might help encourage members wanting replies from IV core team for their questions.