Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
supreet will become famous soon enough supreet will become famous soon enough
Default 1099 on EAD

Hello All,

After being without job for almost 2 months, I am getting an offer for a short term project on 1099. Project is in my field and my job responsibilites are exactly same as what was approved on my labor. I am a Jul 07 filer.

Now, if in the next few months I get any Employement Verification RFE, what are my options? How can I answer the RFE while on 1099? What kind of documentation will I need? Has anyone successfully answered an EV RFE while on 1099?

OR

Is being on 1099 while on EAD a bad idea and I should stay away from it?

Related questions - I am not planning to file AC21 at this time as this is a short term contract and I don't want to 'notify' USCIS of any changes at this time. Can there be any potential issues of not filing for AC21 in such cases? My EAD will be up for renewal in Sept 2010 and I am hoping to be in a full time permanant position by then.

Thanks all for you replies!!!

- S
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
supreet will become famous soon enough supreet will become famous soon enough

Any suggestions?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Chargeability
:
Brazil
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2000
Compare
Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future Ramba has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreet View Post
Any suggestions?
Working on EAD for a short time, even in a different occupation, with 1099 is not an issue. However, this will not satisfy the requirement for 485 approval. You must have a valid fulltime, permanant job offer in the same or related occupation at the time of 485 approval as well as when they issue a RFE regarding your employment.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of

well, the question then would be, has anyone been denied after presenting an EVL which states the employee is a consultant ?

Last edited by reddog; 07-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreet View Post
Hello All,

After being without job for almost 2 months, I am getting an offer for a short term project on 1099. Project is in my field and my job responsibilites are exactly same as what was approved on my labor. I am a Jul 07 filer.

Now, if in the next few months I get any Employement Verification RFE, what are my options? How can I answer the RFE while on 1099? What kind of documentation will I need? Has anyone successfully answered an EV RFE while on 1099?

OR

Is being on 1099 while on EAD a bad idea and I should stay away from it?

Related questions - I am not planning to file AC21 at this time as this is a short term contract and I don't want to 'notify' USCIS of any changes at this time. Can there be any potential issues of not filing for AC21 in such cases? My EAD will be up for renewal in Sept 2010 and I am hoping to be in a full time permanant position by then.

Thanks all for you replies!!!

- S
Nobody is going to promise you more than 6 weeks to 3 months in todays economy. I would say explore the "self employment" option by using EAD. Consult a lawyer and no need to file AC21. Let them find out. Keep looking for better options. All the best!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
well, the question then would be, has anyone been denied after presenting an EVL which states the employee is a consultant ?
Getting a letter is not a big deal. What if I am a full time consultant in that company?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of
Cool

The problem will come, if you have an RFE for employment. If you get a letter from client, they will say that the company has employed, say for example Mr John as a Programmer Analyst for a period of 1 year. This will open up one major issue, that is you do not work for a company. The H1 and 485 is an application that is sponsored by a company, there is no clause for self sponsor. So when they see u are self sponsored, they could reject your 485.
Did not apply for EAD and AP
GREENED Aug 12, 2010

************************************************** ******************************
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGC View Post
The problem will come, if you have an RFE for employment. If you get a letter from client, they will say that the company has employed, say for example Mr John as a Programmer Analyst for a period of 1 year. This will open up one major issue, that is you do not work for a company. The H1 and 485 is an application that is sponsored by a company, there is no clause for self sponsor. So when they see u are self sponsored, they could reject your 485.
Yes, that is understood.
The question is if one has worked as a contractor and got a employment RFE and the company provided a letter stating a full time consultant job, has USCIS rejected such a response?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncow View Post
Yes, that is understood.
The question is if one has worked as a contractor and got a employment RFE and the company provided a letter stating a full time consultant job, has USCIS rejected such a response?
The AC-21 job offer must be full-time and permanent.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare

Dear Friend:

Attached is the AC21 memo. Good luck. In my opinion, it clearly allows Self Employment.

Set up a LLC company or sole proprietorship and work with an attorney. Keep the paperwork tight and upto date. If permanent offer is hard to come by , you got to do what you got to do in a legal way All the best!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare

damn the attachment. Sorry buddy I tried cant upload here.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncow View Post
Yes, that is understood.
Answer is NO.
Did not apply for EAD and AP
GREENED Aug 12, 2010

************************************************** ******************************
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute sanju_dba has a reputation beyond repute
Default where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshitijnt View Post
Dear Friend:

Attached is the AC21 memo. Good luck. In my opinion, it clearly allows Self Employment.

where is the attachment?

It was a long time dialogue from various websites / including my attorney , that you cannot work for your own company on AC21 basis.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju_dba View Post
where is the attachment?

It was a long time dialogue from various websites / including my attorney , that you cannot work for your own company on AC21 basis.
http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/immigdail...,0520-ac21.pdf

Here is the link. Your attorney is not the law. Some other attorney might say you can do it.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju_dba View Post
where is the attachment?
Here is the memo. USCIS Link

Refer to Page 6.

Quote:
Question 8. Can an alien port to self-employment under INA 204(j)?

Answer: Yes, as long as the requirements are met. First, the key is whether the employment is in a "same or similar" occupational classification as the job for which the original I-140 petition was filed.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.