Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.
Click to log in with Facebook
Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing. Self-filing, documents, forms, directions, mailing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pranju is on a distinguished road
Default Filing I-485, EAD/AP on own without lawyer's help

Quote:
ADMIN: This thread is for people who want to file I-485 filing on their own. Since 485 filing requires only one document from the employer (Employer's letter saying you have the job and its the same job description, see the sample format below in the second quote box), its possible to file 485 by oneself without additional help from lawyer or employer. This is a thread for that purpose. Even those who have the help and attention of a good lawyer can use this thread for guidance. This is the initial list of documents that are required for 485 filing and the optional EAD and AP filing. The fee structure is scheduled to change after July 30th. The fees listed below are applicable now thru July 29th.

I-485 DOCUMENT CHECKLIST

1. Payment Checks (USCIS Filing Fees $325.00 in favor of 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS').

Original fee plus $70.00 biometrics services fee if you are 14 years of age or older. If you are under 14 years of age, the fee is $225.00 with no biometric services fee. If you are 79 years of age or older, the fee is $325.00 with no biometrics services fee.

Fillable I-485 form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf

Application is sent to:

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87485

Lincoln, NE 68501-7485

2. Form G-28 one with each Application form. Dont need this if you are doing it on your own without the lawyer. If doing on your own, you can fill out G-28 for your spouse, if you are filling out the forms and doing paperwork for your spouse. G-28 shows that the applicant is being represented etc. If you and your spouse are both filling out your own forms and signing them then you may not need G-28 for anything.

3. Two Photographs per 1-485,1-131,1-765

4. Completed form 1-485 for Adjustment of Status

5. Completed Period of Stay form. Completed in chronological order starting with first entry into US, and all changes of status, extensions, exits and entries, down to your current status.

6. Evidence of Valid Nonimmigrant Status:

Copies of both sides of any and all 1-94 cards
Copies of all 1-797 approval notices
Copies of any and all I-20's (if applicable, both sides)
Copies of all IAP 66 forms
Copies of all PT Work Authorization Cards (if applicable)
Copies of All pages of passport - INCLUDING BLANK PAGES AND PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TWO SIDED COPIES; ONE COPY PER PAGE AND MAKE SURE THAT COPIES ARE LEGIBLE

COMPLETED FORM G-325A Biographic Sheet
Completed Form 1-693 Medical Examination (SEALED) along with copy of list of INS approved Civil Surgeons
Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificate COPIES and other evidence of birth/marriage. One marriage certificate needed per person
Employment Letter (see the format in the box below).
Original for employee, copy for all other

I-765/EAD DOCUMENT CHECKLIST (Optional)

Documents required for EAD/I-765 per person:
Completed Form I-765 (EAD):
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765.pdf

2 photos(full frontal)
USCIS filing fee - $180.00 check payable to 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS' with your SSN# and I-765 mentioned in the comments section of the check
Copy of past EAD card front/back sides
Copy of recent I-94 card (both sides)
Copy of visa page of passport in color
Copy of driver's license
Copy of I-485 receipt notice (if applicable)
Copy of I-140 approval notice
Copy of Marriage certificate (if applying for spouse)

I-131/Advance Parole DOCUMENT CHECKLIST (Optional)

Documents required for Advance parole/ I-131 per person:
Completed form I-131
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131.pdf
2 photos (full frontal)
USCIS filing fee - $170.00 check payable to 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS' with your SSN# and I-131 mentioned in the comments section of the check
copy of EAD card front/back sides,
Copy of I-94 card,
Copy of visa page of passport in color,
Copy of driver's license,
Copy of I-485 receipt notice,
Copy of I-140 approval notice,
Copy of Marriage certificate,
Copy of birth certificate for children and a letter explaining the reason for travel
Signed statement requesting advance parole
FORMAT FOR EMPLOYER'S LETTER :

Quote:
<DATE>

US Department of Homeland Security
United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
<your Service Center address>

Re: Permanent Residence of <primary applicant's name>

Dear Sir or Madam:

This letter is to confirm that <primary applicant's name> will be employed with us on full time, permanent basis upon receiving approval of his permanent residence application. He will receive an annual salary of no less than <annual salary as per your labor cert, could be more, not less>. His job title will be <job title as per labor cert.>, and he will be performing the following duties:

<As per job description of your labor cert Develop Java, J2EE, Web development, database dev, ETL, C++, and whatever the duties are there list in your labor cert>

Please feel free to contact us if your office should require any further information.

Sincerely,

<signature, name and title of authorized person>
<employer name>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone ,

i have three question please please anyone answer ....

1 - i have previously applied but was returned due to pd not current , what to file in the form where it say if u have appllied before ? ( i am filing on my own this time )

2 - should the salary be there on employment letter . if so the present day salary or the one with labour approve ?

