Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.
Click to log in with Facebook
Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing. Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
punjabi77 has a spectacular aura about punjabi77 has a spectacular aura about punjabi77 has a spectacular aura about
Default Having issues with Lawyer

Hi Everyone,

I have heard from some of my friends that their lawyer really gave them a hard time in their immigration process. I didnt know the same will happen with me too. I would like to get some feedback from people on this forum regarding what can be done incase of Lawyer not cooperating with the applicant.

I didnt know when i filed for my 485 that i can switch the Lawyer at that time. It would have been better if i had done that. The lawyer charged me a fees as if he is one of the top attorney's. But after sending the fees, for any queries regarding the file status, he would not bother to reply back. For any GC related questions he told me emplyer that he will charge me fees to reply to any of my questions. Well i thought if i am paying so much to this guy, he should answer the questions regarding the GC process.
Another strange thing is that the guy with whom i work with, he writes in his email signature as CPA, but sends paper work in the name of some lawfirm. So i think he is not a lawyer but working for a lawyer.
Now even if i send questions to my employer to get it clarified from the immigration lawyer, Employer has now told me that lawyer has decided to charge for those queries and in return Employer will deduct those charges from my salary.
Isnt this strange that if i paid for the GC process, the questions arising from the GC process should be answered by the lawfirm without charging me again.
I do not know if the other lawfirms charge to answer any RFE's separate to what you pay lump sum while filing your 485.
So my question here is, do i have any rights with regards to the service i should get from the lawyer? Well there isnt any paperwork signed between me and the lawyer. Is there anything i can do so that in future the lawyer replies to my emails and queries?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Your lawyer is squeezing you too much .. My lawyer does not charge anything for asking question but yeah, he is a little bit lethargic too in answering my question. Since you are already in 485 stage, either represent your case or change the lawyer by sending G-28 form.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
mhtanim will become famous soon enough

My suggestion would be to change your lawyer who is not cooperative whatsoever.

As your I-485 has already been filed, I don't know how any good lawyer will take your case at this point. However, it doesn't hurt asking them. I would say try something like Murthy Law Firm (www.murthy.com) or Rajiv Khanna (www.immigration.com) or Matthew Oh (www.immigration-law.com). Call these lawyers' office and setup a consultation and tell them your situation. Getting screwed by immigration lawyers are so common, I am almost certain that they have heard from many people like you.

I remember an episode of Law and Order where a Russian mob said something like "In this country, having a good lawyer in your side is like having the whole law system in your side". Reality is little different, but after dealing with some bogus immigration lawyers, once I switched into one of the 3 mentioned above, I could clearly see the difference how much better it is to work with a good immigration lawyer.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by mhtanim; 08-16-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Better to swtich the lawyer

I think you have a bad lawyer, but what do you gain by switching the lawyer now after filing the I-485. If you are expecting any RFE's you should have a good lawyer.

My lawyer is in SFO, he always replies his emails in a day or at max two. He doesn't charge for the questions, but his fee is high compared to most of the lawyers.

Sometime the employers negotiate very hard with lawyers and pay only for filing the documents. If there is any RFE or related work they charge separately. I am not sure how much you paid? In any case you will not get any money back from the lawyer if you decided to change the lawyer. If you have a specific questions, you can schedule an appointment with some lawyer in Murthy.com by paying per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi77 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have heard from some of my friends that their lawyer really gave them a hard time in their immigration process. I didnt know the same will happen with me too. I would like to get some feedback from people on this forum regarding what can be done incase of Lawyer not cooperating with the applicant.

I didnt know when i filed for my 485 that i can switch the Lawyer at that time. It would have been better if i had done that. The lawyer charged me a fees as if he is one of the top attorney's. But after sending the fees, for any queries regarding the file status, he would not bother to reply back. For any GC related questions he told me emplyer that he will charge me fees to reply to any of my questions. Well i thought if i am paying so much to this guy, he should answer the questions regarding the GC process.
Another strange thing is that the guy with whom i work with, he writes in his email signature as CPA, but sends paper work in the name of some lawfirm. So i think he is not a lawyer but working for a lawyer.
Now even if i send questions to my employer to get it clarified from the immigration lawyer, Employer has now told me that lawyer has decided to charge for those queries and in return Employer will deduct those charges from my salary.
Isnt this strange that if i paid for the GC process, the questions arising from the GC process should be answered by the lawfirm without charging me again.
I do not know if the other lawfirms charge to answer any RFE's separate to what you pay lump sum while filing your 485.
So my question here is, do i have any rights with regards to the service i should get from the lawyer? Well there isnt any paperwork signed between me and the lawyer. Is there anything i can do so that in future the lawyer replies to my emails and queries?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
punjabi77 has a spectacular aura about punjabi77 has a spectacular aura about punjabi77 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies.

