Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default How gc will solve this problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
The problem with buying a house is not just lack of greencard.

The problems are more than that. One problem is that - if you buy a house, lets say in Chicago. Then you work there. Let's say the job market goes bad. You are on H1 or EAD. Then you cant find jobs anywhere in Chicago. But you find a job in New York. Then you have two choices : Turn down the job offer in NY, wait to find job in Chicago and keep paying mortgage even though you dont have income and keep eating into savings for mortgage of 2000-3000 a month. OUCH !!!. Or, leave Chicago and go to NY, but then you have to sell your house with 6% of loss in commissions and transactions. Plus the closing costs would not be recovered if you are buying and selling in less than 5-10 year period. Besides, if prices have gone down, then you cant even sell it. So basically, if you want to move out of city to elsewhere, you either sell at loss or rent the home.

That is a possible nightmare scenario.

That's why I would prefer throwing hundreds of dollars a month on rent until I get my green card rather than throwing away $30,000 if I have to either leave the country, or relocate due to green card constraints or denial of green card.

Besides, every time there is an RFE or NOID on your 485, that house is going to look like a golden trap. I just cant handle the stress of RFE on 485 when 20,000 to 30,000 of my savings are stuck in hard-to-liquidate assets like real-estate.
Logiclife, How GC will solve this housing problem?? If one looses job with GC or without GC he will go through this hell. Except RFE(which will be very less and only upto the point), I don't think one should worry.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
The problem with buying a house is not just lack of greencard.

The problems are more than that. One problem is that - if you buy a house, lets say in Chicago. Then you work there. Let's say the job market goes bad. You are on H1 or EAD. Then you cant find jobs anywhere in Chicago. But you find a job in New York. Then you have two choices : Turn down the job offer in NY, wait to find job in Chicago and keep paying mortgage even though you dont have income and keep eating into savings for mortgage of 2000-3000 a month. OUCH !!!. $30,000 if I have to either leave the country, or relocate due to green card constraints or denial of Or, leave Chicago and go to NY, but then you have to sell your house with 6% of loss in commissions and transactions. Plus the closing costs would not be recovered if you are buying and selling in less ....
Though I agree with the overall assessment, the problem is still connected with Greencard, as it impacts how quickly one may have to make the decision to switch towns. If it is not for GC, every American faces the situation described above.

Real estate is a safe investment if the time horizon (for potential resale) is more than 10 years. Anything horizon less than that is like investing in stocks on a margin account (i.e you can loose your down).

The problem with not having a GC is that one may be forced to relocate because of lack of local jobs or the rejection of a pending application. However there are still ways to avoid a sale even though one may have to relocate.

1. If you have to move out, rent your house. Agreed, return from rent, as a propotion of investment, is less for a house than a condo. It may still be enough to cover significant a significant proportion of mortgage. Therefore buying, one can investigate the rental market for the home one is buying.

2. The remaining proportion of mortgage can be covered from loans from a 401K account, if one exists. The interest would go back to one's own account. It may slow down contribution to 401 temporarily, however one may be able to protect long run return on the real estate investment.

If one can evaluate the above two points for one's specific situation, and is confident that one can hold off a sale for 5+ years by meeting a mortgage payment through means other than the salary from the new job (in new location) then most of the risk is reduced.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Worker is on a distinguished road
Default 100% correct

I fully agree to this; GC is not the end of the world; cheer up friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
Logiclife, I agree with you however here are my throughts...My PD is Jul-05 (EB-3 India, came here in 2000) and I am sure USCIS is going to take another 4-5 years before they have a look on my case. By that time I will be in my 12th year of H1-B/EAD status. If they reject my I-485 after 12 years in this country, I am not sure, I will have enough juice left in me to worry about my status or H1B. I will not need an H1-B after 12 years, I will pack my bag and return to my home country. This is my 7th year and I am already tired. I am going to use EAD/AC21/AP...everything that I get after 485. They reject my I-485, I am out of hrere.

So someone who came to the US in JAN-07 and got EAD in Oct O7 will do everything possible to hold on to H1-B however people already spent 6-7 years...I am not sure they care for H1B that much. Just my thoughts.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold
Default I am where you might be in a few years :-)

I agree with you 100%. If you have spent 12 years waiting for GC you won't have any juice left to start the tedious process again.

I am in my 10th year of H1B. I have been waiting for GC for over 5 years now. My 485 is currently pending. I also applied for canadian permanent residence as a backup plan a few years ago. I got that in 2 years and was very happy that I had a backup. Now that its been a decade in US, I am at a point that if for some reason there are problems with my 485, I would much rather go back home (although that's a distant place too now :-)

So guys, make use of EAD/AP and feel the freedom. Life is short, don't wait ... enjoy every bit of freedom you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
Logiclife, I agree with you however here are my throughts...My PD is Jul-05 (EB-3 India, came here in 2000) and I am sure USCIS is going to take another 4-5 years before they have a look on my case. By that time I will be in my 12th year of H1-B/EAD status. If they reject my I-485 after 12 years in this country, I am not sure, I will have enough juice left in me to worry about my status or H1B. I will not need an H1-B after 12 years, I will pack my bag and return to my home country. This is my 7th year and I am already tired. I am going to use EAD/AC21/AP...everything that I get after 485. They reject my I-485, I am out of hrere.

So someone who came to the US in JAN-07 and got EAD in Oct O7 will do everything possible to hold on to H1-B however people already spent 6-7 years...I am not sure they care for H1B that much. Just my thoughts.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute singhsa3 has a reputation beyond repute

What if we change the rules of the game...
What if the restriction associated with AC21 are relaxed...
See my poll and participate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somegchuh View Post
I agree with you 100%. If you have spent 12 years waiting for GC you won't have any juice left to start the tedious process again.

I am in my 10th year of H1B. I have been waiting for GC for over 5 years now. My 485 is currently pending. I also applied for canadian permanent residence as a backup plan a few years ago. I got that in 2 years and was very happy that I had a backup. Now that its been a decade in US, I am at a point that if for some reason there are problems with my 485, I would much rather go back home (although that's a distant place too now :-)

So guys, make use of EAD/AP and feel the freedom. Life is short, don't wait ... enjoy every bit of freedom you get.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
shirish is infamous around these parts shirish is infamous around these parts shirish is infamous around these parts

Any comments on this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirish View Post
U mean to say if 485 is rejected and one has moved to EAD, he cannot go back to H1 even if at the time of moving to EAD he had not finished 6 years on the H1?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default yes, that is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirish View Post
Any comments on this ?
Yes, that is correct but according to few, you can go back to home country and comeback on your leftover visa but I don't know how much true it is.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmehta View Post
Just wanted to address one thing here - you can buy a house regardless of GC or EAD - i.e., even on H1, L1, TN etc. you still can go ahead and buy a house - nobody will stop you. Ofcourse, it is risky but you can buy.
You can also swim across the english channel, or volunteer to go to mars. no one is going to ask you. But, shall we get back to earth please?