3 - i have an A# when my file was returned should i use that or leave it blank wherever it is asked also my wife have TIN number is that what i am supposed to write where it ask her to give her SSN

i will appreciate anyone answering any question please

thank you

pranju

Last edited by logiclife; 06-17-2007 at 04:22 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Compare
indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold indianabacklog is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranju
Hi everyone ,

1 - i have previously applied but was returned due to pd not current , what to file in the form where it say if u have appllied before ? ( i am filing on my own this time )

2 - should the salary be there on employment letter . if so the present day salary or the one with labour approve ?

3 - i have an A# when my file was returned should i use that or leave it blank wherever it is asked also my wife have TIN number is that what i am supposed to write where it ask her to give her SSN

thank you

pranju
The employment letter should state the salary and should also say the job is full time and permanent. Also include general job description and job title matching the labor cert.

You should include your A# wherever it is asked for. You do NOT put the taxpayer ID # instead of SS#, leave it blank.

Regarding your first question. I would suggest the truth is always the truth and check the yes box to an application being filed before and add a short explanatory note with it.

good luck, I filed mine and my husbands on my own, just take your time and read carefully.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Indianabacklog

Hi , thank you so much for answering my questions , i am really happy to come across with some one who have filed on their own . if u don't mind can u tell me what did u filed with the 485 packet , i do have the i485 list , is there anything special you would like me to guide into ... did u filed the EAD together the 485 or to Chicago address .. how abt AP ? did u get the receipt .. please guide me

thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute pcs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Many of us are filing 485 ourselves

All the past experience from members is requested & is appreciated

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hi , thank you so much for answering my questions , i am really happy to come across with some one who have filed on their own . if u don't mind can u tell me what did u filed with the 485 packet , i do have the i485 list , is there anything special you would like me to guide into ... did u filed the EAD together the 485 or to Chicago address .. how abt AP ? did u get the receipt .. please guide me

thanks
Hi Pranju,

Would you consider pasting the I-485 list.

Thanks.

Ams

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default previous filers please help in filing

Hi to all who have filed and are going to file

could you please guide us wheather we should send all the paper i.e. EAD + Ap to Nebraska address or EAD to Chicago address ?

my and my wife medical was done in august last year .. will that be valid , i have read somewhere that it is valid till 1 year .. is that true .

Is there any form for Finger printing ..

please reply

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
mrsr will become famous soon enough
Default employer letter sample

employer letter sample pleasseeeeeeeee

Old 06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cite the sources

Please cite the sources of the information when you post on this thread. Either a URL or wherever else you got the information.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
new_phd has a spectacular aura about new_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default If both husband/wife are on H1b?

Can someone please explain:

If husband-wife are both on individual h1bs, and they want to file, say, based on the husband's labor/I-140 application, then should they be submitting an employment letter for the husband and copy of his employment letter for the wife? Or, do they need to submit the wife's own employment letter along with his applicaiton since she is also individually employed on an H1b?

Thanks!

Edited:

Quote:
* Employment Letter - on employer's letterhead. This letter should confirm that the job on which the visa petition is based is available to you and it should mention your salary.
.. I think Pranju answered this question.... seems like we have to submit the employment letter of the person whose petition is being used to apply for the 485. Thanks!

Last edited by new_phd; 06-15-2007 at 12:35 PM.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute checklaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone ,

thank you

pranju

Is it mandatory to submit Form G-28 ?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by checklaw
Is it mandatory to submit Form G-28 ?

G-28 is for lawyer if u r gettign the help of lawyer then yes , if yrelf then no ... but please confirm with others too - thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
aquarianf is on a distinguished road
Default are all I-94 and I-797 required?

Quote:

Hi everyone ,

thank you

pranju

My attorney said only copy of recent i-94 and i-797 required.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Many I-94s

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarianf
My attorney said only copy of recent i-94 and i-797 required.
I-94s are submitted at the airport when you leave the country. In many cases there are no I-94s coz they have been submitted and no one thought of making copies of them before travelling out of country. I am sure I dont have all the I-94s that I ever used. I submitted them at the airport when I went out and didnt make copies.

I think it must be ok if you dont have all of them. Can anyone advise if that's the case?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default i94

yes you are correct .. but if you have them ( photocopy ) no harm in including .. just to show that u have maintained a legal status through out ..

any help in employment letter please

Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/27/2007
Compare
aquarianf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes you are correct .. but if you have them ( photocopy ) no harm in including .. just to show that u have maintained a legal status through out ..

any help in employment letter please
I have copies of all I-94 and I-797 but still my attorney thinks that it is not necessary to include them. My attorney also not including any w2s/tax transcript/tax returns/pay stubs. She said, her office filed so many 485s without above documents and never had any issue. Their opinion is to supply just what is needed not more not less. But my other friend's lawyer asked w2s and paystub.