I havent got any RFE's yet, but who knows....
My EAD is stuck in Name check, so i was thinking, will it make sense to ask the lawyer to followup with USCIS by writting some kind of letter.
Also i am going to talk to my employer to check with the Attorney how come a guy who writes in his signature "CPA" is answering all the lawyer questions and what all services are included.
May be they will have to rethink whom they want to keep their as their attorney..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute ebizash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Same Here

Punjabi,

I am in the same boat here. My attorney charges me $190 an hour and even after charging so much, they screw up once in a while. For every single communication, I get charged. The most stupid one was when I sent a thank you note for something and they charged me $19 (0.1 hour) for reading that email. I asked them why they charged for that and that too 6 minutes for reading a one liner, their response was - 0.1 hour is our minimum.

I also have to specifically ask for all receipts, copy of paper work etc, and guess what... they again charge me for reading those emails....

My case is straigthforward and I am sure I will not be near a GC even in next 5 years... so as soon as I get my EAD renewed cards, I will take my case back from them....

I really thought that the way my attorney works is THE NORM but may be not!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/08/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
navyug will become famous soon enough
Default GC fee

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

All Lawyers will get ticked off by dumb questions like
- My dates are current, why am I not geeting my GC
- Can you enquire with USCIS about the status of my case
- Asking attorney on a regular basis if there are any RFEs
- ETC..

I am positive that you are smart enough to not have asked such dumb questions. However you should remember that paying money for GC filing to attorneys does not mean you have bought unlimited time of theirs. Attorneys will take care of any RFEs but answering all emails and queries (which may occur on a daily basis in installments while reading forums) might be a stretch.

Can you clarify as to what your questions to attorney were so that we may help you classify/categorise them as dumb or crucial?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of willigetagc has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Hope his behavior is not because of you calling him everyday to get a status, just like some of our friends here do to the USCIS....

Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
kramesh_babu is on a distinguished road
Default Not Appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willigetagc View Post
Hope his behavior is not because of you calling him everyday to get a status, just like some of our friends here do to the USCIS....
I don't think anybody would call their lawyer everyday to get the status. Even if he calls him everyday, It is not appropriate to charge him for just an email reply.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2007
Compare
GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts GCcomesoon is infamous around these parts
Default Please name these exploiting lawyers & attorneys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramesh_babu View Post
I don't think anybody would call their lawyer everyday to get the status. Even if he calls him everyday, It is not appropriate to charge him for just an email reply.
Hi everyone

Please name these law firms who have been exploiting you. This would help new people ,so they don't assign them thier cases.

I was with RK's office & trust me they might be little expensive if compared to others, but they know thier job very well. Very responsive to any questions, queries,.......

Thanks
GCcomesoon
PD-05/2003, EB2
GC approved - 04/2008

Old 08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by willigetagc View Post

I do understand that they may get so many emails everyday and they wont have time to reply back to all emails.
When my lawyer sent the 485, ead , AP applications to USCIS last year during july 2007 fiasco, i asked him for the Fedex confirmation number just to make sure that the aplication reached on time. You wont believe, my application was entered into the system in 2nd week of Octber. During this time, July to October, i thought my application was lost, so i asked for the tracking number. The lawyer never gave me and dint even confirm if the application was mailed on time or not. So eventually i had to bring my employer into picture, and after following up and sending him numerous emails, he just confirmed that tha application was received by USCIS in end of July. SO here did he not waste hsi time and my time. had he given me the tracking number, i wud have checked the application myself. This incidence really frustrated me.

Like someone in the previous post had suggested to complain about these kind of lawyers in the state bar council..is it somethign that we can do..?
I do not plan on changing my lawyer, as incase i switch the company, the new company may have a good lawyer and at that time i can switch..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know of any Attorney who would charge for reading/replying their clients emails or answering their phone calls, unless you have really annoyed them to an extent. But you don't have to go through this hardship though.

If you really think your Attorney is not serving you better for what you are paying, then just find someone else. There are plenty of good Attorneys in this country and may be you can find one in your area.

The Attorney I had before (with my Ex-employer) was totally an idiot, he thinks he is the only Attorney in this whole world. My labor application got denied twice due to his mistake, so I got a new job and hired my own Attorney.

Only thing is I had to restart the whole GC process all over again, but now my 485 was filed and I am waiting for my dates to become current.

So go find the right person. Good Luck.

Last edited by copsmart; 08-18-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kimmi11 is infamous around these parts
Default Lawyer

Lawyers did their best to have him declared mentally incompetent. His mother explained the extent of Chrisí injuries. A neuropsychologist testified that Chrisí injuries impaired his brain function. However, the stateís psychologist told the jury that Tiegreen was focused, cooperative and capable of understanding the proceedings against him. The jury found Tiegreen competent.
Dolman Law Group

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.