Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
StukAtBEC is just really nice StukAtBEC is just really nice StukAtBEC is just really nice StukAtBEC is just really nice StukAtBEC is just really nice
Default AC21 - I-140 not approved - urgent Please Help

Folks,

I need to invoke AC21 at the earliest. I have applied my 485 and I-140 concurrently on Aug 17th. It has just been over 183 days. My 140 is still pending. Due to some reasons, I have to leave my current employer immodestly.

I know there has been lot of threads discussing about risks involved with using AC21 without approved 140. But I do not have an option at this point. My PD date is Nov-2004 and the way I-140 's are being processed, it is going take at least couple more months before I can expect my 140 approval.

I have the following questions:
1) I read in Aytes memo, that if it is over 180 days, they would check for evidence that the case is approval or would have been approval had it been adjudicated within 180 days. Now, if the USCIS sends an RFE for 140 after 180 days, would it still go to my old firm's attorney? If yes, then how would we handle this scenarrio...

I work for a Big 5 Consulting firm and ability to pay should not be an issue. As far as my education is concerned, I have Bachelors in Computer Science Engineering from India and a MS in the same field in US...My experience matches the labor cert. requirements. What are the chance that I might get an RFE? I filed my application at TSC

2) Also, if the 140 is approved, it would go to my old company's attorney..right? How would I get a copy of the same.

3) If I invoke AC21 using my EAD and in the worst case scenario, if my 140 and 485 is rejected, can I then transfer my H1B to an other company (I still have some years left) or will that be a problem because I was not on H-1b at that time?

Would it be treated as a new application where in I have to try to get into the quota or it would just be a normal H-1b transfer...

Also, I'm looking for a good attorney to help me invoke AC21...Please advise!

Gurus... please help me with your suggestions.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
saiimmi is a glorious beacon of light saiimmi is a glorious beacon of light saiimmi is a glorious beacon of light saiimmi is a glorious beacon of light saiimmi is a glorious beacon of light saiimmi is a glorious beacon of light

3) If I invoke AC21 using my EAD and in the worst case scenario, if my 140 and 485 is rejected, can I then transfer my H1B to an other company (I still have some years left) or will that be a problem because I was not on H-1b at that time?

I think you can still re-capture any year left in your 6 your term on your H1B. That is, even after going to EAD you can revert back to H1B in case of any issues. As always, this is just my understanding and could be wrong even.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Please find enclosed herewith URL:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...ntrm122705.pdf

which is relevant to your situation.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
123456mg is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear it. I would like to ask some questions to you: Are you leaving the company on your own or getting laid-off? Cause if you are getting laid-off then you can still maintain good relations with your I-140 sponsor so no problems will occur in future. If oyu are leaving because of some employment concerns and not keeping good relations then I am afraid, you will be forced to use AC21 with H1-B transfer as the only option. Request the new employer to sponsor you for I-140 so that you will continue gettin gH1-B extensions in case your old employer withdraws the I-140 pending application.

I am not an expert and this is just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
bostonian28 can only hope to improve
Default I think you should be OK

As far as I can see Yates memo is what is addressing this issue specifically, based on that I think you should be good, i.e your current employer cannot revoke 140 (please see yates memo)......

It is my opinion....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavenkatappa View Post
U r absolutely wrong. No matter how many years u had on ur H1B, but if u switch over to EAD, ur H1B is history. It just cannot be revived. If u r so in deeply love with H1B, then u will need to reapply and fall under the regular annual quota ...
can you post a link to some website to back up that statement?

From what I know if you were counted under the H1 quota in the last 6 years, you can get off H1 go to EAD and come back to H1 without the need of a new petiton and annual quotas etc:
http://www.shusterman.com/h1bfaqaila.html
2. Is someone who obtained H-1B status three years ago, but has not been maintaining status for the past year, still subject to the quota?

If the individual was in the U.S. during all or part of that year, s/he is not subject to the quota, since AC21 section 103 amends INA section 214(g)(7) to make clear that anyone who already has been counted in the past six years would not be counted again unless eligible for another full six years. However, if the individual had spent that one year outside the U.S., under INS regulations s/he is eligible for another 6 years of H-1B status, and thus would be counted.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute gc_chahiye has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiimmi View Post

I think you can still re-capture any year left in your 6 your term on your H1B. That is, even after going to EAD you can revert back to H1B in case of any issues. As always, this is just my understanding and could be wrong even.
you can get back to H1 status, it might involve:
- filing a H1 petition (you wont be counted agianst hte quota)
- leaving US and coming back in, to "Activate" the h1.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/12/2005
Compare
duncanidaho is on a distinguished road

Stuk,
You'll be stuck forever if your 140 gets denied after you use AC21. If the 140 gets denied, your 485 will be denied automatically and your EAD becomes invalid. At this point, you have the option of filing a motion to reopen the 140 case and/or applying for an H1(that is not subject to quota), provided you have not spent more than 180 days in the US after your 140/485 are denied.
In all likelihood your H1 will be approved, but you need to go to your home country to get the visa stamped and reenter to start work. When you go for stamping to your home country there a a good chance that your stamping might be denied because you have shown 'intent to immigrate' by applying for 140/485 earlier. Granted, H1B in and of itself is a dual intent visa but you will be at the mercy of the visa officer at the consulate and the odds are stacked up against you.
So, be very very careful if you exercise AC21 prior to your 140 approval.

The best alternative is to ask your new employer to file for premium H1b transfer.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
raj2007 will become famous soon enough raj2007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukAtBEC View Post
Folks,

I need to invoke AC21 at the earliest. I have applied my 485 and I-140 concurrently on Aug 17th. It has just been over 183 days. My 140 is still pending. Due to some reasons, I have to leave my current employer immodestly.

I know there has been lot of threads discussing about risks involved with using AC21 without approved 140. But I do not have an option at this point. My PD date is Nov-2004 and the way I-140 's are being processed, it is going take at least couple more months before I can expect my 140 approval.

I have the following questions:
1) I read in Aytes memo, that if it is over 180 days, they would check for evidence that the case is approval or would have been approval had it been adjudicated within 180 days. Now, if the USCIS sends an RFE for 140 after 180 days, would it still go to my old firm's attorney? If yes, then how would we handle this scenarrio...

I work for a Big 5 Consulting firm and ability to pay should not be an issue. As far as my education is concerned, I have Bachelors in Computer Science Engineering from India and a MS in the same field in US...My experience matches the labor cert. requirements. What are the chance that I might get an RFE? I filed my application at TSC

2) Also, if the 140 is approved, it would go to my old company's attorney..right? How would I get a copy of the same.
To your old employer

For invokig Ac21 doesn't mean you have to use EAD..you can transfer your h1 to new employer.
Would it be treated as a new application where in I have to try to get into the quota or it would just be a normal H-1b transfer...

Also, I'm looking for a good attorney to help me invoke AC21...Please advise!

Gurus... please help me with your suggestions.
chk above